Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

From the video having a go at Macrons frequent phone calls to Putin

"Macroning - to call many times and for no reason"

Well they got one thing right anyway 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

We, the readers and contributors to this thread, would be punished for stealing a loaf of bread, not having a TV licence or parking on a double yellow.

Putin, however, is being allowed level cities with impunity. It is obvious that under his unevolved regime, lives don't matter.

Tarred, feathered, put on display in a cage in central Kiev and fed rotted scraps.

Not very geopolitical of me ?

I regard geopolitics as the long term projection of identifiable trends regarding the proliferation of any particular ideology.

Putin needs a bloody nose and a broken leg

I'd suggest a bodybag

Eh?

"A civilised arrangement may be possible"? It's already evident that Putin spits in the face of the wests idea of "civilised"

Macron is suggesting that Ukraine hand over large parts of its territory to appease Putin this time, so that Putin is not humiliated. I mean seriously Wtf? Ukraine may not be WW2, but Putin is certainly a doppelganger for Hitler without doubt.

Appeasement was tried with Hitler prior to the start of WW2 and from history we know how that went. Do you honestly believe that Hitler would have desisted because that "civilised" agreement meant that he wasn't "humiliated" and if only everyone was nicer to him? And everything was all lovely afterwards?

What alternative universe are we living in?

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

There has been a lot of OTT comment on Marcon's apparent appeasement of Putin, but the French seem to have come up with the goods in the form of very capable 155mm long-range artillery. Credit where credit is due.

The French can be tricky to interpret at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Another one bites the dust

And another one gone and another one gone

Russian Generals are in short supply, someone is trying to send Putin a message or two methinks. :)

Dan.

• I dont think Ukraine will agree to any peace deal, eventually will just meet military stale mate and end up with a post 2014 Donbas situation but over a larger scale / area and it will be with the Russian army, not Russians pretending to be rebels like last time. I think this is what they mean by the war going on for years perhaps decades?! However what might be different is that the west might be more willing to arm Ukraine but the quantity is important too, you hear of this country giving tanks or artillery but its the quantity of the equipment received that matters as well. Ukraine needs focus on rebuilding the economy / factories in western Urkraine where its safer, because this situation will be here for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I wonder does Macron have a point in some ways about not humiliating Putin?

I like many other posters here would love to see Ukraine give Russia a bloody nose and see the Russian troops pushed right back over the border.

But we haven't seen Putin use the nuclear card yet, is it possible that if Russia is humiliated and pushed back to such an extent that Putin just says f**ck it and sends one nuclear war head to a random Ukrainian city as a warning to surrender then if that doesn't work decides to target Kyiv and so on, could he be that mad and get away with turning Ukraine into a nuclear wasteland?

I would love to see Putin and Russia humiliated, but there is always that nuclear threat in the background which would worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Because of the MUCH reduced business, diplomatic and otherwise, between the sanction supporting countries and Russia, the whole embassy structure should be looked at to make it more efficient. For example, suggest to Russia that instead of it having an embassy in each country , that it would open an embassy in , say Belgium or Brussels, and deal with the countries that want to buy into the concept. Russia could do the same thing by having one office in Moscow that would deal with all the issues to be handled on behalf of those countries that have bought into the concept.

the above concept solves in o stroke the numbers issue in Ireland and it helps to send to Ru another message that can be added to all the other actions. It also curtails Ru efforts re espionage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I think it's universally agreed that they will be no Nuke used by Russia. Putin does not have the support from all the necessary people in Moscow to fire them. All he does is bluster like a school yard tug. The biggest threat would come from Russian sponsored terror attacks which could include dirty bombs. Lucky for us, Putin's army of henchmen are now dead so the foot soldiers for that are in short supply.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Can everyone drop the back and forth arguing about each other (that I'm pretty sure nobody except the participants involved read anyway) and get back to the topic at hand, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

None of us really know what state of mind Putin really is in, so we can all only guess at this point. However, Putin likely knows that the nukes are the last ace he has up his sleeve. They are currently his most valuable asset because his possession of such weapons provides him with a degree of impunity. Once he starts using them, they lose this value.

Whilst the Kremlin likely doesn’t care about the optics of becoming the First Nation since WW2 to use nukes in anger, such a move will likely galvanise even some of the more hesitant countries into action, particularly France and Germany, who both have a lot to lose from this war going nuclear. As such, the Russian nuclear arsenal will lose its deterrent value and the west will likely engage Russia on a much broader front than we’re seeing currently. It is also likely to spur China into action as an irrational neighbour lobbing nukes around is likely not in Beijing’s interest. In short, he would massively weaken his own position by using them.

Given the above, and with the aforementioned caveat about Putins state of mind, I doubt that he is going to launch nukes unless the war really turns against him and the core territory of Russia is threatened. He’s not going to throw away his “get-out-of-jail” card, at least if he is somewhat rational.

Now, if he’s at the “Bunker in Berlin, April 1945” stage, then all bets are off naturally.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

No, there's no chance of him using nuclear weapons in Ukraine. Once nukes are used, it's game over. The value of nukes is more in their threat than their use. Once you use them, you become an existential threat to the entire world and you must be shut down immediately. The world not only wouldn't sit by in that situation, but it couldn't sit by in that situation. There just wouldn't be the luxury.

Anyway, being pushed back in Ukraine wouldn't be a humiliation, regardless of what Putin thinks a humiliation should be defined as. If Russia lost some of its own territory, or was forced to agree to an unconditional surrender, that would be closer to being a humiliation. Being pushed back in Ukraine would only be just.

• The thing with the nuclear weapons is that Russian has now set a precedent, what now if a another rogue nuclear state invades its neighbours?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yea I think you guys are probably right. But the problem for me is Russia and Putin are not acting rationally and there is always that worry they just go full on rogue with their nuclear weapons.

I would have thought that if he was mad enough to go down that route then it would become even more of a risk getting militarily invloved with Russia knowing that they are crazy enough to use nukes when ever it suits them. But I agree they would lose any support they may have with China and anyone else in the world if they go down that route.

This is what a direct hit from artilllery or mortars looks like on russian troops

warning graphic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I guess if the Russians are failing to get quick success using a military doctrine that is their bread and butter, they don't really have a Plan C as Plan A failed utterly and Plan B, while it gave them limited success at the beginning is starting to drag out much longer than anticpated.

What is their way out, especially as Western Heavy Weapons are starting to arrive and make a difference on the battlefield? Time is on the Ukrainian side.

If they stop now, it's a humiliation, if they retreat, it's a humiliation, if they continue on as they have done so for the past 100 days, they may not have much of an army left, which will be a humiliation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Agree completely. The same way the West helping Ukraine merely defend itself is labelled a "provocation" by Russia. The double standards are nauseating. But that's what nuclear weapons are worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency: The situation in Ukraine's Zaporizhia constitutes a clear and present danger to the security and peace of the nuclear power plant there

Nuclear Power plants are not conducive to bombs and wars being fought

Post edited by Hobgoblin11 on

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It strikes me that Putin is pursuing the war for purely political reasons and for the optics with the domestic audience. Which is why many of the Russian military analysts and observers are becoming depressed and asking "what the hell are we even doing there?". Seems to be no chance of a military success for the remainder of 2022, which begs the question as to what sort of a "liberation" it is, where the place becomes a permanent war zone and uninhabitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I completely agree.

So, what next? - any "agreement" with Russia is worthless long term but supposing there was a "current agreement" regarding the recognition of Ukrainian territory, then that agreement could pave the way for NATO membership, the only long term guarantee for Ukraine. It has to be done while Russia is still weak. Putin: "You can't do that, I'll invade, oh wait!" Russia down the line: "this isn't 2022, Ukraine is in NATO now"

Whatever way you look at it, Russia is swimming in its own faeces and the powers that "may soon" be in Russia know who's to blame.

Putin is toast and Russia may soon have to dance for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭jackboy

There is conflicting information coming out. I see some Ukrainian sources now saying that gains in severodonetsk did not happen. That info was put out as Zelensky was visiting the region. Hard to know what is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I wonder if this will have a larger psychological impact on the Russians than other high-ranking casualties. "Kutuzov" is a name that carries weight in Russian military history. Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov was commander of the Russian armies at Austerlitz in 1805 and Borodino in 1812 and won victory for Russia in the Russo-Turkish War.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

oil tankers are doing oil transfers ship to ship in the open Atlantic ocean now to desperately trying to sell russian crude oil to customers elsewhere.

This is a disaster waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

At first Russian forces first pushed Ukraine forces back with a huge amount of reserve troops,LNR and DNR.Ukraine retreated to the industrial area and hid.Russia had all of the city and were very confident in their victory.Ukraine forces then hit them with Artillery and counter attacked(this may have been a plan/trap).Ukraine forces took 80% of the city.

Russia attacked again today with their reserves/cannon fodder and its 50/50 now with a no-mans land in the city centre which is under heavy Artillery fire.Ukraine forces tried to get closer in an attempt to stop the Artillery fire but Russia kept firing and hit their own men.

This battle is constantly changing.Other reports suggest that the private mercenaries,wagner and VDV have take 60% losses in Ukraine....losses=injured+dead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

has anyone asked macron - where would france be today if us/uk etc. didnt want to humiliate hitler - didnt want to humiliate the nazis by retaking france ... what planet is he on ..?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I don't think Macron is that stupid. "Macroning" might be a smoke screen, while sending weapons in the background....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

If true, good news.

I assume the point of the current battles in Severodonetsk is to inflict as high a cost on the Russian army as possible in taking the city. Same as in Mariupol, the Russians will just throw numbers at it until they are in control of a smouldering pile of rubble and dead soldiers, including many of their own.

This kind of urban warfare must be unbelievably tense and claustrophobic. Real whites of their eyes kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement