Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Ukraine will be on a downer after today's result. Whether Ireland can take advantage is anyone's guess. I still think Yarmolenko and his team will still be too strong for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

This is the mad thing, can't remember the last time we played anyone decent - every game over the past couple of years seems to be against a no-mark yet we still seem to be going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You're not aware that he retired either it seems. Don't be throwing nonsense around suggesting Armenia "beat us and Mkhitarayan wasn't even playing", then trying to move the goal posts when you're pulled up on it. They had their best ever run of form without him in the team. He came back, they fell apart, and he subsequently retired.

Kenny got it badly wrong yesterday with selection and failing to react to the match situation. I've said as much in my previous post. Doesn't mean he should be sacked or isn't fit for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A big part of it is this I think - I'm generally alright with Kenny, but yesterday was a poor performance with some tactical mistakes and a few lads missing great chances, so I'd have wanted to come in and say some negative things. Except then I read through what's actually written here, and it's all skewed so far into the end of the world that you end up with the urge to try to pull it back towards a bit of common sense.

To read most in here it's like the past 9 months of improved performances never happened, with just one bad result in 35 degree heat.

And then you also have lads feverishly pointing at Norway's 9-0 win over Armenia, declaring that this Armenia team are there to be smashed - completely ignoring that that match was a friendly, that Armenia had a man sent off at 0-0, and also fielded a very different team than played last night.

The whole point of the Nations League is that you're playing against teams in and around your level. There's no such thing as having a San Marino in your group in this format, unless you're the Faroe Islands etc. Armenia are in tier B of the nations league, same as us. We're a better team than them for sure, but they're not hopeless... like, they beat Romania, Iceland, Greece and North Macedonia over the past while, all decent teams.

Last night wasn't good enough, we should've found a way, and taken our chances. I'm disappointed in it after the quite decent run we were on. But let's not lose the heads altogether like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

OP is lying, the contributors and host criticised his setup - said he was too conservative and should have had a third midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The question mark in my comment to Rebel ought to have been a bit of a hint that I wasn't aware. Unlike yourself, I wasn't about to go look up the Armenian national team's recent record on Wikipedia in an effort to deflect attention away from a coach's dismal record of 2 competitive wins in 16 attempts. We both know you haven't seen the Armenia team either beyond the game yesterday. Fact remains Mkhitaryan has been their one quality player, carried them for years, and they were able to deservedly beat us without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

No question Ukraine should be too much for us IMHO. They have a much better team then we do with some genuinely quality players. I would expect them to win on Wednesday.

Yeah, will be a very hard one. They're the one team in the group with proper goalscoring quality it looks like (today aside). Yaremchuk and Yarmolenko are dangerous in that regard.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

No need for me to go on Wikipedia for anything. I do my research on opposition teams, and comment after that. Rather than making silly statements about things I know nothing about.

Hard to know how the Ukraine players will react. Will they be drained after the disappointment, or will they embrace having a game to focus on? Definitely would have been better if they had won today. The emotional reaction to that, not to mention the partying afterwards, would have left them ideal opponents.

Aye, right. When you've finished researching Ukraine ahead of Wednesday, have a closer look at the dire state of our own team.

• Advertisement

For a man who acts like he watches every football match simultaneously, you're being badly shown up for lack of knowledge.

I'm quite secure in my knowledge of football, mate. I certainly had a far better understanding of how this managerial reign was going to pan out than the likes of yourself did. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The only thing in our defence is we tend to put up a fight against decent teams (like Serbia and Portugal in WC qualifying). Ok, Serbia in battered us in both games and Portugal weren't really interested in Dublin, but we drew against them both in Dublin and lost by one goal in both away games. It wouldn't overly surprise me if we drew against a drained Ukraine on Wednesday. I don't expect it, but I didn't expect us to lose yesterday and I think we're unpredictable if nothing else. (Watch now as we lose 4-0...)

But we got two points off Portugal/Serbia in qualifying, and if we get the same off Ukraine/Scotland, that has us going into our final game needing a win against Armenia to avoid relegation. You wouldn't be confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The way they are playing based on current and past Kenny teams. He might jammy a 0-0 in the odd game left in the nations league.

Then Kenny will Talk up the possession stats (backwards and sideways stuff). No penetrated dangerous passes that worry the opposing team. Easy to defend against.

While the opposition get all the good chances and Bazunu/Kelleher gets the ‘3 MOTM’. That is Ireland’s current best case scenario. Has happened to much to be coincidence.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Sounds a lot like you just haven't watched our last 6 to 9 months of games, where we've been much better getting forward and been far more penetrating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yes this league has Euro playoff places as prizes, but you still have win a semi and final, probably away as well.

Best to use these games to get ready for proper qualifying ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

We have and we haven't. Getting an early goal - like against Qatar and Azerbaijan - makes a huge difference to a game. It means the weaker side can't sit back and defend against us; they have to open up a bit. Then we can be quite effective.

