Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s not on at all.

If the running times change, then they should be announcing it as a timetable change.

Now the H9 proved unnecessary, but nevertheless if it’s cancelled they should tell us.

The first 6 on a Sunday was changed quickly as it was a complete load of horse manure but again not announced.

Incidentally Bus Éireann have been regularly changing running times on PSO routes and uploading new timetables onto the website but with no formal notification - you can only see if there’s a new timetable by checking each route!

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Apparently the H9 finished on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Honestly, kinda baffled as to why it was even introduced. After all, the H Spine runs roughly every 7-8 minutes while the DART is every 10 minutes all day. Any extra capacity along that corridor wouldve been a waste, as the H9 has clearly shown

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Although the N4/N6 booklet mentions that only the 31D is cancelled. I'd be surprised to see the 42D and 70D recommence in September term time. I see 70D has been removed from stop heads around Ballymun/Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Getting the N4 yesterday in East Wall and I can see that the bus stops along East Wall Road and East Road are a bit of a mess. Going westbound there's a bus stop on East Wall Road beside McDonalds but there's no eastbound stop on this road for the same route - there's certainly plenty of pavement space they could requisition in front of Aldi for a lay-by. I'm hoping they intend to put one there as part of the cycle lane build-out. Also, a stop westbound on the East Road has been placed opposite Centra effectively moving the existing 53 stop on that street ...yet they've left the old 53 stop in place, is this stop now out of date and no longer being used? I don't know. You'd hope that they'd be removing redundant stops at the same time as introducing new ones. Also, there's another stop on East Road for the 151 just near the junction with Sheriff Street and, even though the N4 goes right past it, it doesn't stop there for some reason.

• Advertisement

The stop on the bridge on East Road just before Sheriff Street isn’t numbered which suggests that it’s not in use at all.

You’re absolutely right - there should of course be a stop on East Wall Road to serve the shops there.

As for the 53 stop on East Road, well as on Collins Avenue there needs to be a cull of some of the redundant stops. It appears that they only focussed on the N4 and N6 rather than the other routes as well.

More disjointed thinking!

And so did the 68x but they didn’t bother telling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TranslatorPS

And neither route is treated as a "term-time only" departure. At least the 31D was removed from that table.

The 32x also has lost a departure since Monday in each direction.

Looking at www.a-b.ie it appears revised running times (presumably for the summer) have been implemented across the network effective 29.05.22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Satisfied with the N4 so far after using it for three days. Some of the stops seem to have poor visibility, hidden behind trees or parked vehicles but I'm sure those issues will go away as the route beds down. Loadings seem decent for a brand new service too, should have been a bus along Collins' Ave years ago. Now if only Irish Rail would add an entrance to Killester DART station on the south end of the platform, already missed two trains by seconds so far this week that I would have easily made with a more convenient entrance.

I've yet to try the N6, still suffering from post traumatic 17a stress.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You'd think that the Dart+ project would be an ideal time to do some upgrades to Killester, but no, apparently it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The N6 route display has already gotten is woeful destination name of "Drogheda Mall" fixed and now displays the much more apt "Finglas Village"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Polar101

N4 has some pretty strange information (at least at the Point Village stop), according to the timetable at the stop it takes 104 minutes to complete the whole route, and for example, Cappagh hospital (63 minutes) to Connolly Hospital (90 minutes) takes 27 minutes according to the info - the bus I was on actually took just 8 minutes.

My first experience was very Dublin Bus-esque - got to the stop, and the bus sped off without me, so I had to wait for the next one.

Anyway, very useful route in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Got both yesterday

Had to wait at the Point for like 15 mins for the N4. Decent ride, though I noticed East Wall had that odd setup described above. Also, it was kinda annoying that the bus kept stopping at Collins Avenue every 2 mins or so. Loadings seemed alright on the bus that I was on, and also for the five to six N4s that passed us in the other direction, and can see them massively increasing once DCU reopens

Not really much to note about the N6. Drogheda Mall display wasn’t great first impression, though trip was kinda cool wandering through the different areas of Ballymun. There were single digits on the stretch I went on though again, I can see loadings increasing for it as more people gets accustomed to this route

On a related note, I am kinda surprised they didn’t cutback on the 220. I get that the Blanch changes aren’t until at least 2 years from now, however the 220 gets mainly used in Finglas and Ballymun.Given the level of service offered by the N4/N6, that should be enough to justify curtailing it to Finglas Village to allow interchange or at the very least reducing the schedule to a few departures a day, especially considering the long run times it has

I guess the 220 still links Corduff and Ballycoolin with the Blanch SC and indeed Ladyswell with the SC - when the loop service comes and the radials change then it’ll go.

