Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Westmeath vs Offaly

Cavan vs Sligo

This drawing of the Ulster counties against each other is ridiculous now. The whole internet knew last night Donegal would get Armagh.

Larry doing the “draw” and not shown once on the live feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Probably the best draw we could have hoped for but I've a feeling it'll be trickier than people think

They’ll have momentum after battling through two games with extra time but the bottom line is they are a Division 4 team who didn’t get promoted whereas Westmeath are Division 3 and Offaly only down from 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I think we will win with minimum fuss we were a class above both teams we played in this competition so far and on paper Sligo are the weakest we wil play so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

1.45 throw in croke Park Sunday 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Pity that Armagh v Donegal isn’t in Breffni.

At least we’re the first game. Get out sharpish as I can only see myself staying for a half of Offaly vs Westmeath, if even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Donegal people reckon that Clones is too far, another half hour and €8 of fuel to Cavan would be a too much altogether.

• Advertisement

Where would they prefer it to be played Omagh?

Not a fan of Croke Park especially when it is empty and would have preferred to travel anywhere else. I think they should have left these games out of Croke Park until the final. I know they are trying to raise the profile of the tournament but i think this will do the opposite. The players will want to play it there and the more games our lads get there the better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Both Omagh and Enniskillen were mentioned.

They do have a point I suppose, Clones is 2 hours drive for some and people in Donegal will pass through Enniskillen or Omagh to get there and Donegal had a bad day in Clones when last there.

Even though I won't thumb my nose at the chance to see Cavan play in Croke Park, I completely agree. It is great for the players but there is likely to be zero atmosphere for this double header. A fair few people will only go to see their team. If I didn't have kids with me, I probably would stay for the other game (and confirm all Cavan stereotypes by getting as much value out of the day as possible 😉). I'd prefer a packed out Brewster for a game like that rather than a more or less empty Croke park.

Any chance the GAA will have a bit of sense and let kids in free for this? It's going to be a very costly day for fans in terms of travel and hopefully with another day out in Dublin to follow.

We should win this handy enough. I know we got some luck when we played them in the league (black card for Carrabine, who is their best player, sending off and lucky goal) but we were fairly rusty that day and still won well. They're not a great team and seemed to have peaked in the league. They fell across the line in their two Tailteann games and although they missed plenty in both, we will have far too much for them. Plus, have any of their players played in Croke Park before? That does make a difference. This will be our third outing for this panel in three years and a lot of players have games in 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018.

I think Fermanagh are a far better side and we won that easily. Assuming we play at the same level of intensity I can't see us winning by anything less than 7 points.

Just thinking back to the last few games, Killian Clarke is playing extremely well. He's putting in a serious shift in the middle that is allowing Galligan, Smith and Gearoid to power forward. Set up a couple of scores on Sunday. He took a lot of stick for his mistake against Donegal but he's probably being one of our most consistent players this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

When we played them in the league we did get a bit of luck, but we also were missing Thomas galligan, Conor brady Martin reilly ciaran brady Luke fortune and killian Clarke only came on for the last ten minutes and Gerry smith only came on for the last 5 minutes,

I agree, we've clearly gotten stronger (not just in terms of panel) but are performing at a higher level. I don't think Sligo have kicked on much judging at their results. Even with the bit of luck on the day, we looked a far better unit. I remember Sligo had absolutely tanked London before they played us and people were talking them up, but I came away from Markievicz park fairly unimpressed with them (Carrabine aside).

Moynagh & Conor Madden were both taking part in some running and practice drills on the pitch before the team came out on Sunday so you’d hope both are near a return too.

It’s great to see Connor madden getting near a return, I knew Connor Moynagh had an ankle bandage at the down game he was doing water boy, Niall Murray and Stephen smith were doing a lot of running that day to with Andre quinn over seeing it, Andre quinn seems to be very good, Thomas galligan had good things to say about him on the diehards podcast.

Ray Galligan, Faulkner, Cian Madden, Thomas Galligan & Gearoid made the Tailteann Cup team of the week. Did Madden play that well? Took me by surprise to see him there.

• Advertisement

You would wonder is he on the field by times and rarely a player you would pick out as one off the better performers in any game but he must be doing what's asked off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Didnt think Ray deserved his place either, had an off day at frees and while his kick outs were good Fermanaghs press was pathetic at times leaving men free on the half way line. Cian had an ok game, that was a strange one. I thought Clarke was more deserving of a place on that team myself. Cavan should have much to much for Sligo who are stumbling along. They made an awful blunder bringing on Niall Murphy against London even though he had a hamstring injury, he went off again within 5 minutes so its hard to see how he would feature. Alan Reilly has started to step up and he could be dangerous but untested against backs like ours. It is really in Cavans hands, perform to the levels they did against Fermanagh and it should be a relatively comfortable win.

Interesting that Ray made the team again. He missed three frees in the first half (none were handy) but his distribution from kick outs was good. I personally would have given Carolan a nod ahead of Madden. Madden is definitely going to be a player, he's just not strong enough (yet) to break through tackles. He has a lovely running style and always has his head up and kicks great ball inside to the forwards. Has a great engine as well and always tracks his runners. When he is physically powerful enough to bring the ball into contact and start kicking scores, he will be some player.

I thought McLoughlin hard done by if Madden made it. He even kicked a point.

Madden really should be reaching a decent physical condition by now. Is he not around 22/23 by now? I know Mickey Graham did want to call him in with Pierson when they were both still U20 but Madden held off.

Evan Finnegan seems to have gone from starting in the League to not even making match day squads.

did Madden not have a bad injury at one time? Maybe I am wrong but maybe that’s what kept him out for a while, when did paddy Meade have his injury I’m looking forward to seeing him in a Cavan jersey again another big strong physical player with pace. On a different note excellent interview with Martin mchugh on wac.

Personally, I would have picked Carolan, but easily Oisin Kiernan or Jason would have been ahead of Madden for team of the week. Thought Conor Brady had a good game too, kicks the ball in well and would like him to back himself more and take some more scores on.

I will stand corrected but think this is his first year on the panel. I seem to think the McKenna cup game versus Armagh was his debut. Mickey Graham says it usually takes a year to get up to the conditioning required for senior level. You can see a world of a difference in Paddy Lynch from last year. Not every player develops physically at the same rate either. As I said before, he's not there yet but there clearly is talent if he continues to develop.

I found McHugh’s comments about Cavan always having a good free taker surprising. It’s something we’ve struggled with over the last decade, or maybe even longer, in my opinion.

Galligan showed in the last two games that he’s either on it or he’s not. I know that may sound harsh but the likes of Dean Rock, Shane Walsh & Sean O’Shea have showed the top teams have a player who is nailing everything, including the bulk of 45s.

I agree though. It was a great interview and insight.

I agree about the free taking we have struggled there for years , since Ronan Carolan really, Micky lyng was a good free taker and then he had to stop taking them because they were causing injury I think, next was Niall Murray started taking them out of his hand in 2019.

Tickets now on sale:

Semi Final:

Tickets are now on Sale.

📅 Sunday June 19th

📍 Croke Park

General Admission 

Adult: €25

Child: €5

OAP/Student: €20

• Advertisement

In 2019 we kept rotating frees between Ray, Gearoid even Mackey when he was on the field. It wasn't until the Armagh game (possibly) the replay that Niall Murray started taking them and more or less had a 100% record.

For what it is worth, Ray is way more consistent that he used to be. His kick-outs are generally very good. I would say at Breffni his free-taking percentages are very high (he's had at least two games this year at home with 100% records) and kicked some wonder scores in Carrick on Shannon. But the funny thing, I think you can tell from his body language whether he is on fire. On Sunday when he was coming up for the first free I said to one of the lads "he doesn't look like he wants this, I think he is going to miss". By the third one you could see him looking for a runner to avoid taking it on and ended up rushing his kick and completely butchering it. Similarly in Croke Park for the division four final you just felt he wasn't going to have one of his days. But let's be honest, his off days are thankfully fairly rare.

Advertisement