Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital My Cloud (Recertified) 6TB drive - €135 delivered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Has anyone any experience with these? Are they any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭micks_address

Would Plex stream 4k media stored on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭jeffk

Wondering the same myself as did ask about a NAS in another forum

Even 1TB to use for pictures and videos backup from phone and if can do X265 you would get a LOT of videos/TV on it

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

down to 99€ now and 90€ with the coupon free delivery!

I have a 4TB which they now unsupport and took offline - worried they would do the same with this.

Ordered it at 135...no brainer at 99. Might get second one for a backup. I don't suppose they'd refund the difference?

• Advertisement

you could always ask. Order confirmation says 30 Day Money Back Guarantee so you could return and buy another.

I got it for €90 free delivery - no brainer as you say - cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

All gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

12s on adverts for 130 or thereabouts. WDs B stock is kinda crap value tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 benzene12

Had one a few years ago and did not work for plex (can't install the Plex server app). They have a second product "My cloud home" which works fine for plex, costs similar but does struggle on 4k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

It says it supports DNLA out of the box... no need for plex server?

Most newish TVs can connect and stream from DNLA devices... (even my 2014 LG tv can) so no client needed on tv either maybe?

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

I googled the model I ordered and there was instructions on installing Plex server.. should have mine before evening so will report back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭jeffk

I looked up speeds and be very lucky to get 80 compared to USB3 speeds of about 160 (im using old hardware so might be faster again)

I would not like to have to copy/move a few TB at those speeds, you cant even hook it up over USB to get the big transers over with and then live with speeds as you go

Im guessing some people will get it for the drive alone, so wont effect them

Mine arrived this evening... No Plex support..has twonkey server qpp running.. able to stream Blu ray backup to Kodi on the tv.. copying on UHD backup will see how it goes..doesn't seem awesome so far

Tried playing a 4k file via Kodi and it actually works fine... Doesn't play if I'm copying on files at the same time... Says source to slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

8tb same link for 119?

Sorry my bad, out of stock too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Sounds ok - Might be idea to ensure its on latest firmware - if you will be password protecting the device - apparently its easy to work out the admin password.

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/research/rbs-2021-003-twonky-server/

Western Digital (WD) has fixed these vulnerabilities in WD My Cloud OS version 5.10.122.

“Roll it back”

Yeah there was a firmware and software update due when set up. I had some trouble playing back so 4k movies via Kodi on my tv. It's saying source is to slow but not sure that's the problem. Searched a bit and apparently players can struggle with higher bit rate stuff.

seem to be getting on well with mine now.. had it plugged into satelite mesh unit and was getting source to slow on kodi on my tv for some 4k hdr backups.. plugging directly into the main router - which is close to the tv seems to have solved the issue..

Just checking are you able to access remotely from outside your home network? I had an OS3 version of this previously and not sure if we now have OS5 as I am not getting the cloud access icon on the wdmycloud/UI. firmware is v04.06.00-111. PM me if prefer to take this off topic.

thanks

Havent tried and not really using it for that.. local 4k access only.. don't think I'll be a transcode from it as no Plex server support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Anyone else's arrive in a generic brown cardboard box, inside of which there was no 'drive box' just the drive supported by 2 pieces of styrofoam! Dreadful level of protection for a drive, plus there was a big hole in the box. Expecting it may be damaged but of course it doesn't come with a cable and requires an old school usb-a to usb-a cable, so awaiting that delivery before I can test.

? Its a network drive so connect with included Ethernet cable to your router and run the setup instructions?

Their recertified stuff always comes in plain packaging. A cardboard box with the drive suspended in styrofoam is perfectly adequate protection for shipping.

The USB port is for importing files from a USB device, or sharing the contents of a USB device. You cannot plug it into your computer with a USB-A to USB-A cable. Don't even try, you could blow a fuse on either port.

---------------------

In general I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this product. It's a cheap way to get 6TB but it's not a great NAS. I strongly discourage exposing it to the internet because this type of device generally is riddled with security flaws and they rarely if ever get patched. In the last few years there has been multiple crypolocker-style attacks on cheap NAS devices - WD, Synology, Qnap.

Ah, ok, my first network drive, my bad, thanks for the info, I thought I could just use it as a standard drive.

Ok, thanks for the info. I disagree about the suitability of the packaging but each to their own.

turns out it's OS3 so no remote access - only local access - this should have been in the product description details when being sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Unregistered Users

DO NOT update if you need your MyCloud to work within your local network only. With the firmware it comes, DLNA feature works out of the box.

Regrettably I updated to newest and after that spent the whole day trying to figure out why it disappeared and how to make it accessible back again. Fixed it eventually, but I'm not happy.

And it is not possible to downgrade it, at least not without hacking it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Install twonky app and get the media player to rescan.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Advertisement