Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

In the last ten years, two Ulster teams have actually won the All Ireland. How many from Connacht have? Actually, how many from Connacht have in even the last twenty!?

At least they are showing the lads. There was no actual draw shown live this morning.

And let’s all not forget 2004 when the GAA needed to get the Dubs back to Croker and their qualifier draw was London, Leitrim & Longford. That was some run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That'll soon be put right and not by the media darlings btw 😉🇶🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Oh for crying out loud, have a look at other the teams they could have got, there was pure dross in Rds 1 and 2, Longford in Rd 3 was handy one and they could actually have got an easier draw in Rd 4, than Roscommon. You're theory about ulster teams has been shown to be shite so you are off on another tangent now. Enjoy your day, im sure you will uncover other fixes and conspiracies

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have doubt the draw is fixed. Nearly all local derbies again to get the best possible crowds. Pure greed by the GAA imo.

• Advertisement

Galway and Tyrone were in round 2 in 2004. Galway won the All Ireland in 2001 and Tyrone in 2003. Hardly “pure dross”. Another one of your points debunked with a two minute look at Wiki.

I don’t actually believe in conspiracy theories and fixes to be honest so don’t try to paint me as some person off posting about Covid or fluoride on Facebook.

I do however believe it’s more than coincidence that Armagh drew Tyrone and now draw Donegal. Just like in 2019 when my own county lost the Ulster final yet get Tyrone in the qualifiers.

Why not have more transparency re the draw? Larry McCarthy was picking the teams on Morning Ireland but wasn’t even shown picking out any team.

Mother of god, they are all out today. Apart from Armagh V Donegal there is no 'derby', Lim V Cork wont attract any sort of decent crowd anyway. Tell me if it was all about greed surely the GAA would want the top teams, ie Mayo, Donegal, Armagh to get through, they will bring big numbers and not the likes of Cork who will bring a miniscule crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Nearly all ?

Half are local derbies

Since when did half make "nearly all"?

You could equally have had

Mayo v Roscommon

Clare or Cork v Limerick

Donegal v Armagh

Now that's closer to "nearly all" at 75%

But that didn't happen.

Even though the draw was fixed and it's "pure greed by the GAA".

It’s not like the GAA just recently had another competition setup where they chose to actually split the regions so they wouldn’t have to explain away any “coincidence”.

Other than Mayo and Kildare, two counties where people will travel regardless due to large supporter bases, the draws are all remarkably within decent distance of each other.

Ya Galway and Tyrone were but there were 6 other poor teams they could have drawn, hardly a mathematical freak that they did draw one of those 6.

If you dont believe in fixes then what is 'more than coincidence'? So whats your explanation here then if its not fixed?

I agree on your last point, optics are poor but thats all.

• Advertisement

Exactly Mayo v Ross would have been a huge game attracting a big crowd

So you’ve changed your tune from all teams in round 1 and 2 being “pure dross”? I wouldn’t have the memory to comment on the other six - Cork & Fermanagh were also there in 2004. Both have fluctuated between brilliance and mediocrity at different stages over the years, as have other counties. London, Leitrim & Longford rarely have though. Could you go through the 20 year history of the qualifiers and find me an easier round 1-3 draw? Amazing that it happened to the team the GAA really needed to get back to Croke Park for commercial reasons. Another “coincidence”.

Oh I do believe it’s fixed. I was just stating in life in general I don’t believe in fixes and conspiracy theories but I do firmly believe these GAA draws are fixed.

Even my own county in 2013, our qualifier draw was Fermanagh (fellow Ulster), then Derry (fellow Ulster) and then when it was a novelty to have us & London in the last 12 - imagine, we managed to draw each other and the GAA could continue the novelty by sticking us both in Croke Park.

This year on the Cavan thread, all the posters knew we’d get our neighbours Fermanagh in the Tailteann Cup. 1 in 4 chance you’d argue but these “coincidences” sure are stacking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Biggest problem right now isn't the fixtures it's the amount of muck that's passing for matches these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yet you're the fella who according to yourself doesn't believe in conspiracy theories or fixes?

Then wtf are you actually saying?

It seems to be that the draw was fixed, this seems to be based off the fact that the camera wasn't pointing in the right direction.

As some else said they're all out today,you should change your handle to CavanKing of the Lizard People.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭howiya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Galway v Cork or limerick

Or Derry V Cork or limerick

Would mean a nice draw for both these teams to make a semi final!

But knowing the gaa luck it'll probably be Galway v Donegal/Armagh and Derry v Mayo and Dublin v Cork and kerry v roscommon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Galway can draw mayo in the quarters though? I think it's only provincial finalists that can't meet in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Twas literally posted on the last page that the rules say they can't meet. "No Repeat of Provincial finals and no repeats at all if 'possible' " is the rule for the 1/4 draw apparently.

I don’t believe in conspiracy theories or fixes generally but I do believe the GAA qualifier draws are fixed for commercial and other reasons.

I’ve outlined a number of the reasons above, other than that the GAA is the first live “draw” I’ve ever seen where the person making the draw is not on screen.

If you want to actually read some of my reasoning, it’s there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It'd be better if you predicted some draws in advance next year, which should be incredibly easy if you think its fixed.

Because, with respect, all you are doing at the moment is fitting the fix to the draw afterwards and saying that you knew xyz was going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,603 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah I get your drift, Clare v Roscommon, put that on in Galway and you're guaranteed a decent crowd. Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This made me smile anyway. It is pie in the sky stuff. When the GAA realise they have fixtures they don't like or ones they prefer to highlight -They don't fix the draw.

What they do is try and retrospectively move fixtures to when/where it suits them. You seemed to have forgotten the 'Newbridge or Nowhere' furore. When the GAA wanted to move the Mayo v Kildare match out of Newbridge. Or the many occasions where a ladies football game gets shoved out of the way that was fixed at a ground because a men's game took precedence.

Fixed draws of teams = no. If there was someone would have leaked it in this day and age.

Retrospectively moved fixtures = yes when it suits. Always happens.

Your logic for a fixed competition draw reminds me of the old GAA myth that CP fixes it with refs to call a draw game for the replay!

'The Grab All Association' Myth. When in reality if there is a replay the GAA normally lower prices way down to be fair to fans.

--

Your theory on the fixed competition draw is a good one to discuss after a few pints. But I would say it is nothing more than 'pub talk' with no evidence ever coming to light.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I wrote this on the Cavan thread on the night before the Tailteann Cup draw:

“Tomorrow morning at 8.35 on Morning Ireland. I fully expect that we’ll get Fermanagh and Leitrim will get Sligo to keep a uniform provincial split. If I was to pick opposition, I’d prefer to avoid Fermanagh”

I also predicted Tyrone vs Armagh and that the winners reward would be Donegal. The GAA have long been relying on the Ulster teams to knock each other out. Otherwise, like Division 1 in the League, we’d have 4 or 5 Ulster teams in the last 8 each year.

So you dont believe in fixes generally but do for GAA qualifier draws? Ok. Why not have Mayo V roscommon then? Would have brought a far bigger crowd than Mayo V Kildare and would fit your narrative.

Would it? Mayo and Kildare are both well supported and then there is the history of Newbridge or Nowhere. I’d imagine that game will draw a decent crowd.

Who do you match Clare with if Roscommon & Mayo are gone? It already makes more sense to have Limerick vs Cork. There’s no recent rivalry between Clare and Kildare like there is between Mayo and Kildare.

Clare vs Roscommon is a decent fit for both those counties geographically, as is Limerick vs Cork and Armagh vs Donegal. Armagh vs Donegal will cut out an Ulster team whereas Limerick and Cork will get a weak Munster team into the last 8.

Your logic seems to be that because one draw doesn’t make sense in your mind then the whole thing is above board. Numerous people could call last night that Armagh would draw Donegal just like I could call Cavan drawing Fermanagh in the Tailteann Cup,

I’m still waiting for you to come back with an easier qualifier draw in 20 years than the “coincidence” of Dublin drawing the first three rounds of London, Leitrim and Longford in the very year that commercially the GAA badly needed to get them back into Croke Park? Dublin are rarely in the qualifiers but my own county Cavan have been in them every year bar 2019 and we’ve never had the “luck” of such a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

😁😁😁

nice to see even when we’re on our holidays we’re living rent free in so many’s heads ! 🎣

derry and Armagh absolutely deserved both victories and I wish them well in the rest of the championship. Will certainly be shouting them on ahead of any “southern” sides.

We’ve a conveyor belt of talent coming through, just picked up another u20 all Ireland a few weeks ago in case you didn’t notice!

kerry and Dublin will be delighted to see Tyrone out. Especially Kerry, who do nothing but whinge and make excuses every time we play them.

there isn’t much noise after yesterday from within our own county as we didn’t expect a result. We knew it was a flat year, the lads basically were on the go non stop from winter 2020. Our club championship ran into Christmas 2021 after winning an all Ireland and is the best senior club championship in the country, you can never predict a winner it in year after year.

we won’t lose too much sleep over it, but it is quite amusing to see so many on here taking joy in the demise of all Ireland champions. To be expected I suppose, lack of success from their own counties in recent years has them in this way of thinking.

heres hoping Armagh or Derry will give it a right rattle , unfortunately I don’t think them or Donegal will be any good to Kerry or Dublin in the latter stages.

mayos goose is cooked. Thought they had to turn up last September and that was it. Some boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

ulster Football is in a good place. I think Cavan should feel aggrieved this year, in my opinion Donegal scraped past them with two fortunate enough goals.

if Cavan were in the draw for Sam Maguire this morning I’d fancy them to give most of the teams a right rattle. They’re better than limerick and cork ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

And your goose is cooked for this year.😁 Well done to Armagh.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Almost but who he exactly sounds and looks a bit like is the other boring Father Ted guy from the raffle episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why do Cork get home advantage. Does our home and away agreement count for football too ?

Also why in Christ are those other 2 games in Croke Park

Advertisement