Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cousions

Options
  • 06-06-2022 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

hi

how are you? my father first cousin wife died lately but i was wondering what relation am i to the fathers first cousins children? i am not good at this.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

2nd cousin maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If they are the children of your father's 1st cousin then they are your 2nd cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Useful chart for confirming relations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

2nd cousin, it goes in generations.

2 siblings, when they have children, then the children are 1st cousins.

When children of the 2 siblings have kids they (kids) are 2nd cousins. And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Technically they are your dad's first cousins once removed as they are the children of his first cousin.

but you just add the 1+1 to give second cousin for your father's degree of relationship to them.

As you are one generation further away from that relationship I think they are your third cousins (1st cousins at two removes)

This is the way I had it explained to me (at a station mass in Kerry many decades ago).

I'd love to have a regular here clarify if I'm mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

There's a cousin calculator here which makes things very clear.

It ties in a lot better with what I was told than I had remembered too.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog/what-is-a-second-cousin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You are partly right.

Father's first cousin's children are his first cousins once removed and your second cousins.

You always add one to the nearest common ancestral couple:

2nd cousins stem from great-grandparents (when the descendants are the same generation)

3rd cousins stem from 2x great-grandparents, and so on.

The removes come in when the 2 people are not the same generation, but they work up and down.

EG: my mother's first cousin is my first cousin once removed, but so are the children of my own first cousins.

It's always easiest to bring it back to something everyone understands.

My great-grandfather's first cousin is very clear. It's much less clear if I say he was my first cousin 3 times removed, but it's the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭VirginiaB

Second cousins, as has been said. I find it easier to explain to people by saying our grandparents were siblings--two sisters or brothers, or a sister and a brother. People seem to understand that better. Most people seem to understand that if people's parents were siblings, the children are first cousins so saying grandparents means second cousins is usually not such a great leap.

It's the once, twice, etc removed that really throws people for a loop no matter how clearly I think I have explained it to them.

Advertisement