Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Feckin Louth and their anti football couldn't take out a poor Cork side. Happy with the shouts tho, 3/4 isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Kerry were not happy either. Tyrone took their chance, but Kerry handed it to them by thinking the could run through them to score goals. Tyrone scored about 60-70% of there scores off turnovers fair play to them.

However it obvious now why Keane was not given another year in charge.

As Pat Spillane says another ''one in a row'' for an Ulster team

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

To be honest as a Cork man, i was delighted that they beat Kerry last year.😁 The current Tyrone team ain't anywhere near as good as the 2003 to 2008 Tyrone team though.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I will have to reconsider my support for Cork hurling as well as Cork football after Kerry have exited.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

What’s the significance of the one in a row comment? Kerry have only managed to retain the All-Ireland once in their 7 attempts over the past 25 years. In 97, 2000, 2004, 2009, and 2014 they were merely another “one in a row” team.

Now they have fallen off a cliff in terms of their All-Ireland winning record over the past decade or so, but that’s a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But Kerry contested 6 All Ireland finals in a row from 2004 to 2009.

Tyrone, (the team of the same decade imo) would win one, get knocked out relatively early, win one get knocked out relatively early, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

7 players left the Tyrone panel this year. 2 of them were brought on in the 66th and 73rd minutes of last years final vs. Mayo, and the other 5 didn't even play.

The talk of an exodus of talent from Tyrone is way overblown.

Pat Spillane used to do a lot of after dinner speeches in Ulster in the late 90's and early noughties. His one liner introduction was that he was ''a member of the Kerry team that won four AI from '78-'81 and three from '84-'86'', he then continue and say he did not mention 1975 as '' in Kerry we do not count one in a rows ''

It was a jest but it kinda apt no Norther team has managed back to back AI since Down in 60 and 61. Previous to that only Cavan managed it as an Ulster team

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You can't really compare Kerry/Dublin etc doing back to backs with Ulster teams; the Ulster championship in my time watching and certainly the last 30 plus years has been viciously competitive.

Really great teams like Down 91, Derry 93, Armagh 02, Tyrone 3 times, ran into trouble in Ulster when Kerry/Dublin would have been sauntering through their provinces with the occasional exception of a competitive Meath or Cork team.

Having to peak in May with 4 or 5 teams in province chewing at the bit for a cut of you is very different to Kerry lads after wintering well heading off to play Clare, Waterford and Cork.

Right now there are 6 proper teams in Ulster, probably 6 of the top 10 in country.

Ulster football and Munster hurling are the only competitions saving the provincial champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

From 1962 to 1985 Ulster teams won two all-Ireland semi finals. And did Dublin saunter Leinster until about 10 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I said the last 30 years, how long ago is 1985?

How many competitive teams did good Dublin teams have to deal with in last 30 odd years in Leinster other than the great Meath team of 86-91 and the Giles Meath team? A couple of years of Kildare?

Incomparable with Ulster in the last 30 years

On one side of the draw tomorrow is

Donegal, Limerick, Kildare, and Roscommon

On the other side is

Mayo, Armagh, Cork and Clare.

On one side all the teams will be want to draw Limerick and I suspect Clare on the other side.

There is a 50/50 chance Donegal could draw Mayo or Armagh. I am not sure if Limerick and Clare have to avoid each other.

The games are played next weekend I think.

One of Mayo, Armagh,Kildare, Roscommon and Donegal and unless the draw keeps them apart two will in exit next weekend.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Apologies you did say 30 years...I thought you had mentioned Down in the 60s too.

Yes it isn't comparable really over the last 30 years but Dublin were still having some narrow victories in Leinster until around 2009.

Plus isn't there a constant debate about teams not having enough competition on the one hand and having an easier draw on the other. I do see your point that an Ulster team is more likely to be 'caught out' on the day than in other provinces but the qualifiers provide another chance in those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The taxi called to say that they would be late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Plus Tyrone have just won the All-Ireland title u20, so have a top group of younger players to be integrated next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Tailtean Cup isn't really getting the TV coverage and promotion it was promised, is it? Pretty much playing in the dark, woth even the online games behind a pay wall.

It should work, it's a worthwhile competition imho, but it isn't getting a fair shot. If it's gonna succeed, it'll be in spite of how it's being ran and promoted, not because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I liked what I saw of Armagh today only seen the second half

Nice direct attacking style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

They'll not be waiting too long I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Tailtean Cup isn't really getting the TV coverage and promotion it was promised, is it?

But what was promised?

I know plenty here and in other places said it should get x, y and z coverage, but was there anything official said about what would be covered?

It's a competition for the 16 worst teams in the country.

It's not going to have massive public appeal.

But as long as the teams involved buy into it, and the fans get something out of it then it's a worthwhile exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Better than overhyped Derry and Donegal anyhow

Going forward with the ball not backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I Don get this foot block rule. If its to prevent injury, surely its covered under dangerous play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭megadodge

Donegal beat Armagh quite comfortably only a number of weeks ago.

It's a specific rules that is interpreted by its effect. If you are 2 meters away and coming across the path of the players it's not dangerous. If you are blocking him head on and less than a couple of meters you conceed a free.

In the game yesterday the referee interpreted it right in both occasions. Banty was just giving out as his gig is gone.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭Xander10

Armagh probably would have preferred anyone but dour Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Roscommon v Clare

Limerick v Cork

Kildare v Mayo

Donegal v Armagh

Tailteann

Westmeath v Offaly

Sligo v Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Thee were always going to get Donegal, just like Armagh or Monaghan would get Tyrone in the last round. The “open” draw usually pits Ulster teams against each other because, if it didn’t, 4 to 5 of the last 8 would be from Ulster most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How does it work between Sky and RTE? I see Sky have rights to two of the qualifiers next Saturday, who has first pick does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

CK v LM and CL v RN double header in Thurles then AH v DL and KE v MO double header in Croke Park would be my guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

I dont think they'll win an all ireland either but to lay the "they play a massed defence" card on their door is to ignore the fact that everyone else does to. Tyrone, Derry, Donegal, Mayo and Dublin all get at least 12 behind the ball. Even kerry have started doing it.

The only thing that separates one from the other is the speed and quality of the counter attack. I think this is where Galway really fall down in comparison to Dublin and Kerry.

Advertisement