Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Alternative Free?

Options
  • 02-06-2022 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

I'm currently using Microsoft Outlook 2007 as my email client but as of today it no longer works with GMail accounts due to the latest security login requirements from Google. They no longer allow 3rd party clients to login using a username and password. I know Outlook 2019 and higher still work but I'm looking for a free alternative.

I'm thinking of migrating to Thunderbird as it does support OAuth sign in.

Has anyone done this?

Does Thunderbird have the ability to import everything from Outlook including folders if it's already installed on the machine I intend to install Thunderbird on?

Would any of you recommend something better to use?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If you about this from G ...

It should allow you to set App Password within G account, but only after you enable 2-way authentication.

Just today had to do it to be able to get use of G account in the scanner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I was able to use up until today (had plenty of notice about it in advance) but as of today the option to allow less secure Apps has been removed from the Google accounts options and Google have automatically set all accounts "Allow Less Secure Apps" to off. My understanding is that no Outlook Pre 2016 will work from now on.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

That is right for "less secure"

Go back to your account>>security>>App password

it will generate 16 figure pass that you should use in outlook instead current real pass.

read link in the post above

Worked for me on the scanner anyway after it was prevented by G change.

Not all accounts effected by now as far i can see - another scanner with simmilar setup still function without 2WA and app pass. next week perhaps

• Advertisement

I don't see that option but that's because I don't have 2WA setup. If I do enable 2WA will that mean that I'll have to get a Msg to my phone to verify everytime I want login to check mail?

As i said ... after you enable 2WA and only after.

am... there will be option "dont ask on this device" once you sign in for first time. You'll have to do it on all devices for first time.

I wonder how long the "Use App Passwords" will work before they decide to block all less secure Apps and force the likes of Outlook 2007 to become fully redundant?

It looks like "Sign in with Google" is going to be the only way to use 3rd party Apps in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭in2dark

Thunderbird is much better than outlook in my opinion

Make sure you have your gmail as imap on outlook and just install thunderbird. You will not regret it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are using a product that is 15 years old. That is a security risk in itself.

• Advertisement

I initially followed smugglers advice and created an App password in one of my GMail accounts and all my GMail accounts are working again in Outlook 2007. (not sure why they all work again considering I only created & used the App password for one of my 12 accounts).

Once that was sorted I was curious to see what this Thunderbird was like, so I installed it.

I'd heard so much about it over the years but never gave it a try.

I absolutely love it, it's so easy to setup and use, and what really blew me away is the simplicity of moving it to a new PC or clean install. You simply copy one folder and it contains everything, Mail accounts, passwords, emails, contacts/address-book, and every setting and changes you made, absolutely everything.

I would recommend it to anyone wanting a machine based email client over Web based.

2WA/app pass is different security aspect to O2007 being dated app. MS just don't release sec patches for it and don't even care about it any longer.

If you desided to move on from it, i'd suggest you delete app pass from you G account - no need to keep the "door", even if it's locked.

Advertisement