Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In terms of funding, I would reiterate what many (including reasonable meath fans) are saying. Having resources does not equate to success.

Dublin have always had massive resources and a massive pool of players to choose from but that didn’t stop Kerry and the northern teams dominating the 80s to late 00s. Anybody watching Dublin pre 2009 wouldn’t of known it and this narrative is creating a victim culture where some counties have a poor mentality.

What’s corks excuse for being so poor? Hurling doesn’t explain it. Kilkenny seems to be able to overcome their low population like no other county. I know it’s a different sport but look at how rich Manchester United is (barely a handful of clubs in world can spend more) and yet they are a mess.

Resources help but Its not what you have , it’s what you do with it that counts. If other counties were run better they would do better, throwing money at dysfunctional county structures would be a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Why were New York able to travel to Ireland this year, and never before, has something changed?

like, I also wonder what happens if they reached the final. Would they stay in Ireland for a few weeks or travel over and back. I presume many of them have jobs and families in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This year it seems they only selected players that had legal status in the US, be that Irish on visas or American born.

That cuts down on their playing pool but at the same time allows US born players to be given a chance to develop rather than being usurped by the next better Irish player that comes over illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Very little credit going to Clare here after their win. They are a decent side, operating consistently at D2 level for several years, and I fancied them to beat a Meath team, coming as they do from the wasteland that is Leinster football (sans Dublin obviously.)

Collins has a well drilled, organised side there, Munster's second team for years, and they deserve great credit imho. The discussion on the sh1t show in Meath can wait

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

They are counties that seem to be able to get things done when they get to All Ireland finals in the past. Might not be this year but both teams have great potential and are counties that don't have the fear of winning finals that has paralysed Mayo in the past and will do going forward.

• Advertisement

The talk of Galway making a final is fanciful imho.

Defensively they are poor, poor tacklers, that constantly grab in and pull. I saw them 3 times against roscommon this year, and this was the case in the first 2 games especially. Last week, a combination of a more tolerant referee and a roscommon side playing on their heels and afraid to commit to attack, let them off the hook, but I think a team that gets lads running at them at pace will get a lot of joy, as well as them having an unproven goalkeeper and GB line that is susseptible to a hopeful long ball.

Whenever Galway win one game, they are suddenly All Ireland contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So, what major finals in recent years do Derry and Galway have such a great record in as opposed to Mayo?

Id rather be getting to AI finals and losing them than not getting there and instead basking in glories of years gone by

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I always think if Galway and Mayo merge would be some side. Historically Mayo produce great backs and Galway produce great forwards.

At least Galway play to their strengths now. Before under previous management they used to try the Donegal McGuinness style- didn’t suit them at all. I Remember a div 2 final between Kildare and Galway. Both playing defensively no one wanting the ball. Or moving it fast. Yet both having great sets of forwards. Was frustrating to watch as a neutral.

For some reason in Gaelic football in general teams seem to struggle to find balance.

Either all out attack or safety first defensive stuff with side to side stuff. I can never understand why teams cannot vary styles within a match itself, depending on necessity. Or the way a game is going.

Maybe Gaelic Football players can only be ‘programmed’ to one style? And don’t have the wherewithal to show nous and independent thought on the field of play? Haven’t the football brains to do it? So things have to be kept extremely simple??

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Galway in 1998 and 2001 and Derry in 1993. My point is when they get there they have a chance of getting over the line because mentally they don't have an inferiority complex which Mayo have sadly developed in finals. We all know they can take anyone out on the way to a final. Look at all the teams that have beaten Mayo in finals and dropped off the top afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tyrone 1-00 Armagh 0-00 3 minutes gone.

• Advertisement

Did you actually watch Galway v Mayo this year. Galway played a mass defence that day, not unusual for them either. The stereotypical Galway have great forwards/play attacking football is 30 years outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Unable to watch, can anyone recommend a live score app with push notifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,831 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nice show of respect by the spectators at the Armagh v Tyrone match, applauding in the 27th minute in support of the Harte/McaAreavey families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭rolling boh

enjoyable match so far still difficult to call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Why is Rian O'Neill playing in defence for most of the game?

Look at all the teams that have beaten Mayo in finals and dropped off the top afterwards.

1989 Cork - Won it again in 1990.

1996 - Meath, won it again in 1999 and lost final in 2001.

1997 - Kerry won again in 2000 and multiple times in the 2000s

2004 - Kerry, won three more in the 2000s, and contested every final for the rest of the decade.

2006 - As above

2012 - Donegal, finalists again in 2014.

2013 - Dublin, team of the decade.

2016 - As above

2017 - As above

2020 - As above

2021 - Tyrone, time will tell.

So tell me what teams have "dropped off the top afterwards" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Eamon Fitzmaurice is brilliant as co - commentator, great insight and fully aware of everything that is happening on the field. I know some people don't like his voice, but I have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Armagh are hugely frustrating to watch...so many promising attacks come to nothing due to dreadful decision making.

The longer it continues, the more you can just see Tyrone picking it up and edging them out.

Why do the Armagh defence seem to be asleep for a minute after a free is awarded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

God I hope Armagh win today.

Tyrone are just detestable

Tyrone will settle for being just a point down at half-time, could have been much worse. Armagh could have had a few more goals than the one they have.

Tyrone jus keeping in touch here. Armagh threatening but not getting a great return on the scoreboard. The early goal keeping Tyrone close.

Interesting to contrast the vibe around this game and around the Ulster final last week, without the tut-tutting and negative commentary from McStay and Marty.

Indeed. Tyrone are obsessed with fouls, when they are not committing one they are trying to buy one

Interesting to contrast the vibe around this game and around the Ulster final last week, without the tut-tutting and negative commentary from McStay and Marty.

But the teams look far more interested in going forward and trying to play this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

One of the big differences is that there is football being played in this game, unlike last week's horror show

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

The can feck off with their tattoos and white boots as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I actually thought Mayo v Monaghan was a worse game than Derry-Donegal the previous week, and lower scoring.

but last week RTE would have you believe is the worst game of all time. Let the viewer judge for themselves, if they’re not enjoying it they can turn the TV off.

sky sports just commented on the match as it unfolded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whatever about Galway, bringing up Derry's two appearances (one of which they lost) in an AI is utterly pointless. You could justa s easily argue that Mayo have a great record in defending all ireland titles

• Advertisement

They really need to sort out the black card.

The purpose of it was to stop people dragging down players for a goal scoring chance.

The one given there was a nothing touch of a players shoulder who was behind the play and no threat to the attack.

Not alone was the decision wrong, the implementation was also wrong in what was supposed to be achieved.

They need to stop giving them to players in silly positions and just use the yellow.

In the Galway/Ros game, Molloy got one for a tackle on the sideline near half way, yet one of the Roscommon backs pulled Comers jersey to prevent the goal chance and stayed on. I'm going to assume it was that he didn't meet the barometer and because he "pulled the jersey" it wasn't a black card.

They need to adjust it and any cynical foul preventing a goal chance is a black card, regardless if it's a trip, pull or drag down and use the yellow for anything outside of that.

Advertisement