Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens Jubilee, what's the craic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I understand that people are critical of the UK, her history, and even the concept of having a Monarchical system.

But there is a certain population of people who gleefully look forward to the demise of the Queen, and it's absolutely vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Little Louis was very unimpressed by all pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 20,365 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Whooosh. That was the entire point about biased sources going over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,365 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm not. Kim Kardashian is celebrated across the world and I wouldn't feel any pride in her if she were Irish. It might be nice if someone Irish were celebrated, but I'd still want to be proud of the person's reason for celebration. Monarchy, or any other inherited title, doesn't do that for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Queen has released statement outlining how she is "deeply touched". An unfortunate choice of words considering the nonce she is supporting..

I'd say its more to do with the institution. Anyway, that was the buzz on the telly what with her missing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Great weekend of fun and catching up with people.

A huge success for the Royals, they'll certainly be more popular after this with most people in Britain, and it was well handled. The Paddington sketch was a masterpiece of PR.

Plus the whole thing hacked off Owen Jones. Can't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When did we rejoin the realm? Or have we colonised them? Confuzzled

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a standard conservative strawman.

The British monarchy is a vile institution. The sooner its abolished, the better for everyone here. I had an opportunity for a cheap week away and I took it. I wasn't in the mood for the usual simpering over Mrs. Windsor being pushed to absurd levels.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Cliff Richard trying to put himself at the centre of it all

Only got to sing on the bus this time

This one's affecting the Unionists. Outraged that the beeb still don't give a sh1t about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

It was a great weekend in London, even though I wasn't there specifically for the celebration (royals don't do much for me personally), it was still a great atmosphere and people seemed extra friendly and happy when chatting or walking past them. On Sunday there were a few parties here in the town I live in too so hopefully people enjoyed themselves. Back to real life now, no tax payers money for me, just a factory to graft in. Might smarten myself up a bit and see if I can marry in?

Possibly. No doubt some saddos will gloat at the demise of an elderly lady. One who is still working 30 years past retirement age. One who has for 70 years served her country to the best of her ability. One who was not born to be Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was over in Herfordshire for the jubilee weekend and it was all a bit meh. I thought it would be a lot bigger but in the area I was in there was barely one house in 10 with the union jack bunting out. Went to the lighting of the beacons for the Queen locally on Thursday night and there was less than 400 people there in a town of 15,000 people. It was some contrast to then watching the BBC, ITV and Sky news reports that gave the impression there was a national party and a huge outpouring of patriotism going on, the hyperbole from the journalists reporting on it was never ending. As an English mate remarked to me it had nothing on the 2012 Olympics which was a massive outpouring of national pride and patriotism.

It was the same at Liam Gallagher at Knebworth. There was 125,000 people there, the vast majority who were English but I saw way more Scottish flags at it than union jacks. Most of the crowd were under 50 years of age and they didnt seem bothered one bit about celebrating the jubilee. So I got the impression the entire event was just blown up by the media beyond any proportion to what people were actually doing on the ground. But maybe it was different in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LOL, when you have to resort to using the failed GBeebies as your source it's time to give up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

still a billion times better then the snake oil salesman flip flop failure fartage on GBeebies who ran away the minute the announcement that brexit won happened.

You seem obsessed with GB News continued existence and success. But what's that got to do with the Queen's Jubilee?

Nothing, so I'll just leave it at that.

oh no, we really, really aren't.

what is there to be jealous of exactly? over privilaged individuals who have what they have because of birth right and an invisible space wizard? an institution who's fans are like followers of a cult who would happily starve in the name of those over privilaged people who couldn't care a less about them?

lots to be jealous of alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not a high hurdle to jump over. GB News is just a den of grifters. I've lost respect for Jones but he's nowhere near as bad as Putin's little sockpuppet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I see them wittering about Ulster.

But only two thirds of Ulster is in NI.

It's all very confusing.

Most couldn't really give a fiddlers and were just commenting on the reports. No need to get all poetic. She's an elderly woman who just had her party, she didn't cure small pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

As a plastic paddy there's a lot I like about the Brits

Bit meh on the monarchy stuff but they could teach us a few lessons on attitude here

I mean there is a reason they invaded us and not the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

You know what happened there. Some design/media person was told to throw up an Irish flag there (and Scottish and Welsh ones). They had no idea about the politics etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,857 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I get the impression it was more a thing for older people and that the younger crowd were less impressed. Even at that big Jubilee concert on Saturday, the majority of the crowd seemed to be over 35 / 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Looked a superb event on screen, and my family in the UK took full advantage of the extended weekend to catch up with friends and take either drinks or dinner out.. I also heard a lot of old friends attending street parties and the like..

Personally I would of liked to of been in the UK to get some of the good feeling but alas I was stuck in my apartment in Dublin with poxy COVID!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah very much an older crowd at the jubilee concert. And as my English mate commented very much a white one too, we were playing a game of spot the black person and there was virtually none there. No Indians or Pakistanis in the crowd either despite millions of immigrants to the UK. My mate said the crowd was like Surrey goes to London for a day out. Would make you wonder what the future holds for the Royal Family if they dont appeal to large sections of the British population and their constituency is made up of 90% old white people despite the diversity of British society.

British public hugely overestimates the size of minority groups, including trans and gay people and vegans, study shows

• Most Britons are white, heterosexual but poll found many think it's more diverse 
    • People think black Britons make up 20% of population but are 3% of society 
    • 1,800 polled also thought 5% trans when 0.3-0.7% identify as different gender 
    • This has sparked fears from MP, media creates a 'distorted impression' of Britain

While most Britons are white and heterosexual, the poll found many believe the UK is made up of far more racial, religious and sexual minorities than it actually is. When the survey asked what proportion of adults was white, the median answer was 65 per cent – yet the true figure is 87 per cent.  

And while official figures show that black Britons make up about three per cent of the population, those questioned estimated the proportion at 20 per cent. Britons believed about 15 per cent of the population is Muslim, against the true figure of about four per cent, and they estimated the Jewish community stood at 10 per cent when it is one-twentieth that size. 

British public overestimates minority groups like trans, gay people and vegans, YouGov poll shows | Daily Mail Online

Maybe not 90%, but 87% White people. Close enough for me.

What would it matter anyway? All one big equal common wealth family, (except for Megan) right?

• Advertisement

The question was posed where were all the blacks, Indians etc.

The Mail article highlights that contrary to popular belief (and the advertising industry) just 3% of the population of Britain are black. So the weird thing is actually pushing black people, Indians etc. at every opportunity in Britain which is a European country were Blacks and Indians live, but they are a minority. If we went to Nigeria or India and tried the same thing it would be seen as distasteful and disrespectful.

Advertisement