Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Get a group of 6 together and try in all the sales and you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

We got one in resale this year and through to but twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Big crew trying for tickets is not a guarantee of success but easily the best way to go about it. We got nothing for 2019. We were all sorted for 2020. Only had one drop out in the 2 years since which is pretty good going. Mostly newbies so I am looking forward to seeing their reactions.

Anyone get the tickets yet (from those that had See change to delivery?).

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Not yet. I'm assuming I'll get an email to say they have been posted.

I'm nervous about this festival. I'm already thinking of the hangover. I haven't been to a festival in a few years. I'll need to massively adjust from my usual behaviours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

🤣 Thank Christ I'm not the only one ! It's been 18 yrs since my last festival.

I know fine well the proverbial 'pace yourself' will go out the window but feck it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

At the risk of starting an argument, that recent lack of tickets could be some slight bit of karma. Even when I had almost no cash at my first Glasto in 1986, and got offered a wrist band thrown over a hedge, I still paid the £17 entry. I had other chances in 1989 and 1999 but paid in. Options via security guards taking bribes in later years but I either had a ticket or didn't go.

I'm not holier than thou (hey, hop over the fence at Coachella or Primavera please) but Glasto has always been a not-for-profit festival that used to give all monies to the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament so I didn't want to cheat them of the cash. Later on it was Water Aid/Oxfam/Greenpeace so I'dd not achieve anything by effectively stealing cash from those lobbying charities. This ain't some monstrous corporate promoter running a festival. It's a farming family with a lot of decent people working for nothing or very little. They've turned down huge broadcasting offers from Sky and others so they can keep it for public broadcast on the BBC. They've refused loads of corporate advertising and don't have a beer sponsor, never had.

Great people, glad they're still going against the odds and they deserve every last bit of cash we give them for putting on the greatest show on earth. Ethics matter.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

You'll get no argument from me. Discussion and debate, yes, but no argument. My attitiude would have been "it's sold out so it makes no odds if i get in for free". Now, you can say that put extra pressure on resources, and created problems with licensing, but i wasn't thinking about that back then.

As for karma? I don't think so. I bought tickets in 2007/08/10. I couldn't justify the expense after that. A mate of mine went back in recent years and that piqued my interest again. We've had four people trying and no joy. It really is the luck of the draw and i'm ok with that.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

It's a marathon, it's always best to not go too hard on Wednesday. Save it for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

There's so many food places I want to try this year, that'll be the main focus on Wednesday I think, just a dander about without using up too much energy.

• Advertisement

Last time I went before the wall went up was 1999. That was dangerous, got into a near crush on a bottleneck crossing the small bridge between the Pyramid and Other. My girlfriend at the time was terrified, me not so happy either. A couple of people fall and you'll have multiple deaths in a stampede. Entirely down to having circa 220k people on a setup designed for 100k. Some bad vibes too with people getting narked by the overcrowding. Ironically some of that by those who'd scaled the fence. And much theft. More or less wiped out since.

Because of the gatecrashers in 1999 and 2000 the festival was almost shut down. That freeloading would have deprived many festival goers of entertainment and charities of income. Not cool in my eyes.

Most of the 80s and 90s fests also didn't sell out, even some in the 2000s so generally people entering without paying were directly taking cash from charities who needed it.

And I agree re luck of the draw. 2022 my first success for eight years and am content if I don't get tickets for another 4/5 years. I wish there was some system where those going in 2022 were invalidated for 2023 to give a different 140k people a chance of attending next year.

The seated sushi restaurant at the Park Stage was always great. Appeared at the Picnic twice but not over the past decade. And the obligatory Hare Khrishna freebie near West Holts. It's also my fave area for food stalls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't think the busses will be going from Temple Meads, more likely to be from the bus station which is a bit of a hike away with bags and tents in hand. The shops to stock up are nearer the bus station though.

Unless you have time to kill, or people to meet, you'd be better finding some form of transport like a taxi straight from the airport though. Not that I've done it myself as I always had a local pickup when flying in, but its really easy to spot Glastonbury goers on the flights over from the Tuesday to see if you can share a lift if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAEACA

No ticket dispatch email here either as yet.

I've always had tickets in hand by 4th June in prior years so this year will be the latest.

From looking at prior years, seems to take 6 or 7 days from dispatch at See Tickets in Nottingham to arrival at my house.

By that logic, any dispatch later than this Friday (10th) will be cutting it unbelievably tight.

See you at the box office queue!

I wouldn't be surpirsed at this rate. Did you also request tickets to be posted over?

SEE seem to be well behind compared to previous years. Dispatch tracker at 49% with 2 weeks to go!

Also looks like they've messed up Download Festival carpark tickets, gates opening Wednesday and only 53% of passes sent out. Download telling people on Twitter to being email confirm and ID to carpark gate. (Although they also state people may get them tomorrow).

I experienced a similar crush in 1993 when going to see The Orb on the NME Stage. My feet were briefly lifted off the ground after we passed through one of the (much narrower back then) bridges. Unpleasant alright. But yeah by 2000 even i thought it had gotten out of control and things had to change.

I'm pretty sure all the '90s festivals (except 1990) were sell outs. Some quicker than others but you certainly couldn't buy a ticket at the gate. Different times, and i must admit that in the '00s, despite it still being an amazing festival, i did miss the wildness of the previous decade.

Glastonbury ruined Feile for me though as i saw what a festival should be! It wasn't until EP that we got anything remotely similar on this island.

Re: the food. A real eye opener all those years ago. All we ever got here were dodgy chip vans and someone selling sandwiches 😂

I didn’t because I don’t mind collecting them at the gate and I don’t trust seetickets anyway. I can do without wondering whether or not they’ll arrive on time.

A few of the nineties fests didn't sell out, greatly due to people being able to get in for free. I only went once in that decade (1999) and one of our group was able to buy a ticket on the Wednesday before we drove down on the Thursday. Still loads on sale. I then had a ticket for 2000 but sold it on, my pals didn't enjoy the crushes and nor would I but missing Bowie one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

I returned in 2003 and what a difference. The wildness gone but one hell of a mellower festival. And the extra cash they've got since the wall came up has allowed them to develop Arcadia, the South East corner and other areas. Nothing matches thee thrill of the early Glastos I went to in the eighties but for me it's evolved year by year and is a far superior festival. Same with EP, but I understand why many people would prefer the rawer and wilder versions of it. Still the greatest fest of all and I can't wait to get back there.

• Advertisement

Collecting them at the gate means you have to trust See Tickets regardless. I'd prefer them delivered and if they don't arrive, worst case scenario, I'll get them at the gate.

Automated email just arrived from See stating that my "tickets are now in stock and are currently being prepared to be printed and then dispatched. Once dispatched, we will notify you via email"

As long as they aren’t still on the way to your postal address when you have to leave for the festival. This happens to people on efestivals who come from the states or further abroad and leave a week or more before gates open. You should be ok coming from Ireland but it can still take a week or more to post stuff between the UK and Ireland now. With just over 2 weeks to go I’d want my tickets to be arriving this week really.

Can easily cancel and have a copy ready at the gate. My post from the UK is taking two days at the moment. No guarantee of that with See Tickets but I'd expect the Glasto ticket next week. If no issues then it'll save me a fair bit of time and stress getting in.

Are you in the UK or one of the heads in Ireland that got Seetickets to update to delivery?

I'm in Ireland.

I emailed See the week I paid the ticket balance to request tickets be posted.

Automated email arrived at 11.47am this morning so will be interesting to see if the actual "dispatch" email with tracking arrives this evening/tomorrow.

Will post here once I get a further update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Get those tickets, folks

Update: Another person who is travelling with us but paid for ticket separately has just received the same automated email that I received earlier today:

"tickets are now in stock and are currently being prepared to be printed and then dispatched. Once dispatched, we will notify you via email"

No follow on from yesterday's automated email as yet. So tickets still not sent. Really pushing it tight now.

Friends (based in Ireland) who had their tickets changed to delivery reached out to See asking what is going on and got asked if they wanted to switch back to collection. They'll likely take it as they need to head out on the Monday before the festival so the last post is about 10 days away (9 if An Post don't deliver Saturday). I've a feeling I'll be reaching out to See to do the same as there is no movement on my ticket. Has ANYONE in Ireland got a ticket posted yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Got that automated email yesterday morning also, but it's just repeating what's been on my seetickets customer service portal the last 2 months anyway! I emailed the guy who said they'd switch mine to postal asking what the story is, will let ye know if I get a response, have a feeling it'll be an offer of collection again also 😫

Advertisement