Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Do you really think that these scum bags are fans or even actually watch Star Wars?

I don’t know what messages were sent to Ingram,Tran or Boyega but that they were about skin colour is enough to know. I didn’t know about Lloyd or Best until recently - that people ranted about the characters yes but not that those guys were personally

However, this kind of thing doesn’t match with the fans I see when streaming Star Wars Celebration over the last few years.

Cheering and hollering at the sight of Lucas or other actors. The dressing up. Etc.

I know some people are different in real life to how they behave online but I can’t imagine the folks at Celebration doing those hate messages.

Have Pascal, Morrison, Weathers, Wen or Esposito had this muck directed at them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't really have a problem with the characters or the acting. Just the storyline.

It's essentially a buddy movie. That but it's fine. It's this torturous trying to tie back to other stories.

Where did he claim that.

He just said it's poorly scripted. I agree with him. It's also been a common trait in these Star wars shows.

If people enjoy it and aren't distracted by it fine. Each to their own and all that. I really liked Kumail Nanjiani part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭corkie

Obi-Wan Kenobi head writer Joby Harold reveals that the Darth Vader village scene in episode 3 of the Disney+ series was originally even more extreme.

Harold insists that it was "a thousand percent the intention" for the audience to be scared of Vader in this scene. The writer even went on to say that "It was a lot more extreme, at one point," but "I got pulled back a little bit on that," likely due to how violent the character and the series is allowed to be.

So toned down for a younger audience?

I don't think every movies has to be Saw 5 to be for an adult audience.

• Advertisement

He claimed it in the original post that I quoted - and didn’t say “poorly scripted” in that post so don’t puts words in his mouth. He doesn’t like it and I wouldn’t either.

You are quite welcome to join a conversation, anyone is here of course, but you should read back on that conversation beforehand. Another person shouldn’t have to do the work for you.

Where is the “tortuous tying back to other stories”?

i haven’t seen any of that?

The scene was plenty violent and “extreme”.

Vader went beyond anything he did in the original films.

Am I welcome, jeez thanks forum police :)

Its my interpretation, and I don't care to change it, or slavishly quote line for line. You do the work you feel you need to, Padawan.

• Advertisement

The age ratings of the movies always wandered around. Which I thought slightly odd. Its not the only Franchise to do that though.

Epipode III is kinda dark in many ways. But then its Vaders story is dark/grim. Thats what Lucas turned the story into. I would have gone a diferent way, but here we are.

Thus far Obi seems ok. No series is perfect.

I wasn’t in not policing the forum. Just suggesting you actually educate yourself on a topic before getting in.

Your “interpretation” of the conversation? That says all that is needed to know about you I suppose.

Mod edit: infraction added

Post edited by pixelburp on

I don’t because it isn’t there.

As you admitted in that other other post you are not into what is true and what is false. You just make stuff up.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Christ, another thread that's getting derailed like the Moon Knight one....

Not by me. I'm done with that line of discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I have Spon Farmer on ignore this past month. Has made boards much more bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean Star Wars is for kids first, the family 2nd... ask Dave

Or George

“Remember to make these stories hopeful. Remember to give that to kids because they really need it.” - George Lucas to Dave Filoni

I knew about Star Wars but I was only about 7 or 8 when I first sat down and watched one of the films - the empire strikes back. It was at my aunts, I had to stay over alone while the family went through some ****. It has become a comfort film now, whenever I was moved around growing up I played the move while I unpacked. The rebels always had to be on the move

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "family friendly" moniker is always a bit of a trap as depending on what way you look at the thing it can seem deeply childish but adult at the same time. So both critics and supporters can find ample evidence to back up their points of view. Pixar are masters at this, their films frequently "about" adult (or at least, adolescent) themes while wrapped up in hinjinks the kiddos can enjoy.

Part of the perspective problem is that for a lot of us, we grew up with Star Wars so sometimes the expectation perhaps is that that franchise matured with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Kids thses days couldn't care less about Star Wars. Stranger Things has been proven to be more popular than a show dedicated to one of the most beloved SW characters ever. Stranger Things with all its gore is for kids and adults alike.

I watched the originals on release. I remember a younger cousin having nightmares about the carbonising scene with Han Solo. They were Family movies though.

When I watched the Phantom Menace and all the hype and merch on that release I felt it was mostly definitely more aimed at a younger audience. But revenge of the sith definitely isn't. Since then I'm never sure exactly who they are aimed at. Pg13 ?

Maybe my quibbles with OBI will even out as the show goes on. Ewan is normally a good bet.

Maybe, Stranger is definitely popular with with the 12ish age, mostly girls though from what I hear. Mando and Obi it's the boys of all ages at least in my own circle. Which might not be representative. No idea.

Are there any viewing demographics.

There are certainly darker, gorier things out there content wise but Star Wars isn't trying to be that, and never had tried to be that. It's not afraid to chop off someone's arm, head, or upper torso, commit genocide and whatnot, and the existence of something gorier, more violent or gritty that also happens to be popular, doesn't mean Star Wars has to change what it is to compete with that.

If the marvel movies are anything to go by the target age demo is from 25-40. I definitely think more adults than kids are watching kinobe

IMDb seems to agree with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Waow, what happened aha, 60 new posts. So i watched epi3 on friday...ahye i am done with this aha. I may still finish it and if I do, I will watch the last 3 episodes in one go (and with my fast forward button), couldn't care less anymore really. My official verdict for this show is 'OOF'.

Again, I don't think the actors/acting are necessarily bad at all - is just that what exactly they have been given to work with?

The biggest OOF moment for me is when Obiwan decided to leg it when he sees Vader...why??? You beat him many years ago lmao. This all ties in to the nonsense that Obiwan completely abandon any kind of Jedi training (or meditation whatever) for TEN goddamn years.

The 'battle of the century' that we all have been waiting for....just like that? It does seriously resemble to those 90s super sentai production happened at some random quarry etc (cheers Johnny's post in previous pages reminding me of that lmao). All these are just too familiar...like when we see Luke throw away his lightsaber in some other disney production SW thing...

Why and what exactly is the rationale to deconstruct (destroy) yet another beloved character just like that?? Who exactly is asking for this? 😂

I can ignore a million things wrong in this show/production but at this point this show is just depressing.

(We went on to watch the Clone wars cartoon (HD and in compilation) made by Genndy Tartakovsky - super awesome to see Anakin and Obiwan there oh god that really cheer us up. Highly recommend that. Especially back then they were mini series/short clips to promote RoTS and now they are in compilation and HD).

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

An absolute abomination of a show. Terrible scripts, terrible performances, terrible dialogue, terrible cinematography, terrible score.

A few observations -

1. That chase scene in episode 1 was the most stupid looking thing in any Star Wars movie yet. Utterly incredible how this 10 year old girl is evading everyone, the Benny Hill theme should have played over it.
    2. Speaking of Leia, her dialogue is absolutely hilarious - she speaks as if she is 30 years old, and every so often they'll throw in a line of dialogue to remind you she is a child - but the damage is done. Hearing a 10 year old psychoanalyse a boy was so cringe and completely immersion breaking.
    3. Reva - the character is terrible and the actress is terrible. Just a total mess.
    4. Obi Wan - turned into a bumbling coward who cannot do anything right.
    5. The parkour bit in episode 2 was genuinely absurd - she was actively losing ground by doing all these stupid moves - and for what? she didn't get anywhere near them
    6. Which brings me to another problem - the show never makes it clear where anybody is! We have no idea how far away Reva is from Obi Wan. When Obi Wan fights Vader he embarassingly shuffles off to a different area and we have no idea how far he went. Just a desert with no discernable features whatsoever and the way the whole thing is framed gives you absolutely no clue as to the geography of the place.
    7. People teleport at will.
    8. In episode 3 Obi Wan disposes of 5 troopers, and when 3 more arrive he's like - nope, can't handle that. And he gets down on the ground and surrenders?! What?!?
    9. The fight between the two was so utterly unbelievable that I cannot believe it made it to the final cut. Every single thing about it was an abomination.

Ewan is doing the best he can with what he has to work with, and Joel Edgerton was good, but other than that - holy f*ck this is utterly pathetic. Disney just going to keep sh*tting all over this franchise it seems, retroactively polluting every loved character.

It's a show designed for adults to watch with their kids and buy stuff afterward.

• Advertisement

I retract my comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's well established that Obi Wan, and the other Jedi that survived, basically cut themselves off from the Force in an attempt to survive, or simply because the shock of the events of Order 66 really messed them up.

Obi Wan hasn't been training for 10 years because he's been keeping a low profile, and frankly I am baffled by anyone who thinks that quick fight between Vader and Obi Wan was the big fight. It was episode 3 so they're hardly going to do the big battle so early. Meanwhile Vader has spent the last 10 years hunting down and murdering hundreds of trained Jedi. Right now, Vader is the better fighter.

They'll do the usual, Obi Wan and Vader will fight in E6 in the finale, with Obi Wan being more connected to the force and blah blah and it'll go well but not well enough for him to win.

There is so much wrong with this show, like Obi Wan destroying the pad on the gate in episode 3, instead of walking around it, or Reva's bizarrely long parkour session, but I think they're doing a good job of showing the damage done to Obi Wan since RotS

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Those messages are a tiny tiny % of Star Wars "fans", and do we really even know they are genuine ?

If Jussie Smollet did what he did, I wouldn't put anything past these people to stir controversy - they thrive on victimhood remember.

But assuming they are real, you will always get this no matter what, so why are star wars smearing fans when 99.99999999% haven't sent these messages ?

Her character is crap, her acting is crap, the canon is being breached.

The show is supposed to be about Obi Wan , it's not, he's a bit part ...

How do we know obi (and Jedi) cut themselves off from the force.

We know in one hope he still can use the force after a long time, so long he's almost forgotten his name. We in know Luke cuts himself off so they can't find him, but turns it on no problem.

I guess Obi will fill in these gaps.

That fence thing was so stupid. We were in stitches at that. But it made no sense to be out walking across across a land (visiting people) that had been cleared by the empire of people. We are not the droids you are looking for.

I'm not expecting answers. It's just full of this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

This not a terrible series or is it amazing, it's a 5 or 6 out of ten. A few things that they could have fixed-nobody having the ability to catch a little child of ten years old, the parkour thing, thought the grand inquisitor was cool but they killed him off too early, destroying the gate with the light saber when he could have just walked around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I do accept that plot point if cutting off from force is the only way to 'lay low'. But how do they explain the incompetency from Obiwan we have seen so far?

Like in epi3 he called 'Leia' when they are supposed to hide their identities when the stormtroppers, god it is so frustrating to see they butcher his character in every way possible - it was a good timing to use force persuasion or do whatever cool sh!t to resolve such a tricky situation. But nope - another rando character came out and saved the day. Overall Obiwan has been outsmarted (outran ahah) by this 10yo Leia in all 3 episodes. And things like I remember in epi2 he was asking stranger on the street for where to go ffs...

All these seriously ruined my moments on legacy SW stuff - like I can imagine what went through Yoda's mind now when he saw Luke in ROJ (fecking obiwan done sh!t on training on Luke)😂😂

It's like he had a breakdown and his personality changed. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it. Maybe the show will be him getting himself together back to his old self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the difference is purely psychological, and it's as simple as that. Obi-Wan's broken. As one would be if their entire World Order crumbled overnight, at the hands of what they had assumed was their friend and brother. A situation where they barely escaped with his life.

Only typing this having seen the first two episodes, but the man has been haunted and completely beaten down. Owen's put-down about Anakin was simple - and true. There's no fight left in Obi-Wan at all, and with that probably comes a misalignment with the Force, a "back to square one" where he can't access it 'cos he's in his own way.

Luke turned his back on the jedi to become a sulky crank after he defeated the Empire and liberated the universe. So when Obi Wan gets the same treatment all I see is more garbage tier writing.. Master yoda remained resilient and dedicated to the jedi so theres no excuse for this portrayal of obi wan😈

• Advertisement

Yoda didn't keep the Jedi code. He became a hermit, even by hermit standards, and lived pretending to be an utterly mad recluse on a planet somehow less hospitable than Tatoinne... til Like came along and shook him out of his own sense of ennui. Yoda gave up as well.

Obi-Wan made a mistake so bad it got children butchered, and his entire order destroyed. I think he has earned a little PTSD for the sake of a dramatic narrative. If he was quippy and kicking arse we'd be saying "where's the trauma?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Obi-wan never had much agency in the prequels. The mistake with Anakin wasn't even his mistake it was Qui-gon's. Even the decision to confront Anakin wasn't his, nor the decision to hide and train Luke - Yoda decided all that and Obi-wan went along with it as ordered, even though a lot of it contradicted the OT. He remains much the same in the show. Bail had to travel all the way to Tatooine to persuade him to go rescue Leia.

I saw that but it seems to be based on user reviews and not a more statistical approach. IMDB therefore isn’t capturing the under 13s

im not sure what you mean. Nobody has been smeared.

as for Reva I think it’s far too early to write off the character as flat, she’s been on screen for what, 10 minutes? At least finish the season imho

Except to be perfectly clear Obi Wan has neither defeated the empire nor liberated the universe. He’s a broken man with PTSD. Frankly, it looked like Darth Vader was just as disappointed that his old master had given up. Barely worth killing, you know?

If the prequels had a through-line, it was arguably that the Jedi Order had become complacent, arrogant and presumptive of their preeminence within the galaxy's pecking order. IIRC there was even a very fleeting line that their powers might have faded a little as well. Collectively, they all F'ed up royally really - including Obi-Wan. And while Qui'Gon was the one to force Anakin to become a trainee, Obi-Wan still spent the majority time with the padawan all the same. Where Anakin ended up was on Obi-Wan, even if he wasn't the best teacher for the job; understandably enough, hiding on Tatoinne Obi-Wan would have had a lot of time to consider where and when he might have trained Anakin poorly.

Can you explain what you mean by McGregor “doing the best he can with what he has to work with”?

Yiu seem to be suggesting that the show is beneath him and he had no choice but to accept the script.

Which is absolute rubbish.

He is an executive producer and was heavily involved in developing the story and had the power of script approval.

So McGregor isn’t burdened with a project he doesn’t want - this is the Kenobi story he wanted to tell and this is the show he wanted to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,978 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FFS he we go again!

And unfollows another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I find it strange that people think that the show seems to have ended on episode 3 "What was that fight?". That was episode 3 fight. That was a broken man, a man who had lost almost everything. A man who failed and (until recently, thought) killed is brother. A brother who murdered children and was responsible for the destruction of his whole world. Anything he didn't lose, he abandoned in order to protect the family of the brother he killed.

Then he sees his brother, more machine than man, casually slaughtering innocents. He hasn't picket up a sabre in 10 years. What, he's supposed to be leaping about as if he was fresh from the academy? Narratively ObiWan had to start low before hitting rock bottom. He will climb back a bit but remember, he was still a hermit, laying low as a crazy old man 8 years later. He will still be on Tattoine. Will still be wearing the same clothes and known by the same name, Ben Kenobi (Way to lay low, Obi-Wan :) )

Personally, I'm enjoying the show. Has it issues? Definitely. Does it deserve the hate? No (IMHO).

Honest question: I ask this: What did people want from this? 1/2 way through the show, what would people want to have happened at this point? Not the last episode. Not the last scene, 3 episodes into a 6 episode run. I'm genuinely curious.

Personally the "bait-and-switch" of Luke for Leia I didn't see coming but it does make sense as a way of getting Kenobi off-world (And a way of distancing Vader from Luke) - I assume they will break out some Mike Drop that Vader knew where Luke is. Which would also make sense. I would have expected Kenobi to have some allies by now (Possibly some Force-Aware kid who barely knows they have abilities). But that, yeah, he'd have hit rock bottom by now (Maybe bested by someone who shouldn't have had a chance with Kenobi at his prime).

• Advertisement
Advertisement