Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depp/Heard Trial Verdict

Options

Comments

It's disgraceful to feel like you have to do it, it's twice as disgraceful to actually do it.

Fucking coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think by looking at my posts, it's safe to say I am very much on what would be considered the left side of politics. I'm completely on Depp's side. This case isn't about lefties or righties. It's about the truth, and the truth is that Depp was not the aggressor in that relationship.

Did he say some regretful things? Sure. Have I said worse about my own abusive family member, absolutely. Heck, I'm sure if you go far back enough in my messages to friends, I've even joked that I'd like to catapult my worse than useless thesis supervisor across the Atlantic.

Reacting to abuse is not abuse. The amount of Heard supporters after such a clear cut case is shocking. It's obvious to anyone with more than 2 brain cells that Heard lied her way through that trial and is a very manipulative person. Even when confronted with her lies, she continued to blatantly lie. She has not helped women domestic violence victims one bit. If anything, it's left them in a more precarious position of not being believed. She is a very dangerous woman and I really, really hope that the judge brings a perjury case against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Redditors are on the job, collecting the names of all the heretical celebs who supported Johnny.

These people are beyond sad

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭dbas

I suppose we can be grateful he posted the picture on the first place.

On instinct.....

He wouldn't have done that if the trial was still on.

A small reality check to these abuser worshippers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Far right toasters burn the left but leaves the right side beautifully white

Brown bread is immediately ejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Heard jumped on the metoo abuse violence victim bandwagon and it back fired

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

someone saying he was a juror did a tik tok and said things like "she was gaslighting like my ex" it's ridiculous to think a 7 person jury will get to the truth. what I mean by that is if you ran this trial 100 times Depp would lose some. Personally I think it was the right outcome but Depp had the right lawyers and jury and to some extent got lucky. It's terrifying that we're at this point because now after the verdict, it's got worse.

You have both extremes going crazy and the rest of us in the middle saying nothing.

It's not "straight" because rape is generally not about the instigators sexuality.

Grand. No need to continue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bewareofthedog

IMO I'd say the overwhelming majority of people who watched the trial believe Depp.

Amber Heard is such a blatant and obvious liar I struggle to think of any jury not siding with him, for e.g. she told the jury she had never met the Trailer park owner despite the fact he guided them around that camp for an hour and checked on them regularly throughout that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Plus everyone refuted her claims.

'Warner Bros fired me'- well, the Warner Bros chief Walter Hamada said no.

'I had my nose broken'- the photo shows a perfectly healthy nose.

'I was assaulted with a bottle'- the private nurse saw none of that.

'I donated the money to the chosen charities' - the charities testified they got nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think most right thinking people know who the abuser and abused were in this case. This is a long overdue high profile victory for domestic abuse against men which can take many forms from psychological to physical. Hopefully it encourages more men to come forward and challenge abusers.

I hate it when the Dailymail is on point...

Not because I disagree with the point made, on this occassion. But more that... well, it's the Daily Mail.

Yeah, that’s spot on. Pretty much my take on it.

It’s not that domestic physical abuse doesn’t happen all too often against women (although a too close older generation relation of mine used to physically abuse her truck driving husband - I know, sounds ridiculous) it doesn’t mean abuse claims have to be accepted without question. All too few abuse victims fear to come forward, Heard hasn’t helped that. That’s her real sin.

Domestic abuse happens all too often, some physical and others mental. Both are heinous.

Oh, I know plenty of men who were abused by women. One or two were put in hospital on certain occassions. (Wife hit the husband on the head with a wine bottle, which broke and put him hospital for a week. He's a relative).

Another was a handyman who left the wife after a number of years. I've seen one lesbian couple where one was an abusive, alcoholic person, who physically and mentally tortured her girlfriend. It culminated one night when the abusive one punched her girlfriend so hard, she literally fell on the ground, and her eye was swollen shut. (I'm not pointing this out as anti-lgbt stuff. I'm pointing this out as women being abusers). A very disturbing individual.

