Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

"Employ our diversity and inclusion consultants now"

Except, from their limited perspective, an international workforce... as an international corporate entity it is a great thing.

The problem which such analysis is that they have no concern over the long-term impact to the host nations society. All that concerns them is the workforce available to them. So, in a limited context, they're not wrong.. but Westerners really need to start looking beyond these rather limited scenarios and consider what else is related.

And we really need a media that's willing to take such articles to task, and explore the downsides of what they claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the chance of a young person being able to buy a property is "slim-to-none", adding that "things have never been as bad".

he report found new mortgage customers need "significantly higher incomes" compared to the past, with First Time Buyer applicants earning up to €60,000 per annum now representing just 13 per cent of total approvals.

yet the country is being flooded with tens of thousands of extra people who have an automatic entitlement to housing which drives prices higher again.

Anybody hear about the BLM scandals, all those woke idiots donating their money like fools, we have the same problem here with NGO's

• Advertisement

When it comes to choosing between the law of the land, and Islamic law, Muslims will put their religious beliefs / law's first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

This masculinity was shaped 1'400 years ago in the hot desert's of Saudi Arabia, and in circumstances far removed from the modern world. Where men were the guardians, and women had little or no say in the lives' they lived. And in many Islamic Countrys, that has not changed.

Ahh... I'd say that women, throughout history, have often (not always) preferred to take a back seat, "allowing" others to take control, make the decisions, and bear the harsh consequences. TBH I suspect it's rather nice to be a protected entity in society.. which is something pretty common throughout most traditional cultures. It is what it is, and not something exclusive to Islam, even with the modern day angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Thats right, they wouldn’t have been allowed in their respective countries

~ let alone get together but Ireland really is Lurve Island isnt it? Though detractors may claim same place they used to shoot Dr. Moreau.

Now that's a modern family where it's clear who's doing the cooking and especially who's doing the eating :D

Some numbers on deportations over the last decade were released by McEntee's office in response to a question

https://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PQ-01-02-2022-596

Since 2012, 634 EU citizens were removed from the State, all of whom had criminal convictions. The yearly breakdown is as follows:

Since 2012, 1,012 non-EU citizens have had deportation orders enforced.

All those removed or deported during this period would have breached the Immigration Act or had more serious criminal convictions. The statistics are not maintained by my Department in a manner that would allow for further breakdown as requested by the Deputy. However, I can confirm that the five people deported in 2021 all had criminal convictions.

Yes, back 1400 years ago and even further back, it would have been pretty much the universal standard, but times change, and so do perceptions and attitudes in most cultures, but when it comes to women, Islam remains rooted in the past. Unfortunate but true.

Dunno why you're using 1400 years. Just go back 60 years and you'd find that in Ireland alone. Society and culture have both shifted in recent decades, but it's not long ago that society was more traditional, bound by taboos, etc.. and in spite of what feminists want to claim, women contributed to creating the very societies they were bound by. During the time of the suffragettes there were female only protest groups wanting to retain the old cultural norms, same with many women resisting in the 70s when the disapproval by feminists over housewives or "trophy" wife lifestyles was being pushed..

I appreciate what you're saying about Islam, but let's not forget what western society was really like less than 50/60 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Indeed and I always find it amusing and deeply ironic that people who harp on about womens rights and Islam would happily roll back many improvements of womens rights. In reality it views women as "property" and not autonomous rights holders at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

These stories are wonderfully entertaining, I really don't understand how someone is actually PAID to write them

So while my knowledge of Irish history is not that great I really doubt that 60 years ago women in Ireland were flogged or hanged or stoned for having sex outside of marriage, or not allowed to go out alone or killed in honour killings or having their genitalia mutilated. Yes, things were not as good as today but even then it wasn't anything like it is now in those places.

I doubt that they want to roll back women's rights, as it applies to them (most activists/advocates I've met regarding these things tend to be women)… however, they're likely to have convinced themselves that Muslim women are perfectly content within the roles that Islam provides. And many will be. Just as there will be many who won't. Social/cultural/religious conditioning is a factor, after all.

As for Islam, it's not quite as simple as that, as women can be protected and have rights within the family/marriage unit. There's a lot of variance within Islam depending on the local/geographical culture group, and the path to Islam that is being followed. I've known Muslim women who had very free lives, but it was granted to them by their husbands, rather than the rights that are protected within Irish law.

• Advertisement

Thats not a very nice comment, very little need for it

, Interesting that the only reason got export is breaking the law/convictions, noone for being able to support themselves. Welcome to welfare island.

Dacor are those above those with orders enforced, or those who were forceably deported (hope that makes sense)

Now you're jumping to extremes in reaction to my post, by introducing extra elements outside of the original discussion.

The things done to women that you mentioned are extremes.. they're not common practices within mainstream Islam, again usually being regional or geographical rather than commonplace throughout the entire religion.

But let's ignore the Mother and baby homes scandals, traditional domestic abuse, and I've heard stories from grandparents of women who "disappeared" because they were unfaithful, or even simply barren. How about forcing women to have 12 children, because our church forbade contraception, and the expectation that women should have children? We spend a lot of energy ignoring just how primitive our own cultures have been until quite recently.

My position on Islam is pretty clear. I don't like it as a religion, and I don't believe it should be allowed to establish itself in western nations. There are heaps of reasons to dislike Islam, but I prefer balanced discussion rather than the ranting and raving that often comes with such topics (no, I'm not saying you are ranting/raving, but it's a part of many such discussions).

There was no claim made that the way things were in Ireland were the same as those places that embrace the extreme end of Islam. In opposition to my previous post, you introduced that claim yourself.

The original discussion was about women being the property of men and unfortunately it includes the extremes I mentioned. But let's put it aside, for among other reasons this extremism is not what I find the most concerning, it's the moderates who are the real danger.

Indeed we don't need to go that far back to find times when in Europe the women were lesser citizens and the basic freedoms and equality of today was but a far dream, but also Europe had developed a culture that allowed them to fight for their rights. This is the main difference between us and them and this is why we need to be openly and brutally honest about the cultural differences.

The original discussion was about women being the property of men.

No it wasn't. You might want to scroll back a bit.

this is why we need to be openly and brutally honest about the cultural differences.

Which I don't disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Can’t believe she left her “thriving” pop career, couldn’t even make Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh right ok

The moderates are the real danger and its all about Us Versus Them.

So basically placing yourself on the extremist scale

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

6,152 applications received for the undocumented scheme by 30th May, its running until the end of July. A lot less than was predicted, I believe they expected in excess of 17k to be eligible

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40889423.html

McEntee should watch her words will all the once in a generation, one off nonsense, you know as soon as they've done this once it will be repeated again in a few years because all Irish parties now govern by who is loudest on twitter. Immigration laws be damned when a party wants to demonstrate how woke they are

They'll make up a lot of the numbers themselves, because there are those "automatically" included in the scheme, picked out by Justice themselves. The lucky thousands will be notified later (it was in the original set of press releases). There's a couple of stages involved in the plan..

Oh and say it as it really is. The illegals scheme. This undocumented crap is an attempt to make the whole idea more acceptable and normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And what I find deeply ironic is how someone of your beliefs will continously come out to defend islam.

This is the old mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance I just can't get my head around.

Do you know how long you would last in almost all islamic states if you started pushing some views I have seen you proffer?

BTW what women's rights do you think some of us want to roll back?

Please tell us where any of us said we want to roll back women's rights, gay rights, etc?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Swedish MEP Charlie Weimers MEP cautions Taoiseach Micheál Martin that the Irish government's amnesty for illegals exacerbates migration related problems in Europe and that he should look to Sweden to see the problems their amnesty created. 

He tells Martin that 500 million people worldwide would like to migrate to the EU and that migration pressure is mounting. The last thing Europe needs are increased pull factors. 

Martin responds that there is no amnesty for illegals in Ireland. All the govt is doing is 'regularising the undocumented'. That's totally different. 🤦‍♂️

The current blanket amnesty for illegals is also open to all asylum seekers in the system. The only thing 'undocumented' about many of them is they say they've lost their passport and consequently can't be deported after failing their asylum bid.

Non-Ukraine related asylum applications are set to reach 13,000 for 2022, up from 3,408 in 2019. Roderic O'Gorman has promised them all their own homes within four months of arrival.

https://twitter.com/weimers/status/1534518668079640577

Advertisement