The other half of the route (the 104) has to wait for the Clontarf changes as something needs to maintain the link to/from CRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Wow. I would lose my mind if I had to run around that loop when you can see the station SO CLOSE to the N4 stop.

A new entrance to Killester Dart is a total no brainer and looks easily doable from satellite view on Maps....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Went back to have a look at the N4 Mon-Fri timings.

I constructed a whole new timetable, taking the following:

1. current departures from termini. No issues there.
    2. running times were split into the timing bands that DB used themselves. 5.30-6.30-7.30-8.30-9.30-11.30-14.30-15.30-16.30-17.30-18.30-20.30-24.30-27.30-end
    3. selected a number of stops en-route, twelve of them in fact.
    4. took the current timings between those fourteen stops (12+termini).
    5. reapplied them, but instead of appplying them to the departure from first stop, I applied them to when each bus reaches which stop - i.e. vertical running time application instead of diagonal.

The result? DB's timetable has running times of up to 1h51, 34 and 39 minute gaps in opposite terminus arrivals, and nine counts of buses overtaking an earlier departure. In my version, the longest running time is 1h49 (and at a different time of the day than the current 1h51), and the biggest gap between arrivals at final stop during f-10 is a single count of 17 min. Needless to say, there's no overtaking.

I would recalculate the duties, but I'm not in the mood to deal with 67 of those, and I wouldn't be publishing the results of that anyway. In fact, I think the running boards could be rehooked completely given the adjustments here, and who knows, maybe a few duties shaken off the bill altogether - not a minor consideration to take here considering the driver shortages across industry, but that's another topic altogether.

Used the N4 a few times at different times - quite good.

One big positive is the light timings at Glsnevin Ave/Collins Ave/Ballymun Rd seems to have changed and gets a bus through quite quick. The night buses west bound up to 1/2am seemed to have a few people on them too.

Other things to note - there are a lot of stops. Collins Ave East in particular seems to have an abundance.

Also, every N4 eastbound I see seems to stop for an age at the shops on Glasnevin Avenue (I’m local to here so have seen a lot). Timings must be too generous, fairly painstaking sitting on a bus for a while and then to stop for no apparent reason. Not sure if RTPI issues but seem some mad gaps on the poles on the same road today before peak time / m50 issues - 6, 9, 33 at one point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Not sure why they bothered keeping the 220. They could have extended the 236 to Ladyswell Road altered it to serve Corduff and made it an all day route instead.

I would certainly think that it makes sense politically not to rock the boat and retain the 220 until the F Spine and B Spine changes happen and all of the pieces of the new network jigsaw are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The N4 and N6 are the only real 220 replacements in the Finglas area though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Still a lot in the far side of Finglas use the bus to Blanch and Vice Versa

Realistically you wont see the end of the 220 until the final phase, the B spine , that will cover the introduction of the local routes

• L61 (covers the hartstown loop-Blanch Village, ballycoolin, snugborough)
    • L62 (will cover the Cardiffsbridge road etc part link to Blanch),
    • L63 (will cover the ladyswell-Mulhuddart-Blanch centre part of the route)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Busconnect is what you all have been wanting for years, you get what you deserve.

early stage talking of new DB depot in inchicore

Db struggle to get a full early service out the door

pulling spare driver from relief and late shifts to do earlies

paying crazy OT for reliefs and lates

still service is missing!!

NTA going to have to pay big $$$ to get the staff they require for busconnect

the recruitment well is near dry at these pay and terms

it will get worse before it gets better

The current roadworks in Blanch could cause a lot of problems with the orbitals and future roll outs. I was behind an N4 eastbound today stuck for 10 mins at the lights between the centre and the hospital.

There wasn’t particularly heavy traffic around Blanch but the roadworks are creating some serious bottlenecks - I wonder if they may rethink how some of the routes access the centre. There’ll be knock on problems further down the route if buses are bunching and getting stuck 2 minutes from their terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, even without the roadworks it's hard to get in/out of the Centre when it's busy - the traffic on the road between the hotel and eBay can get mental. I don't know if that is being addressed when the "bus interchange terminal" is eventually built - I think there was mention of a bus lane in one of the plans, but none of that is happening just now.

I think in time it may have to be designed that the majority of routes, except maybe locals towards Corduff, exit Blanch by the hotel out the bus only lane and onto the N3. Coming out by eBay seems to be getting worse and worse.

Plans for a route through the Phoenix Park delayed further. Neither party seems to have a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Where did they get the notion that Go Ahead operates the 145?

Advertisement