I've met many, many lgbt couples. Many who I hope went on to get married, or will in the future. Both gay and lesbian. This was a rare occurrence.

Edit: The handyman who left his wife did so because she was abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Unfortunately I think that some people believe that everything the Daily Mail writes is lies and the it only caters to right wing views. I think the trial is terrible for highlighting spousal abuse by wifes as the husband doesnt seem to be believed by alot of people even after winning the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The Guardian, perhaps no surprise, has another "opinion piece" on the trial today - "The US defamation trial has shown us how ‘transparency’ in court translates, which is into a festival of misogyny". They had another article a day or 2 ago pushing this "misogyny" angle.

Most people I've talked to, that watched any of the case, saw who lied, and who deserved a win.

Heard didn't set back women. She set back liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Not really - take a look at the articles in the Irish times and the Irish examiner today. All taking her side and saying she’s the victim.

Perhaps unsurprising. These publications think women have a monopoly on victimhood

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Are there really some Amber supporters, even now??

Having said that I've come across narcissistic personality disorders in my time, particularly in the work place. They do manage to draw in certain people who can't see through them. They often worship the ground the walk on. That's why they do really well in terms of promotion and have the confidence to go for higher level jobs etc. They can turn on the charm and fool a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Jesus, that is the biggest circle-jerking group ever. 🤢🤢🤢 I nearly commented but they look like the sort to dox so I chickened out. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The more I look at it, I can't see how Heard's 3 alleged defamatory statements were deemed to be false. If a statement is true or substantially true it can't be defamatory right? Depp is a 'wife beater' - see UK ruling.

“I spoke up against sexual violence — and faced our culture’s wrath. That has to change.”

“Then two years ago, I became a public figure representing domestic abuse, and I felt the full force of our culture’s wrath for women who speak out.”

“I had the rare vantage point of seeing, in real time, how institutions protect men accused of abuse.”

Not sure these types of disputes are best decided by juries. Can laypeople ever truly appreciate or understand the law enough, in these areas, to make a fair judgement. I prefer the way it was done in the UK where a judge rules and justifies the ruling.

What's the legal definition of a 'wife beater'? And is it the same definition in the US?

When was domestic abuse proven in the US?

What evidence did she give that she had a 'rare vantage point of seeing (in any time) how institutions protect men accused of abuse.' The Jury ruled, I think, she was referring to Johnny Depp here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Behind all the verbiage, the Guardian seems to be taking a findamentalist/dogmatic “woman can’t be abusive to men” approach to this.

One good thing which came out of this case was to show publicly that women can be abusive in relationships, and challenge those taboos and stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Except the UK ruling did not determine Depp is a wife beater. It determined the Sun was not accountable for the claims Heard made.

I thought it was also well known at this point that the judge was heavily bias towards the defendant.

You may have proven your own point that the layperson does not really understand enough but it's up to the lawyers of each side and the judge to show the jury what the law is and how it's applied in each case.

Edit to add: this is why Heard and her legal team committing perjury is such a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Also, the UK judge rejected Heard’s “characterisation” as a “gold-digger” saying that “her donation of the $ 7 million to charity is hardly the act one would expect of a gold-digger”.

But of course the donation was never made. And maybe it takes a proper trial to tease things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Depp had the right lawers alright. Lawyers who were able to prove Heard told lies during the trial.

If Heard didn't tell any lies, she wouldn't have been caught telling any lies.

Depp lost his libel case against the Sun newspaper over an article that called him a "wife beater".

Judge Mr Justice Nicol said the Sun had proved what was in the article to be "substantially true".

He found 12 of the 14 alleged incidents of domestic violence had occurred.

How is the appeal going I wonder?

I'm fully expecting so random boards poster, without access to all the facts put before the UK judge, to say they know better than the British legal system. In fact it has probably happened already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We’re the same “facts” not just used in this trial though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Different evidentiary rules in the US and UK. Also the UK judge attached a lot of weight to Heard’s testimony, in particular the part about her donating the 7 million divorce settlement to charity. She was subsequently found to have lied about this.

Advertisement