Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage gasket Dublin

Options
  • 01-06-2022 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

1 month old Sage Barista express and suddenly group head starts leaking tonight. Now it’s had a LOT of use in 1 month but still unimpressed.

anyhow will be on to sage tomorrow but I assume from Google it’s a gasket gone. Can you buy them anywhere in Dublin or is it online only with a few days delivery (family event this weekend and ppl expecting nice coffee)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Snap! Had the same thing happen this morning. Would love to know if there's anywhere it can be bought in person.

This is actually my second Barista Express machine - bought the first one last November and all was ok until it suddenly blew the gasket after around 3 months of use. I replaced the gasket a couple of times but it kept happening so Sage replaced the machine in March. Everything was ok until this morning. Very annoying, but in a way I'm glad you posted as I was beginning to wonder if it was just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You can get a replacement here - https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/breville-sage-group-gasket-16636-p.asp

They're based in Galway and offer next day shipping with DPD. Used them a few times in the past and always found their service to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any grounds on the rim of the portafilter when inserting will negatively affect the life of the gasket.

Seems to be an issue with Sage, though!

Anyone know why there are so many ads on Adverts for Sage Barista Express machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Entry ticket for the world of espresso. If you didn’t like the experience , you sell it .

If you liked it you’ll sell it too and buy something decent instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Saw this last week, and lo and behold my own barista express has developed an issue this morning. Before I go and order a gasket or two in vain, does it sound like the right repair for a machine that starts off ok, but as the pressure ramps up the gasket seems to dislodge itself in one spot, and water leaks from the group head? While I've yet to fully remove the gasket to note any damage or wear, I did take the shower screen off and the gasket seemed to sit back into place, but popping loose again on the very next attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Yeah that sounds like the same problem. My gasket had a very minor tear this time (see attached pic), but that was the end of it. I only saw the tear once I took it out. Replaced it and everything is back to normal.

Will see how this goes, the intervals got shorter with my previous machine and the gasket was going every couple of weeks, until they ultimately sent a new machine. I am fairly careful about any grinds on the portafilter, flush the group head after every shot and I run the cleaning cycle at least once a week so not sure what more can be done to prevent it.

Thanks for that, it's informative. I since removed the gasket and didn't note any damage on it (though may have unwittingly caused some by trying to grab it to get it out!), and upon reseating it and running a cycle with an empty double wall basket it seemed to stay in place, but the pressure didn't get as high as I'd aim for with the single wall, so may not be conclusive. I'm thinking I'll order one or two to have anyway, and try maybe once more with the current gasket and some of my tide-me-over beans. The machine is about a year old at this point, and used a couple of times most days, so it may well be just worn out.

You would replace gasket and shower screen every 6-12 month anyway with any espresso machine. I know, some people just don't bother, but every 12 month definitely way to go .

Why the shower screen?

I've had the same shower screen in my Gaggia Classic for about 16 years. It gets soaked in cleaner periodically and any blockages cleared with a pin. I don't see any need to change it.

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Normally you want equal water distribution through all puck . It is hard to believe that after 16 years all holes in the shower screen still same size .

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Ours went again. Sage have agreed to replace machine as only 5 weeks worth of use

Touch wood, the new gasket seems to have resolved my issue. I suspect the old one was a lot more worn than I'd realised, as the new one makes for a much snugger fit and stiffer rotation in locking in the portafilter. Now that I feel that, I do seem to recall similar when I first got the machine, but with the gradual loosening it wasn't something I really noticed happening.

Funny, I find the opposite with the gasket on the Gaggia.

When new it's a really soft push on the portafilter to get it nicely tight but as the gasket ages, it gets harder and it takes much more pressure to get the portafilter in such that it doesn't leak.

I wonder if it is related to grouphead milling quality.Place for the gasket milled too deep, so there is very little rubber sticking out.

If this is the case I would just add sort of a washer between gasket and grouphead . ( Cut it from cardboard).

Here the example for different machine:

as you could see 2 gasket and 1 cardboard washer.

Normally, classic espresso machines last 10-20 years , so grouphead worn out to the stage it needs such a washer.

I'll be very surprised if Sage would last 10-20 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Thanks interestingly the new machine has a much much snugger fit right off the bat. No comparison in the two.

Advertisement