Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The tournament before our last tournament we got zero points and 1 goal. A truly embarrassing showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Yeah, one of the last 5. In the other 4 not only did we do better than zero points, we actually qualified from the group.

What you've said is not the reality of how Irish teams perform in tournaments. It was a complete outlier. And in defense of that team, the group involved both teams who would go on to contest the final of the whole competition. We were in one of the hardest groups in the history of an international tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

That Croatian team I remember seemed to be a team in decline(in hindsight they weren't) but mad that they ended up in a World Cup Final 6 years later.

Your stats are harping back to our golden era of football. It's not comparable to the last 15 years of Irish football.

2012 featured at the heart of that era. That's what I'm judging Kenny against. Not an era were the whole squad were playing for top tier PL teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We scraped through the group because Italy had already qualified and couldn't be arsed to play their starters, then ran out of steam after 10 minutes against France.

I don't know if Stephen Kenny is the right man for the job, but I'll watch these lads try over the absolute hoofball we've played for the 15 years previous.

We're a low level European team who've qualified for 3 world cups and 3 Euros, why are we pretending otherwise.

ntil we have 4/5 players starting regularly in a top5 league we'll be poor, not to excuse the performance saturday its just a fact. we need an elite star player to come out of somewhere to drag us through like wales have with bale

You spoke about our performance at international tournaments as if getting 0 points was the norm. It isn't and you were completely disingenuous in your original comment.

You've arbitrarily plucked 15 years as it suits your goalpost shifting.

We're a low tier country which is pretty much the crux of it. We've rarely had good teams, produced a few good players over the years and very few in recent times. The late 80', 90's were an anomaly in Irish football's history. Even then we missed out on a lot of tournaments(92,96, 98, 2000).

I mean the last 15 years is pretty long and a relevant period I'd have thought. Going back to the 80s and intimating that that's how we perform is more than disingenuous imo.

• Advertisement

Italy played a number of their starters, and the people that came in off the bench to start that game included Immobile and Bernadeschi, who have featured regularly for Italy since and during Euro 2020, which they won.

We are a mid level European team - given we are in Nations League 2nd tier. But if we were a low level european team - we should play to our strengths and not get in a fella way out of his depth to have the players pass it around the back five for 75 minutes, before hoofing it for 15 when the other thing invevitably hasn't worked.

Some of the best performances in the history of Irish football have come in the last 15 years. Utterly f*cking hilarious that you would try to reduce those performances to hoofball, you absolute armchair bluffer.

I haven't gone into the 80's.

Our last international tournament we qualified from the group and gave a great showing in a cauldron in Lyon against the home nation, who qualified for the final of that tournament and won the world cup after.

Disregarding that, to focus on the tournament prior, when we were in a group against the two finalists and a very strong Croatia - a group that only two teams qualified from, not three, and thus would easily be one of the most difficult groups in international tournament football history - is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

For once here in Ireland we are thinking of a longer-term development of the international team. That's why I like Stephen Kenny and even when they lose this team plays way more interesting than any Irish team for a very long time. You get the sense that it will click for this bunch and I for one am happy to be patient with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

People were up in arms about the style of play under Martin O'Neil. They took joy when he'd get annoyed with Tony O'Donoghue asking him blunt questions after a bad result. It was ugly BUT O'Neil got results. Chris Hughton would probably be the same. So, what do we want? Ugly frustrating play and sometimes get results or to re-build and start a more positive style of play?

Our best players at the moment were playing in League One in England this season. We have an under supported domestic league. We can no longer rely on English clubs to develop our players for us. We reap what we sow. Can sack Kenny but be careful what you wish for.

Yeah and we can use the same excuses for our WC qualifying campaign just gone. Only 2 teams and top teams at that qualified.

So ya know, its almost like depending on one's bias they can state stats to back up that pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

People seem to be reaching that conclusion now but there was a very loud vocal majority complaining about the style of play under O'Neil. We're a fickle bunch.

See this is where there's a divide; the people who are just happy to pass it and pass it until we get to areas where a pass would be required and we hoof it into the box. That seems like the Kenny philosophy as it plays out on the pitch. I don't actually mind losing but we still lose in the same bland Irish way. I remember Belgium(much more promising players than we have so not a great example perhaps) but back in like 2010-2013 when their golden era was emerging, they'd lose games 4-3, be 3 up and end up drawing 3-3 and they missed out on all those tournaments until 2014 but that to me seemed an interesting time to be a fan. That's what I thought a revolution would look like. Our problem is that we are still a cautious unimaginative team with zero goal threat. We still play like your typical Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

In all my years of watching international football I’ve never once minded a high ball played into Quinn or cascarino and headed down to Aldridge or Keane.

Man city, Liverpool and Barcelona start playing football from the back, but they have the luxury of hand picking the appropriate players for that task.

Play to your strengths, wales had a big lad up front yesterday and weren’t too proud to lump it if needed, not an eyelid batted.

stephen kenny has an “idea” on how the game should be played, and what we really need is a pragmatic manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

The hoofball was very difficult to watch and we couldn't string 3 passes together. We might just about qualify for something and then get decimated.

The hoofball was pure groan to watch, almost unbearable.

But now ...eventhough the results are worse...there's entertainment in the way we play, there's excitement. There's pleasure! You're egging on every pass, you don't quiet know what will happen next.

We weren't good v Armenia. Eventhough I thought we were better and created more chances . We lack goal scoring formulas. And we were loose on their breaks.

That said I look forward to the next game..in anticipation of what kind of passing and rewards the team might conjure up. I really can't say that about the previous set ups of hoofball...save for MacCarty s rein...he seemed to almost find a happy medium...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

• Advertisement

Serbia weren't even in the Euros and Portugal were eliminated in the 2nd round. There is absolutely no comparison between those teams and the sides we had in our group in 2012. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’d be even wearier of the next match, hopefully Ireland don’t roll over too handy then Scotland who effectively did so against same opposition midweek despite it being an absolute crunch match. In a WC playoff format someone decided should now be once-off matches; with a distinct home advantage at that. And yet still the Ukraine were robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Which sport do you think the average sports fan / ban wagon jumper likes to watch?

Soccer

When Ireland get to big tournaments in soccer there is way more public interest than there is in something like the RWC.

Far more of the general public are familiar with soccer, the clubs, the players, the history etc than rugby.

Thus when big soccer events come around there is far more general public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I know, that is really good against teams with 10 times + your budget. For a LOI team to even get to the Europa league is an unbelievable feat. Dundalk were 1 goal away from the Champions league.

The most cultish answer in the thread. “Be careful what you wish for” as if it could get worse than Kenny. Steve Staunton had a better record than this bluffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

staunton also had some of the best irish players ever.

• Advertisement

Where to start with this.

“You’re egging on every pass, you don’t know what will happen next” - have you watched Kennyball?? It goes gk to lb, lb to cb, cb to cb, cb to cb, cb to cb, cb to rb, rb to cb, cb to cm, cm to cm, cm to lw, lw to lb, lb to cb, cb to cb and on and on until the opposition put pressure on, then it’s a long hopeful punt from cb to cf in the hope that we get the second ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement