Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How is it anything like your point? You introduced the idea of viability, the Department of Education has a different idea of viability than you do. Parents are not forced to enrol their children in schools which they do not wish their children to be enrolled in, and there are numerous alternatives available to them, all with differing degrees of viability depending upon their personal circumstances will require them to make in some cases significant sacrifices for their children’s education.

The only obligation the State places on parents is that their children receive a minimum standard of education, and whether or not their children are receiving a minimum standard of education is determined by an education welfare officer on behalf of Tusla on a case by case basis in accordance with the circumstances pertaining to each individual case -

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/attendance_and_discipline_in_schools/school_attendance.html

The provision in question is far from useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

With 97% of all school provision been religious there is no choice - the choice is an illusion - a chimera of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

More utter rubbish.

The churches control schools but they do not fund them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You brought up the article, not me.

I countered by saying its irrelevant because it doesn't provide for options. Which it doesn't. You blaming parents for not willing to accept unrealistic options is irrlevant.

Act fails.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The fact that 94% of primary schools are religious, has no bearing on the fact that viable alternatives exist for 100% of parents, so this idea that parents have no viable alternatives is what’s nonsense. Parents just aren’t making the choices for their children’s education that you want them to make, and they’re not interested in lobbying Government on other parents behalf either. That’s what it comes down to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Just being lazy. There is always a choice. You just want to prevent those seeking a catholic education with a catholic ethos and religious instruction.

Is it in the law that 94% of schools are catholic?

Feel free to point that piece of legislation out to me ... with a reference of course!

Parents who send their children to a catholic ethos school knowing there are alternatives but still decide to send their child despite their having no faith and wishing their child to have no faith are just shills for the atheist and irreligious.

You can be sure that if it were the other way around, those of faith would absolutely make the extra effort in taking their child to a school with the ethos they wish their child to be educated in. It's the case in the USA. I know of families who brought their children to schools over 30 miles away so they could be educated in a catholic school. But for someone in Ireland who doesn't want religion, doesn't want a catholic ethos, they want everything handed to them.

Off ya go and bring your darling to the school you want them educated in. If that means a bit of a sacrifice needs to be made on your part, so be it. Don't go moaning and whingeing about something being forced on you or your children. There is choice. You are just being too lazy.

Yes, I brought up the article in response to your argument that parents have no choice. I was pointing out that they do. Then you made the point that the provision is irrelevant because it doesn’t include viable options, but that has nothing to do with that specific provision.

It’s why I quoted the whole of the Article to make the point that the State recognises that it is the family is primarily responsible for the education of their own children, and the State provides reasonable aid in support of that goal for the common good of society. I made the point before that, that it is the responsibility of the Department of Education to fund the provision of more schools in order to support parents who do not want a Catholic education for their children.

The Department of Education already sees it that the State is fulfilling it’s obligation by suggesting that as long as there are places in existing schools, they are not obligated to provide funding for more schools. I don’t think it’s reasonable that anyone would claim they didn’t know that Catholic schools provide education in accordance with Catholic ethos, unless they’d been living under a rock for the last 20 years and hadn’t been through the education system themselves, or they were new to the country and weren’t aware that the majority of schools in Ireland are Catholic ethos schools.

In cases where they are new to the country, they face a different set of obstacles in trying to enrol their children in Catholic ethos schools which they want to enrol their children in. I try and support them as much as I try and support parents who are seeking support for alternative arrangements for their children’s education.

Btw, if you can’t deal with what you describe as my pedantics, good luck to you in your dealings with the Department of Education or other Government bodies! 😬

Parents who send their children to a catholic ethos school knowing there are alternatives but still decide to send their child despite their having no faith and wishing their child to have no faith are just shills for the atheist and irreligious.

To a certain extent, I would agree with you here - but it would ultimately depend on the convenience and quality of the options.

You can be sure that if it were the other way around, those of faith would absolutely make the extra effort in taking their child to a school with the ethos they wish their child to be educated in. It's the case in the USA. I know of families who brought their children to schools over 30 miles away so they could be educated in a catholic school. But for someone in Ireland who doesn't want religion, doesn't want a catholic ethos, they want everything handed to them.

30 miles is nothing to the average American - expecting someone do to a 60 mile round trip in Ireland because that's the nearest non-denomination school is a dismissive slap in the face frankly. But say what you like about America, it DOES know how to keep a secular system in order.

Beyond that, you still havent answered my question: why is it a bad thing to have optional religious instruction in a secular school? I really don;t see why you can have a school that accomodates everyone.

• Advertisement

I really don;t see why you can have a school that accomodates everyone.

You can, but it’s how any school chooses to accommodate everyone is part of the problem of trying to accommodate everyone, and it’s the Department of Education don’t make it as simple as you would wish it to be -

Again, pedantics. I said if it doesn;t give options, it fails. And in a lot of cases it doesn't. Just because it is an act of the consitution of Ireland, doesn't mean it's not flawed. It is flawed and I have proven it to be flawed. QED.

End of discission, you're saying the same thing again and I'm not responding beyond this post.

It’s not pedantics at all. The alternatives are provided in the Article. Specifically -

2 Parents shall be free to provide this education in their homes or in private schools or in schools recognised or established by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

I would argue that having religious domination schools is bad for social cohesion and so bad for society. We only need to look across the border to see how bad things can be as a consequence of segregating children into tribal groups at primary school. I would say exactly the same sort of social division is fostered south of the boarder for exactly the same reasons.

Religion should be kept out of schools for the good of society.

THose aren't options if you're not qualified or don't have time to teach or can't afford private school.

So, it is quite fine and dandy for someone else to take it upon themselves - namely American Catholics - to have to make a long trek to get to their chosen school, but for the Irish Atheist, it's a slap across the face to have them make the same distance?

You do realise that's pure nonsense? Unless you think that the Irish are too soft to be doing the "right thing" by their child?

I have no problem with people of no faith wanting their own school/education ... but don't impose that upon my local school where the majority are happy with what they have. Find your own place that will suit you and your needs.

There is no requirement for a parent to be a qualified teacher in order to educate their own children.

Parents not having time to educate their own children isn’t the impediment you make out it is either as there are numerous groups in Ireland who organise home schooling or organise facilities among themselves for the education of their children in schools which are not recognised by the State and therefore receive no State funding. The schools are entirely funded and organised by people who have an interest in providing education for the children in their communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

America has freedom of religion - so, not comparable to Ireland which does not.

I don't think anyone should have to travel 30 miles for an education, frankly; whereas you seem to have no problem with other people doing it.

What exactly is the difference between a "no faith" school that accomodates religious instruction and a religious school?

I'd argue that the State is massivly failing people here by not building and fundning a national school in the vacinity.

So, like you've been saying all along, 'yep, this is how it is and change the constitution if you don't like it.'

• Advertisement

Exactly. Options in name are not real options. Flowery wording, act fails.

Ireland doesn't have freedom of religion?

Are you perchance managing to post here from some kind of a time warp continuum and are currently living in the 6th century?

FYI - Article 44 of the Irish Constitution, enacted in 1937 would state the opposite of your "opinion" ...

Try again there buddy.

Did you read the first part of article 44? And did you forget the whole 'blasphemy referendum' thing? The state recognizes religion - this is important, the state believes that religion has a role to play and will take measures to impact that. You can't, for example, sue a school because it insists on your child being exposed to religious training because the state recognizes religion. Freedom means, the State can't get involved. Not the case in Ireland at all.

What’s this “options in name” stuff? They are options, they require making sacrifices, like all parents make for their children. You hardly think parents who don’t want a religious education for their children are unique? I have no doubt that when there are as many of them around as you claim there are, they can put their collective heads together and come up with a viable solution.

They shouldn’t have to, as that’s one of the functions of the State, but waiting on the State to support them is the very definition of not taking any action. At least the people involved in SSI are taking action, even if they’ve been shafted by the Department of Education who, in the opinion of the Court, failed to understand their own policies -

However, in June SSI was told that its application was invalid because it had only confirmed a willingness to meet one of seven requirements that had been set out in application guidelines.

In judicial review proceedings SSI argued it did not understand it was obliged to make an explicit statement concerning these requirements.

It said the fact that it was applying should have been understood as tacit acceptance of all conditions.

SSI's argument was dismissed by the High Court but it has now won its case at the Court of Appeal.

Giving the three-judge court's decision, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said the department's understanding of its own guidelines was "erroneous".

He said it was not stated anywhere in the guidelines that commitments referred to must be expressed in the application.

The information provided also did not make clear to applicants that failure to specify acceptance of the conditions in their application would be "fatal", he said.

Mr Justice Ryan said this was the first such application from SSI and the department had wrongly excluded it from consideration.

The judge said the court was not required to decide wider issues concerning the State's obligations or parental rights in relation to secular education.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/0302/856785-school-patronage-secular-schools-ireland/

Like I said, if you think I’m being pedantic, good luck to you in your dealings with the Department of Education and other State bodies.

You are now changing the definition of freedom.

Freedom does not mean the state gets involved where the parents might take offence at their kids receiving religious instruction.

Freedom means you can choose to engage or not engage with religious beliefs and practices. The state does not have to provide an alternative on your doorstep so your sensitivities are catered for.

Freedom of religion exists in this country whether you think so or not.

Freedom means the State doesn't get involved. Period. If I were to host a mass of the Church of Satan in downtown Dublin that involved using aborted fetuses as part of the sacrifice and someone complained and the Gardai showed up to shut it down, that's not freedom of Religion. Unfortunately, you can't do that in Ireland as the State could get involved.

Likewise, if I choose to sue because my local school insists on having Catholic indoctrination as part of its curricula, well, I can't, because this is guaranteed in the Constitution and hence, supported by the state.

Freedom of religion means you can live your life free of religion and not have to support any religion through taxes. Such is not the case in Ireland. As the pedant above states, basically, good luck and get the constitution changed.

What taxes are you paying that supports the catholic church? Are you a bit confused and perhaps think you're living in Germany?

School tax that goes to fund schools that provide religious indoctrination. The thing that's been discussed here for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It certainly doesn't have freedom from religion.

The taxes that pay the salaries of teachers in church schools.

The only pretence here is the pretence that parents have any realistic choice with the church operating 94% of schools. ET schools are typically oversubscribed about 500% based on personal experience. They are turning away five times as many students as they accept. Most have local restrictions in their enrolment policies, so those who aren't local are extremely unlikely to get a place.

But yeah, tell me again about the great choices those parents have.

It's down to a shortage of schools that aren't run by the church.

And rightly so. Kids SHOULD be going to the local school. A very large chunk of the traffic chaos on our roads is schools traffic. Kids should be going to the local school, within walking or cycling distance. They shouldn't be trawling from one side of the city to the other just to avoid being indoctrinated.

They DO think it is very important to get their claws into the under 10s, which is why they maintain the vice-like control grip on schools.

You seem confused between patronage and funding. Patrons don't pay salaries for teachers. Patrons don't pay for extra classroom blocks.

The only pretence here is the pretence that parents have any realistic choice with the church operating 94% of schools. ET schools are typically oversubscribed about 500% based on personal experience. They are turning away five times as many students as they accept. Most have local restrictions in their enrolment policies, so those who aren't local are extremely unlikely to get a place.

But yeah, tell me again about the great choices those parents have.

The only rash here is the one on my arse from the nervous scratching arising from the deep frustration at having to repeatedly explain to you that it's not my judgement. It is the church judgement, the church standard, the church rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

De Valera and Archbishop John McQuaid era is long gone. But would it be anything to do with the 87 ( or was it 78 ) % figure in the census who professed themselves a being Christian??? And regardless of how "dedicated" they are, they do not have any particular inclination to change the present schools / education set up, now would it??? Because if they had, 87 % or 78% would have changed the face of education in this Country. ( or indeed anything else they put their minds to ) So the Church and State hand and glove relationship has no meaning....now, on the other hand,,,Voters and TD's are linked, and TD's election antenna's are extremely sensitive to Parish politics', and that includes schooling.

Advertisement