Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

No not for me.. Kante is pure class and a player who had it all(might be on the decline) far better ball player than Masch.

Can I ask you why you think the roles of Fab and Masch are different?

Yes different teams and styles but both there to protect. One can play a forward pass the other couldn't. One could score a few goals, the other one as far as I can remember scored 1..

Rafas best season, we finished 2nd four points off united after beating them twice. Problem was we drew too many games. Mascherano gave us that type of midfield.

He wouldn't even make my subs bench for a best of..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Masch wouldn't have played 200+ games for Barcelona if he wasn't a top class player.

Yip, forgot the back pass, I watched highlights of some of Liverpools cup wins in the 70/80s recently and the pass back was infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I can see why you’d compare Mascherano to Kante, but I don’t think there’s one midfielder in the world right now that’s an exact replica. Not saying that Masch was the best of his generation or anything silly like that, but he was just a bit unique IMO. Not much pace, not a great passer, his tackling technique was even a little bit rough if we’re being completely honest, but if you take him out of the team, you’d notice him missing instantly.

He was sensational, but I can’t really pin down any one quality of his that made him so. Super intelligent footballer though, and that’s why he was able to play at centre back for Barca at a world class level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Seeing as nobody mentioned it already but Sami Hyypia gets the nod at CB for me.

Prime Fowler was unreal, best finisher i've seen, when i read Fowler was going to Leeds it hurt...a lot. No player leaving since then has hurt as much, although if Mane leaves this summer it will be a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp would have loved Rush and he would have been the first name on the team sheet.

Salah beat Naby 1-0 in the AFCON qualifiers.

Yesterday Mane became Senegal's all time top scorer with a hat-trick.

I wonder does Mane think he has a better chance at winning the Ballon d'Or playing for a continental team than an English team.

Althought you really need to be at Madrid or Barca to win it these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I didn't say their roles were different, I said they're different players in different times. In a Rafa team, Masch's role was somewhat similar to Fabs, as a defensive screen.

But in the modern game, and particularly in a Klopp team, his attributes at his peak would see him as more of a box to box presser and harrier, along with a dedicated DM to hang back. So fast, so smart, so aggressive, and a brilliant tackler and all round leader. Wasn't the best long range passer in the world, but wasn't at all as bad as you make out either - and if you've Fab just behind you, Thiago to your left, Trent to your right, and Mo in space just up ahead, you don't need to be. His role in a modern team would be to dominate space off the ball, win it back, and primarily cycle it to better passers (though again, his ball playing is better than you say). He'd be invaluable in the opposition half of the pitch in the modern game, in a way that just wasn't done in a Rafa team.

Yet we are talking about Mascherano the midfielder for Liverpool not Mascherano the centre back for Barcelona...

• Advertisement

Milner signed a new 1 year deal and reduced terms turning down big offers from England and abroad.

Klopp would have also loved Aldo

Joyce also reporting Liverpool are interested in Nunez.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Mascherano was world class. He couldn't pass? Complete Tosh, he could pass, tackle, had pace, tactically aware, a real leader.

Similar to Roy Keane but with a slightly better temperament. He led a poor Argentina side to a world Cup Final.

He is better than Fabinho, who himself is outstanding. Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano was an unbelievable midfield.

Alisson

Trent Van Dijk Hyypia Robertson

Gerrard Alonso Mascherano

Salah Rush Suarez

Well your memory of him is different than mine. But I don't think Klopp would want a midfield player who contributed nothing going forward.

The way we play he is in Fabinhos position. Not a chance he plays further up. He had nothing creative about him. Barcelona seen this and planted him in central defence..

Anyhow, opinions are football. Respect yours just don't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Liverpool reject Bayern's first bid of £21m plus add ons for Mane

• Advertisement

Really think you're not giving him anywhere near enough credit in the passing/playmaking department. In a hard working Klopp midfield, he'd be an absolute monster in that Hendo role. And I think Barca put him back at CB because a hugely tactically aware guy who was also a deep playmaker was more important to how they played than a traditional CB. He was pushed up so much for them with all the possession they had that he was effectively playing as a midfielder anyway, with the pace to cover opposition players on the break running into space.

this is the sort of thing Masch had in his locker.

What's the point of an offer like that? Like, there's low-balling, and then there's just insulting!

To be fair this is Munich a club that is so used to taking talent for other German clubs and getting it's own way it probably doesn't actually know how to negotiate with clubs outside of Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Milner signed up for another year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I was literally gonna post something similar myself. Mascherano was a faaaar better passer of the ball than he ever got credit for, I put it down to being in the same midfield as Gerrard and Alonso who obviously always got all the credit in that regard but Mascherano was a fine passer of the ball both short and long at times. He was in the same tier as a midfielder as those two tho imo.

Post edited by mormank on

• Advertisement

Exactly. Saying Mascherano was a bad passer is just wrong. Opinions can be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Milner is more of a cheerleader than a player these days, he's a big voice in the undressing room, it's important to keep him around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

21m, did they put in a bid for OX and miss spell it M A N E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

21m or keep Mane for another year

Hell, even 40m or keep him for another year?

This transfer has to work for the club to an extent even if we don't wanna stand in his way.

Opinions are subjective, unless delusional never wrong.

Stats though don't lie..check them.

No way Mascherano would make it as more forward midfield player in Klopps team.

Never said his passing was bad, just said he picked easy lateral passes. Jamie Redknapp crab passes. Side to side...100% pass success every game. Something we could all do playing football.

Anyhow, reckon that's enough from me. Still grumpy from last Saturday. Takes too long to leave ya and Ireland are certainly no cure..

I mean, obviously opinions are often objectively wrong... literally nearly every time someone throws out an opinion about a subject they're not entirely informed on (which is pretty bloody often i think we can all agree), they turn out to in fact be completely objectively wrong.

Sure I'd say half the reason a place like boards soccer is popular is because the level of discourse is better informed than people might find in the pub or wherever.

You seem to have forgotten a lot of what Mascherano added to his teams. Fair enough.

(also you mentioned his stats... his passing stats were always really high, like usually high 80s or 90s percentage, so im not sure why you bring that up... and here's a nice one, 99 premier league appearances, 680 accurate long balls.)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

Opinions are never wrong? Wow!! Rebel has just proven that your opinion about Mascherano always choosing the 5 yard sideways pass was incorrect and yet it is still your opinion and I'm sure you will spout the same incorrect opinion again in the future. What does that tell you about opinions?

So in your fantasy world where no opinion is ever wrong how do you reconcile people having differing opinions on abortion or the death penalty or whatever? Are they both right simultaneously?

To be fair, there are subjects that are more complicated and nuanced, where there can be two contrasting broad opinions that each have arguable subjective merit (like, who's the best ever player - two people can offer viable alternatives and neither be definitively wrong). But on every single subject imaginable there are also specific opinions that are simply, unequivocally, and provably wrong (like someone putting Djimi Traore forward as the best ever player, for instance).

To use your example, two people can argue broadly that some crimes should or shouldn't carry a death penalty and it's hard to declare that either is 'correct' when it's kept that broad. But, for instance, someone stating specifically that in their opinion the death penalty is a crime deterrent is simply factually wrong. It's an opinion without merit, that they're backing up by their own 'feeling' rather than by any credible facts.

In this case, I would say the fact that Mascherano made more accurate long passes per match than Trent is reasonable proof that he was at least a decent passer. It's not proof enough to say he was better at it than Trent by any means (he wasn't), but it's enough to I think convincingly argue that he wasn't actively bad at it, as was stated.

(edit - this is one of those conversations that really shows up how bored I get with Boards being 8 hours off my time zone when I'm trying to procrastinate 😅 )

Exactly. Opinions can be wrong as I said. 😉

You're right. This conversation is a weird one but I was wondering why you were posting so late, that explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

For top 5 Liverpool players of all time, if list contains Dalglish, Gerrard, Hansen, Suarez, Salah and thrown in VVD also. Who is the order?? I’d go Gerrard first, Kenny 2nd and 3rd i would probably say Suarez ahead of Salah, just because he could score any kind of goal. Then Hansen or maybe VVD in 5th. It has to be Stevie no.1 as he was the complete footballer, could play anywhere and would be brilliant. I think he is our lifetime best England player and then Rooney 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Top 5 lists are ridiculous for Liverpool with the players we've seen at this stage, I mean the fact Rush doesn't even get a mention above sums it up.

Wow that last paragraph. That's quite something to read.

You seem very bent out of shape about my opinion and I don't live in any fantasy world. I will leave it there Javier didn't realise you were on boards. Apologies 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pulisic and Nunez would be some summer business.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Where does Nunez play in an attacking 3? Not sure we need both. Would be difficult to keep Salah, Jota, Diaz, Bobby, Pulisic and Nunez all happy (assuming Mane was to leave this summer).

Not sure how much there is to spend but outside of replacing Mane, I would love to see a mobile box to box midfielder brought in and better backup for Trent. All depends on who leaves I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised to see Minamino and Ox put in the shop window. It is not looking good for Jones in terms of his long term future at the club. Doesn't look like he will kick on given how little he was used last season. A decision needs to be made on Keita also. Lots of decisions to be made this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

With Milner's 1 year extension I could see him doing his badges (if not done already) and joining the backroom team next year.

The call next year will be to keep Elliot with the squad or send him on loan. Same with the new kid.

Will Joe Gomez be happy to stay and be 4th choice CB and second choice RB or does he leave to be a starter.

I don't mind Mane leaving but it will be annoying if he leaves under a cloud of sxxthousery between Bayern putting in repeated low ball offers and him giving repeated mixed messages in his interviews.

I can't see us letting both Mane and Salah go this year so I think the club will take money for Mane and let Salah run down his contract.

That would leave us with Diaz-Jota-Salah front 3. Bobby on the bench. Talk was that Diaz was going to be the summer signing but we had to act faster due to Spurs interest so I wonder was he already lined up as Mane's replacement.

The club have said Carvahlo is staying next season and I can't see Elliot being loaned out. If anyone is sent out it should be Jones.

The Egypt manager has said Salah played injured yesterday and refused Liverpool’s request to have an X-Ray on the injury before the game.

Apparently Liverpool asked that he be rested for this game but Salah refused and wanted to play.

If he keeps going the way he's going he'll burn out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

To be brutally honest, Salah has looked burnt out for quite a while.

He needs a complete break or next year could be more like the last few months where he just wasn't at it like he has been.

If Mané wasn't actively looking to go I would sell Salah now. We freshened up the forward line with Díaz and it made a huge difference.

I'd prefer not to sell both of them, but he will probably be gone next summer, so maybe the thinking is if we can get the likes of Pulisic and Nunez in now, rip the band aid off completely and move both of them on this summer.

Carvalho, Pulisic, Bobby, Nunez, Díaz and Jota wouldn't be too shabby but might be too much at one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I would not want Pulisic and would be disappointed if we went after him, he's injured a lot and honestly has not been very good for Chelsea.

If we're talking Chelsea players, I'd want Gallagher. Slim chance of that happening unless Tuchel doesn't see him fitting in their midfield.

I'd we're looking at PL players to replace Salah then it needs to be Bowen or Raphina. For Mane it'd have to be Saka or Werner if he was available on a cut price deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

To be fair you were getting quite bent out of shape with so many people on here liking Masch.

no disrespect but rebel did dispel a lot of what you said.

I think the hardest player/s to replace will be Origi & Minamino if he leaves.

The club will find it very hard to find two goal scoring forwards that are happy to be squad players who will mostly only play cup games.

Ox will leave in the summer I think Carvalho is already his replacement.

If we learned anything from the last couple of seasons is that we need to keep the squad depth of quality players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Think they missed a zero in that offer.

I think Mane leaving suits all parties. He wants a final big payday but unfortunately for us he's the wrong side of 30. Hopefully we get a lot more than £25m for him, because that sort of money in today's market is useless to us in replacing him.

Kelleher ready to move on as well by the sounds of his comments to the press today.

I'd hope it just a loan at first anyway for him to get regular first team football and see how he gets on with that.

Mo should be flying next season at least. No tournament this summer, so beyond the couple of internationals the club are in control of when/how much he plays in preseason, and with Egypt not in the World Cup he’ll have over a month off during the season. A fully rested and firing Mo in the second half of the season could be a huge bonus. Hood timing for it to unfold like that, as he really does need this sort of a break

Ali started as Fab came on for the last 5 minutes in a 0-1 win over Japan, Minamino played the first 75 minutes for Japan.

A loan move or two would seem to suit everyone anyway... for good young keepers especially, decent loan moves are the way to go for rising the divisions quickly, so the eventual transfer is to a level you're happy. Transfer too soon to a Championship club or something, and you may end up stuck there for years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement