Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

Just back from it and loved it, going again with the family on Sunday!

I watched the original for the first time in years the other night; it's an iconic 80's movie and was always a cheesefest but man what a bag of cringe; it was a struggle to get through it tbh! But I'm glad I did watch it again before this as I wouldn't have remembered most of it and the narrative threads between the two films.

If you're talking about 'Bob' he wasn't a pilot he was a Weapons System Officer.

I only remember Maverick saying it once at the beginning and then Rooster saying "talk to me Dad" towards the end and that was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Could've sworn it was more than that TBH, but don't ask me to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Was he not in the plane helping the pilot see etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Loved it… I will say it felt more in the mould of a mission impossible film than the original top gun but I loved it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He was in the second plane that had the tracking/missile locking device. His only role was to lock the missile on the primary plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Yes, 20/40 vision in each eye correctable to 20/20.

There's also a bit of a caveat that if you're already trained you might get away with being slightly outside the limits. The more obvious example being amputees that go back to active service despite not allowing amputees as recruits.

Saw it this evening and it was much better than it had any right to be. Knowing those stunts were almost all practical, though I'm sure there were a few perspective tricks, really added to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thought it was brilliant , Tom Cruise is superb in it, its incredibly impressive how real the whole thing felt opposed to be full of CGI. It has its flaws of course, some of the dialogue is incredibly cheesy but I wasn't bored for a second.

Also refreshing to see a blockbuster that wasn't comic book related or just another CGI fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

For a movie with high stakes I was kind of disappointed and how reluctant they were to kill those on the american side. And all the yoing actors were instantly forgettable and not a patch on Cruise and Kilmer in the first movie. Still was an enjoyable movie.

Now, you couldn't have actors upstaging Cruise, now could you? Don't get the first bit about not wanting to kill Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I guess like in the first movie they killed Goose to show how risky flying is.

Ah, you mean none of Cruises team died? That would have reflected badly on Maverick, considering he was going along to make sure they all survived... the more I think about it... i think the less I should think about it!

I think he means that none of the pilots died on the near suicidal mission and the almost as dangerous training when usually at least one would be killed off to show the stakes. I thought that's what they were doing when Payback(?) blacked out during the high g climb in training.

Yes, he subsequently clarified for the dunces in the audience. 😀

Saw it again earlier, it's even better the second time. They really nailed it I have to say, not that it's in any way perfect but it's such a blast of a movie with just the right amount of nostalgia and lots of heart, the time absolutely (pun intended) flies by!

You're kind of right, Maverick says it one more time just before the mission begins (so 3 times in total)...

One thing that was overdone were the 2 instances of Deus Ex Machina in quick succession

Rooster blowing up the helicopter just in the nick of time and then Hangman doing the same with the enemy fighter.

But still, both sequences had lots of tension and I can personally forgive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That was just a great **** movie.

Just brilliant.

Only negative was that Danger Zone was not playing on a loop over the full 2 hours, but I'll let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

That was great, saw it in the Point last night and it looked effectively near sold out. I believe if it makes over $450m in the US it will have outsold the original film inflation adjusted and its nearly at $300m now. The film flew by , the Val Kilmer scenes were touching and there were some genuine laughs. A great action hero movie and it wasnt woke!!!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

OH and I saw it yesterday and thought it was great. It shouldnt have worked, the plot elements should have been too cheesy and the lack of character development of the young pilots should have detracted from it but somehow it was just incredibly exciting and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Is it worth going to the imax in blanch to see this? Vue is my local cinema but if its worth the trip over I might try the imax instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Pulling in bank! $548m worldwide ($291m USA, $257m World) after two weekends

Putting it number 4 for the year so far. Could go number one. Probably depends on what impact Jurrassic World has when it gets released this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was super entertaining and Tom Cruise puts in a good turn. It's cheesy but in a very positive way, well paced as well. Solid action scenes.

It's funny the lengths they went to, to not name any specific country, I assume it's supposed to be Iran or maybe Syria. The idea of either having this world-class air force in terms of equipment and pilots is kinda comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Nearly fell asleep watching it tbh. 5 out of 10. Woeful plot and no real twist to it... Poor enough I thought.

That's after watching it in cinema, reckon I'd have turned it off if at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I enjoyed it greatly. I watched the first one last Thursday for the first time and that bored me. This while silly in places was just brilliantly entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That was a damn good movie, very entertaining..

for such a good actress, if Jennifer Connolly's scenes were cut, it wouldn't change the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Enjoyed it immensely from the first few notes of the opening Top Gun Theme to Cruise showing off his own P-51 Mustang in the final scene.

TBH: the notion that a captain in the US Navy could afford a $4m vintage plane was one of the biggest stretches of the imagination for me in the entire film!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Seen it in the Imax in parnell at the weekend.. great cinema movie.. could never repeat the experience at home..

Advertisement