Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So it could well be 2024 before you get your car? That's insane, there might well be better / more options out there by then. And quite likely the €5k grant will be gone by then, although you wouldn't be getting it for the M50 model anyway. Did you have to pay any sort of (non refundable) deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Rsymons (Richard Symons) on YouTube today with a mini road test of an I4 M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I4 never eligible for a grant and never will be even if they bring out a 35 model as expected.

paid 1k refundable deposit. If I don’t want the car when it arrives or can’t agree a deal on trade in they said they will give it back. They will have no problem selling it if I don’t want it.

I reckon that if better options come along, I can go a different route with no loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Watched it last night.

He has done a few now and a few comparisons.

It’s a lovely car and I’d imagine the next version of it will be head and shoulders above it.

£75k stg and they say it’s let down a bit at that price point.

Richard is fairly down to earth and honest with his opinions etc.

Worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Those 20” alloys look great but really kill the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Can’t watch any of his videos or take his opinion seriously. He’s too much of a Tesla fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Yeah maybe a little, Tesla fanboys are his prime demographic so he has to pander. Even looking at the thumbnail you are not comparing two cars in the same segment to each-other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

He is a bit of a fanboy alright but he's honest enough with all cars good and bad points. Covers a good spread of EV's and their range and charging speeds in everyday use.

• Advertisement

Is he though?

He seen the gap in the market with EV’s and jumped on it. Tesla mainly as that’s what was available to the masses in the UK. He has also had Porsche and Audi from memory

Wisely Automotive in London done the same except they concentrated on i3’s for years. They have no expanded with more EV’s on their forecourt.

Richard praised the i4 so I doubt he’s doing that just to keep the bmw fanboys happy. I’m sure he really likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

True. I like him generally - I really wanted him to not just be a.n.other Tesla guy.

worth bearing in mind too that the m3 is the best selling car in the UK, so his YouTube target market is huge, and reviewers like him are dying for ‘the next m3’, considering they won’t be reviewing a new Tesla for a long long time - whereas the m3 polls at number 36-38 best selling model in Ireland for 2020/21 and so far in ‘22, noise level really - so reviews of the other electric cars are equally/more important here.

as said before, The UK has excellent Tesla lease and PCP options, which we don’t have here, so when it comes to paying big money for a car, people clearly tend towards what they know.

I don't think Richard Symons is a Tesla fanboi at all. He started in the second hand EV market with Teslas as they were the only "upmarket" EVs around at the time. He's a proper petrolhead, owned a BMW M5 (E60 with the V10 engine) before he ever had a Tesla. I'd say if you ask him what the best EV out there is, he will tell you it's the Porsche Taycan (which he owns too)

Its not that he reviews non Teslas EV's badly...its that he lets the tesla away with murder because his entire channel is basically based on Tesla. Look at his top videos....even the non Tesla vids are "reviewed by a tesla owner" so there to capture Tesla eyeballs looking for some sweet confirmation bias.

He gives non Tesla faint praise.....but mostly fails to point out the issues with the Tesla in the same manner as the non Tesla's. He seems to have had a lot of the same cars as me so he knows what I am talking about.

In fairness, that is one thing I hate about the clickbait generation. Once he adds Tesla to the title he opens up more viewings which is more income at the end of the day.

Carwow does the same, here’s the iX, is it a Tesla killer….it’s like everyone is trying to be the Tesla killer!

It Akon to the iPhone / Samsung IMO. People will choose what they like I suppose and that’s the good thing about choice.

In my house alone, my wife drives my Tesla but would she swap her bmw for one, not a chance!

That he compares these cars at all and does range tests is a pointless farce...its playing to the tesla "top trumps mentality"...Does a model 3 standard range go further on a charge than a im40.....who give a fcuk, nobody spending on the beemer is trying to out range a tesla. (was a BMW every baught for pure economy?) I would assume deep down he is not a Tesla Fanboi but he knows what side his bread is buttered on. And remember this guys is a car sales man, cannot sell you a car today and slag it off tomorrow...tesla have not released a new car since 2017...the model Y is not a new car, that the comparisons would point out that they are starting to show their age would be obvious....but its absent.

The fact that a 2017 designed Model 3 can be compared to a 2022 released BMW holds well with the Tesla design. What else is he going to compare it to though? The i4 design concept was also announced in 2017, with further concept in 2020 so both cars aren’t exactly brand new.

This BMW and that Tesla are the new 320d and A4 of the EV world.

What other mid sized saloons are out there with 500bhp to compare?

I agree about buying these cars, that your not buying for economy etc

If you wanted that you’d buy the eDrive40, or the Standard RWD Model 3, but they are both considered when buying. I very nearly bought the eDrive40 in MSport plus trim (no budget for the M50) but I personally didn’t like them, I still have my deposit paid for a Model 3 long range but in the mean time have sold the Model S Performance and in a Model 3 Performance now, and I can’t see myself taking the LR when it arrives. The eDrive40 would have been cheaper too.

Id love to give the order to someone else as I’m locked in at the old pricing so someone can get a LR with upgraded 19” wheels for less than a age LR at the current pricing.

Just watched the vid now. Clearly Richard Symons rates the i4 M50 higher than the Tesla Model 3 Performance in many ways, or am I missing something here? It's more comfortable, more refined and the on paper performance difference isn't really there in real life. Sure it doesn't have the same range or efficiency, but who cares.

I think you’re correct - but I’d say that’s the wider consensus anyway - the wider buying public will err towards the ‘sensible, known’ option when it comes to a big ticket purchase.

in a choice between the base m3 or base i4, I’d have the m3 and pocket the €10k+ price difference, (and I drive the 4gc currently and absolutely love it).

whereas if I’m in the price bracket of an M3P or M50, I’d have the m50 without a second thought - all, day, long.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

its a good video , will be interesting to see how he gets on with it over next few weeks. For the laugh i specced up an m50 last night & when you add a few of the packs to get the same level as the performance model 3 with blue paint it was €93k, thats €20k more than the Tesla M3P & really into Taycan money which lets face it is the better car. In reality range is important to most people so it looks like around 350-370 kms for the M50 & probably less on the motorway.

I did a trip to the west at the weekend with 4 of us in the M3P ( on 20" wheels) with aircon on and a 275km round trip consumed 60% battery at speeds of 100-110km/hr giving me a total range of 460 km, for me anyway i'm happy with that but if we all liked the same thing life would be pretty boring. some people prefer Tesla , some BMW, some Porsche so its all good

• Advertisement

i doubt anyone is spec’ing the m50 over €90k, but meanwhile the taycan would require €15-20k in options just to be able to drive out of the dealers (speaking from experience with a cayenne e-hybrid). That comparison has been argued out here countless times.

why spec up a Golf, versus a Passat on hubcaps…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Mine is costing just over @ €91K, it's pretty much fully loaded. I considered a Taycan but when spec'd how I wanted it (similar options to i4), it was €130K so I decided against it. I had no interest in sacrificing a bunch of options just to get a Taycan, but I understand a lot of people will.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Exactly when you add Blue paint, tech pack, comfort pack ( heated steering wheel) & visibility pack (laser lights) & electric glass sunroof & dont add carbon pack and there were lots of others i didn't pick & it was 93k saying that a basic taycan has very few toys

Yeah true, when I think about it there was probably another €5K worth I didn't add.

I bought a new 4gc in 2015 - the new comparative versions of the i4 are €10k more expensive.

loosely speaking that’s 440i v m50 and 420d v i4 40 (All in msport plus)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Feck me, some of the BMW's are expensive, the i4 seems like good value compared to them.

What is a comparable car? size wise, forget about range or charging speed, 3 series?

Post edited by kanuseeme on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

At the end of the day you can't directly compare any of the 3 cars (model3, i4, taycan) and they all have their own levels too, none of which are directly map-able either as the price points are so different, they all have their pros and cons.

E.g. very basic performance of 0-100kmph M3P is 3.3s 0-100, i4 M50 is 3.9s, then which Taycan do you want to compare it to? 4S 4.0s, GTS is 3.7s, Turbo is 3.2s and all with base spec were at least €110k with base spec, can't see prices anymore so can't say for sure.

They all look totally different on exterior so just down to personal preference, interiors are vastly different. Have owned a Tesla M3P and really missed the comfort and finish of the BMW 5 series and missed having apple carplay!, I have an i4 m50 on order and I think it's miles ahead of the M3P, I had a test drive in a Taycan and it's another level up from the i4 I think.

I don't buy the narrative either that you can get into base Taycan for similar money of an i4 m50 fully specced up. I'd have a well specced i4 M50 all day long, but give me a GTS with a few extras and I would go for it all day long then but then it's not far of double the price. I'd take a M3P over a base spec i4 40. But that's with trying to evaluate the pros and cons of each one which is not easy at all!

Nobody has really mentioned the Audi Etron GT much either, but I'd pick that over the Taycan if I had the choice of the 2 of them, again it's just personal preference and I know lot's here would disagree with that

In a normal market, the Audi version of a VAG platform would sell considerably more volume than the Porsche version.

However, in the case of the Etron GT, the taycan has outsold it by multiples, even YTD 2022, and continues to sell about thr same annual volume since it was released 2 years ago . personally I find the taycan a far more unique offering, for pretty similar money.

Just on the eTron GT - would the non RS version be in between a Taycan RWD & 4S? I know price is similar to the 4S, but output etc. is a little bit down on it, or have I got that wrong?

• Advertisement

It would be the equivalent of the 4S, power wise and it also being 4WD

... I will say the eTron GT in much more impressive in the flesh than it looks in any photo IMO, it really needs to be seen to be appreciated. Unfortunately not available to order anywhere though and hasn't been for a while now so not surprised the Taycan is outselling it.

Advertisement