Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland: how do I choose a health insurance plan?

• 05-06-2022 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I left Ireland at a young age, and mostly lived in England where of course I simply had NHS healthcare and didn't have to go choosing providers or plans. I've just have moved back in with an elderly parent to look after them.

Yes I have found the massive listing of plans via the HIA comparison tool. Really, I want people's experiences, recommendations for providers, what to look out for, what to avoid, and any advice really. (So please no one say "just look through the list and see what suits". ;) I'm male, in my 60s, and am in reasonable condition for my age, but of course that could change.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'll give my thoguhts but really it s alittle different as I'm in my late 30s so possibly a little differently.

• think about what you need it for. I don't want to get money back for Gp, physio visits so I ignore schemes that include them, I'm using health insurance to cover the black swan insurances. Usually cut the cost a bit.
    • how much of an excess are you willing to pay. If you're willing to pay the first 250/500 of a claim, again it brings the bill down a bit.

That leaves me with a more affordable insurance to cover the big health issues in my life that might pop up, little cover for day-to-day expenses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doyler58

Mostly retired (I have bits and pieces of income, almost all UK, with a large chunk being a UK company pension). I will have a UK state pension in a few years.

I have no Irish pension, never having paid tax in Ireland or the Irish equivalent of the UK's National Insurance.

Thanks. Yes, I too am mainly concerned about black swan events: I'm coping financially (I can go to pubs, have European holidays, don't have to worry too much about energy costs etc.), so I can cover a 250 or 500 excess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Then you need to check out if the HSE will allow you to access their services without payment and you may find that the NHS are still responsible for your healthcare...

I looked into retiring to Ireland about 12 months ago and I was rejected by the HSE. While they accepted I was an Irish citizen, that I had been resident in the state and that I had made 3 years contribution - as a retired person with not entitlement to an Irish pension, I'm not their problem when it comes to health cover.

I live in Switzerland and the HSE told me to contact the Swiss authorities. When I did, I was surprised to discover they were fully aware of the situation and even had a specific policy to cover me in Ireland! I'd need to pay 350 Euro a month for full private care in Ireland and access to Swiss standard care should I decide to come back to Switzerland for treatment.

Now I don't know how this has changed with BREXIT for UK pensioners moving to Ireland, but for UK pensioners moving to Switzerland the NHS pay the full costs of healthcare here for them.

I'd say before signing up for anything you should check out exactly how you will be treated and what you need to cover.

• Advertisement

Advertisement