But if we don't get that goal - and we struggled badly even in the 3-0 win over Luxembourg until a nice deflection helped us on the way, and also in Andorra for an hour until they tired - then we have a very hard time creating much. And God help us if we concede then.

I thought the run of form late last year meant we had improved, but the games v Lithuania and Armenia have me thinking nothing's changed at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

A positive that Scott Brown knows him and wants to bring him to Fleetwood, but Fleetwood narrowly avoided relegation to League 2 and only stayed up because of goal difference. They'll likely be in a relegation scrap again next season and Brown is inexperienced plus he strikes me as someone who'll be a Neil Lennon 2.0, and that's the Bolton Neil Lennon rather than his first stint as Celtic manager.

Aberdeen interested in Scales which isn't a surprise as Goodwin has always looked towards some Irish players. Would be regular first team football for him and could see Jamie McGrath at Aberdeen too as he'll want first team football to get his place back in the Ireland squad.

They've got interest too in Connor Ronan but supposedly Hearts are likely to beat them to Ronan if he ends back up in Scotland. Hearts are guaranteed European football next season as they'll be in the Europa League playoffs so either way will be in the group stages of Europa or Conference League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We used to get four points from our group rivals.

Used to put away the weaker teams too

Oh I have - you think attack penetrating - you must be thinking Ogbene runs?

But what I mean is dangerous passes that test the opposition. Still nowhere to be seen despite the manager exoling possession football. It is not proper possession football. Which worries opponents. It is safety first stuff backways and sidewards. Back to the same craic from when Ireland played Finland, Bulgaria, Luxembourg, Wales etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Looks like Dunnie isn't on the Kenny train. Good to see this from someone who knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not a coincidence that the highs of the Charlton and McCarthy mk.1 eras came because of the resources at their disposal. So, get cracking, FAI academies, and if a mad billionaire wants to pump in a load of money, I'd suggest putting it into domestic clubs.

But the only resources at their disposable were some very good players either born in Ireland and trained in England or born in the UK with Irish eligibility and trained in England.

No amount of FAI academies is going to be able to replace the training they can get abroad.

Still had two years remaining on his last contract. Fans are delighted with the news as they rate him highly and are hoping he goes straight into the starting XI when fit again.

Is back running on grass so should be ready to go for pre season, and can hopefully get a good season of playing time behind him and get back into the Ireland team.

Unfortunately Idah doesn't look like being back anytime soon and might miss pre season. Fans still rate him highly and hope Smith looks at partnering Pukki and Idah as they were playing well together before his injury.

Big concern being he's had two knee injuries and missed 48 games in the last two seasons. The one comment from a Norwich fan that sums up Idah's career so far, "I always feel like “this is his breakout season” and then he’s injured".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

They can still go abroad to undergo the process of going from academy starlet to full-fledged professional player. Without a credible domestic scene, it stands to reason that this step would be necessary anyway. Whatever kind of thing is being done within countries of a similar population size at the youth level, like in Croatia, in Denmark, the Netherlands, to produce good young players is what's going to need to happen here. And if that's impossible, then we're f*cked for ever being a team who can regularly qualify for things. But maybe the Euros and WC will eventually expand to the point where it's nearly harder not to qualify for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The reason Croatia, Denmark etc can be successful is because their FAs can generate income to invest.

I've said this loads of times here and elsewhere, the FAI just don't have the revenue streams.

There are lots and lots of soccer fans in this country, but because they spend the vast amount of their money on following foreign teams and leagues they are useless to the FAI.

The GAA can build facilitate because they have local organizations and buy-in, fundraises, sponsors, lotto draws etc etc

The IRFU can build facilitate because private schools do most of the player development, and because it's a sport favoured by the wealth they can have a lot of wealth sponsors and backers.

Like the FAI the above two also get government support.

But the FAI are frigged, because your typical Irish soccer fan is likely to be spending their disposable income on a foreign club team shirt, tickets to their local GAA team games or the local lotto, and drinking down the pub for a six nations game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well, then, it's time for Irish soccer fans to rethink their allegiances and adjust spending habits accordingly. It's never made any sense to support, say, Man City, if you don't live there or are from that area.

Unfortunately the money needed to grow the domestic game would be astronomical. Soccer in this country is treated as a hobby rather than a professional career choice. Barry Maguire when at Limerick did an interview and was amazed that 9/10 year olds trained more than 16/17/18 year olds here. The age where our lads would normally move away to get their first taste of professional training.

It's why you'll see lads choose rugby or gaa at 16 if they're also very good at that sport because domestically they'll gain more financially playing either sport.

Big loss for us and feel for Travers that he'll likely won't play in any of the games still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Worrying trend of back injuries for Bazunu and omobamidele. Hope it is nothing long term.

I keep reading comments along these lines, yet I can only think of the Hungary game where Kelleher has looked up to the level Bazunu has for Ireland.

Bazunu has been excellent for us. Exudes confidence and it seems to feed its way through the team. Kelleher hasn't had that effect yet from what I've seen.

Better distribution of the ball and a better shot stopper. And that short stopper comment isn't a dig at Kelleher because of the goal the other day.

Any talk about would he wouldn't he about X keeper saving shots is redundant because the only thing we know for certain is that shot wouldn't have happened if we didn't fail to close the player down. Like we also didn't do in other games we conceded in and were blessed with one of the best saves I've ever seen with Bazunu against Luxembourg away.

And it is hard to disagree with anything Dunne says. Fairly obvious where problems are with Ireland tactically. It has been seen so often now under Kenny. No point in repeating them as even the casual watcher would have twigged them at this stage.

And it is also obvious where Ireland’s strengths are. But Kenny is not willing to play to Ireland’s strengths on the basis of his philosophy’. So ends up playing to Ireland’s weaknesses.

The worrying thing is the likes of Dunne has no axe to grind with the FAI. He does not have a go at players or the Irish team because of some perceived vendetta. He is honest and calls a spade a spade. He wants Ireland to do well, and you can see it hurts him to tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

I listened back to the Sunday Papers Podcast and they definitely did question him and some of his selections. They didnt call for his head but they analyse the game and where he may have gotten selections wrong.

You also keep harping on about Kenny "Philosophy". Can you define what you mean and how he should change what they are currently trying to do?

• Advertisement

Football in Ireland shot itself in the foot in the 1950s:1960s when crowds were big in the domestic game. Gaelic football was struggling in the capital. Rugby was very amateur.

But the difference was those leading GAA and Rugby had business acumen. Planning foresight not short term stuff. Organised. Can’t remember the name of the program.

But it was said in one about the history of FAI/LOI was run at the time by people who were not very bright educated/business wise. And they were unable to capitalise on club footballs popularity at the time. The fella was almost embarrassed admitting it. With nearly a year in his eye, at a chance lost.

And how has that worked out for us over the last 10 years? The only way forward for Irish players is acadamies here and the LOI. The best will then natuarally go abroad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dunne has been banging the anti Kenny drum since day 1.

Im interested in hearing where you think Irelands Strenghts are?

Dunne has had it out for Kenny from day 1, just like i suspect he was one who didnt give Kerr a chance as he didnt come from the UK.

I was thinking they could let English teams or others set up academies in Ireland. And the key is give lads a route back to LOI, or football in lower level England or Europe. African countries do it.

• Advertisement

Move the ball more directly fast variation (not hoofing it for the sake of it) aerial ability playing for set pieces. Duffy’s noggin. Fast players breaking on to quick ball. Fight, heart, closing down etc.

It is definitely NOT midfield technical possession play. There is no midfielder good enough to be that fulcrum. Someone who demands the ball makes one twos - forward passes. Byrne did it once v Bulgaria for a cameo. And was hailed as the saviour. Yet Kenny obvious thought - not good enough to last a 90?

English team have had acadamies/links with Irish clubs for year. They just dont care enough.

I don’t think so. That logic smacks of shooting the messenger. He is just being an honest former pro. Like the way he played. Understands the game of football.

If Kenny did well and Dunne saw progress he would say so. Even an eejit like me can see same mistakes tactically etc. So is a fella like done supposed to lie about what he sees?

I think Kenny has gone more direct since the 1st nations league campaign. I see the main problem as all the players we now have and how they play with their clubs is they all try play ball on the ground and a passing game. As a collective we dont have a 10 or another midfielder ( not Hendrick) who can dictate things or pick out a forward pass.

Kenny may not turn out to be successful as a manager but i think they way he is trying to play will be. Our biggest problem long term is we are lacking players and especially creative players who play in midfield. We are stacked in goal, good young defenders coming through and many young forwards with lots of potential but no midfielders catching the eye at the moment.

I like Jack Byrne and i think he could do a job for Ireland but he has also a free role with Shams and not sure he has the discipline to play at international football.

Our set pieces of late have been very poor and maybe thats a lag issue from Barry leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have one ticket in Block 114 for Ukraine game for €25.

Also three tickets for 21s today for free.

PM if interested in any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Irish soccer shouldn’t be damned to be small time (which is what it is) forever coz it didn’t have bright people over it in the 19 bloody 50s

Nah, Dunne is backing up Robbie keane, his friend, who Kenny shafted

How did Kenny shaft Keane? Kenny made it part of his contract that he could pick his own staff. The FAI agreed. Robbie was a legend of a player for Ireland, i dont see him doing anything in coaching.

Sure Mick didnt even want him as part of his staff.

Interesting that Crawford has made a few changes with Kilkenny and Bagan dropping out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement