Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

How can you say they have failed if you don't know what the goal is?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Putin supporters literally know he is deeply corrupt and kleptocratic and don't even care - similar to the Trump and Johnson phenomenon. I've seen online discussions about his rumoured vast wealth and watched his fans (including many Russians) doing everything to deflect the conversation away.

Their love for Putin and his extremist / authoritarian ways overrides everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For certain posters this is not about Ukraine/Russia. It's about a handful of cherry-picked conflicts which they feel selectively emotive about. When I protested the Iraq war (the second one) I came across a not-too-small amount of people who felt the need to defend Saddam. Not because they particularly supported him, but because they saw him as the enemy of their enemy. They don't see countries as a series of different administrations, they see them in more simplistic terms, they personify them as people. They don't grasp the universal notion they can criticise both, that it's mutually exclusive.

This is because they see it in terms of "sides".

Which is what's happening in this thread with those who are indirectly "defending" Putin. They don't really support Putin, but in their fundamentalist views, they consider something "worse" is arrayed against him. Obviously they can't directly back the tyrant, so they can manifest it by acting the contrarian, or just by being pedantic about everything.

Anyway, back to Ukraine, I see that, interestingly, the Ukrainians were apparently not part of the negotiations about their own grain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,903 ✭✭✭✭josip

To people like putin who would do anything to hold onto power, other peoples lives are worthless and expendable, regardless of their nationality.

As to how long the conflict will last that is harder to call but given the support the Ukraine are receiving, which was absent from the previous conflicts putin got Russia involved in such as Georgia, is resulting in their ability to cost the Russians in both men and materials, it will remain essential for it to continue in order to bring an end to the conflict.

Hence why you have a increase in the cyber side of the conflict on social media etc from Russia to try and weaken support for Ukraine.

Why certain people fall for this and repeat it, well there are a number of reasons. But they are usually evident in other subjects that they get involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SomewhereInTheMiddle

Easy end to the war, Russia stops its aggression and goes back home

Oh, that is so true! However, let me to cite Oleksiy Arestovych - an adviser of Ukrainian president Zelensky:

A war is a too-sided process. If one of the parties does not want war, it simply does not happen.

What does it mean?

In short - if an idiot is waiving with weapon (including nuclear) in front of your nose, do whatever you can to avoid he would kill your people. Isn't it?

What did Zelensky? Did his military adviser ask him to prevent the war? Did Zelensky tried to negotiate before the war started?

No! The opposite - seems that Ukrainian government desperately wanted this war!

Hardly to believe, isn't it? But look at this official video with presidential adviser Arestovich, just before the war (please, turn on subtitle translation):

https://youtu.be/cNHVxPGZNGA?t=833

Host: Oleksiy, the Iskanders are in Belarus!

Arestovych: So what?

H: Black Sea!

A: So what? What are they threatening us with?

H: The death of people.

A: So what? They will have more deaths.

A: Of course, civilians - they are afraid of the prospect of being killed by rockets in residential buildings. But if we put on one side of the scale the hit of 50 missiles on residential buildings, and on the other side, getting rid of dependence on Russia, then the second one outweighs.

H: It's somehow very cynical, not European.

A: About the fall of missiles?

H: Yes.

A: I would like people to see behind the threat of a direct war, which seems like a nightmare to peaceful people - and only for the military that seems to be a real reason to finally get even in full - that Russia has no way out.

Arestovych is a military person. He didn't care about people. Their own business was more important than people's lives!

That brings me to a straightforward conclusion: neither side did care about the people. And they didn't care about them right now. They simply do their own business.

I'm not one to accuse people of being actual Russian bots, but jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,903 ✭✭✭✭josip

Zelensky wanted the war so much that Russia invaded Ukraine?

Are you saying that Russia were actually doing Ukraine a favour by going in for a bit of a murder and rape fest?

• Advertisement

One side doesn't want a war it doesn't happen.. Apart from the glaringly obvious, I suggest that you pick up a history book or two and you will find plenty of examples of how that statement is one of the stupidest things that I have read today, and I spent today going through the emails and files of someone in Meath who thinks that they are a king.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Bot tactics. Drown the discussion in reams of bullsh*t, endlessly dissect and argue minor points and, most importantly, provoke a reply from opponents that will get them banned, whilst they can claim they're only "asking questions".

I find these creatures fascinating, in many online discussions I have absolutely let fly with both barrels at them and nothing. They're psychopaths with no emotions. Everything is water off a duck's back to them. They very rarely lose their cool and even then it's calculated. I am extremely proud of the maybe 2-3 occasions where I got these yokes to complete lose their sh*t and go absolutely mental. But that is like trying to light a soggy lump of wood with matches. It rarely ever works.

And they seemingly have endless time to post massive walls of text all day long.

You can't wear them out and you can't make them lose their cool. They are like a dog that keeps barking for 8 hours straight.

Their aim is to frustrate the majority of followers who may read but never reply, so that they rob the thread of any oxygen and people will unfollow in frustration.

This is why one should never engage with that type of poster.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

You opinions expressed above are amoral, evil and wholly disgusting.

So, you believe Ukraine should simply have laid down arms on the first day of invasion and submitted to russian slavery.

As I said, completely disgusting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Strange mentality really: that the victim of invasion should just roll over and let the invader take what they want.

Hard to take someone's opinion as serious or considered when it amounts to "let them take your country over for the sake of 'peace'".

I suppose if Boris Johnson falls on his head and declares wwar with the Republic, we should just let the British forces drive down O'Connell because "peace" is important. So important you guys. And ... lemme see, Bertie Ahern was bent as a 9 bob note, and Justin Barrett the Nazi exists, so really it's our own fault for not getting our house in order. Oh and Shannon Airport, therefore we're pawns of "The West".

Yes, this is a salty post completely based in whataboutery, but the parallels are apt here, when the argument is this limp. Ukraine should know its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,469 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You know what they call a war when only one side fights? A massacre.

We've already seen the fate of Ukranian citizens in the hands of Russian solders - war crimes and atrocities.

Russia need to be stopped and can only be stopped with military force.

This beings me to a straightforward conclusion. Your posts have no credibility.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

To be honest I'm shocked a bit by your reaction guys. You're saying I'm a bot because I've shared the official video and I cited not my own words that "A war is a two-sided process"... Probably my own comment was redundant. Anyway.

And even though I could be banned, let me share my discourse here:

• I'm Russian-speaking, not Russian nor Ukrainian, have friends on both "sides". I have a family, kids. I strongly believe and I see that there are much more commonalities between Russians and Ukrainians than differences. TBH I don't see the difference at all, but some of them find it. Okay.
    • If you think I'm a bot - just drop my own comments on the linked video. It was posted 10 Feb 2022, 14 days before the war: watch the cited fragment, maybe you would do your own conclusions.
    • What would I think (and what my friends from Ukraine thought when they saw this video - but you can distrust me, sure): I don't want this war, and these cynics proclaim their interests and don't care about my life, my family. About my specific own life - not the entire country. Obviously they're counting people in numbers, not in lives. Exactly just like fkn Putin does. I didn't come up with an idea to be included into NATO/EU/whatever: I have my family, and have my job, so I just want to live and work, and I don't want to be directed to the war. I want to keep my family safe. So - I need to run away from the country! Now! -- And that's what many of Ukrainians tried to do in short time - long queues at the Poland border. Men were not allowed to leave country since the war began (which is expected of course), before that moment some families managed to escape. But seems that most merely didn't believe the war could actually begin. They stayed and hoped that everything would be okay. I don't know how many people thought like this, but pretty sure - a lot. Most of Ukrainians didn't expect this war as a reality and didn't want it.
    • Again, you can distrust me, but I have Ukrainian colleagues here in Ireland: since the war began - nobody has dropped their jobs and families here to go for the war. They have their own families - they're not crazy. And although they love Ukraine, but it was clear enough - you'll be serving interests of whoever, but not your own.
    • I'm not saying Ukraine had to surrender when Putin has invaded - it would be too late. But I do remember that this arrogant man warned Ukraine's government many times and much-much ahead before the real actions: he wanted something. Keep me honest - Putin offered Ukraine to become military independent country like Switzerland or Ireland. So this is my own opinion, but having family there I would prefer to stay safe in current type of country, or to become (actually keep!) to be dependant on Russia like Ireland depends on UK now - but I'd prefer THIS (OMG such a scary dependency on Russia!), rather than to be killed or to lose my family.
    • But. Nobody from Ukrainian gov asked my opinion if I want to join this NATO/EU etc, if I want this war. They simply said: "I'm a cowboy - I'll jump over this cliff!" But did anyone asked the horse? What I can see in the video mentioned above: they simply convinced the people that war is good, that "We will win". So did they have an option to prevent this war? IDK - it's up to your judgement.

I don't expect your understanding too much. If I'd be banned - I don't care - go ahead. That would be sad, and would flag me that Irish people are probably not yet ready for alternative reality. We will just consume US shale gas at exorbitant prices, honestly believing that this is because of evil Russians only.

"Irish people are probably not yet ready for alternative reality"

You can bet your sweet life that Irish people are definitely not, and will not in future, be ready for any alternative reality.

Let's be clear: there is but one singular reality, the truth.

That reality appears foreign to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Putin offered yanukovich a man that was totally and utterly rejected by Ukrainians.

You can’t be seriously comparing the relationship between Ireland and U.K. to that of Russia and Ukraine. Maybe in the 19th century they were similar. But we rejected that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

On rereading SITM's incomprehensible waffle three times I still can't quite make out what point he's trying to make. If it's that only two people can make a war...in a sense that is correct, in that there is no war-defined as armed conflict between states-if one side doesn't resist. However one side is perfectly capable of making an occupation, instituting a terror, committing massacres, deportations and perpetrating genocide. Maybe he isn't aware of the history of the Baltic States and eastern Poland in 1940. They did not resist the Soviet occupation and surrendered without a fight. Their thanks? 15 000 thousand Latvians, thousands of Estonians and over 30 000 Lithuanians were deported to Siberia and Central Asia (the deportations resumed after the Soviets re-captured the Baltic states and continued until 1949) from which few returned. Many people in positions of influence and army officers were summarily executed and after the German invasion many hundreds of people detained in prisons across the Baltic states were evacuated only to be murdered nearby, some in the most atrocious circumstances after being tortured and mutilated. If this is what happens to those who surrender to the empire ruled from the Kremlin, then Ukraine is perfectly justified in fighting to the bitter end.

Post edited by ilkhanid on

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

Well maybe they shouldn't have bombed schools and houses in the Donbass for 8 years nor should they have allowed the Asov to run Mariupol like a criminal fiefdom either. When Nazi's start demanding to have Nuclear bombs on your doorstep you would probably become very nervous and want to do something about it.

I think if the British were bombing and discriminating against the people who considered themselves Irish for the last 8 years over our border I would imagine we would do something about it. Especially if the peace agreement that was signed with other EU countries (Minsk 2) as co signatories was simply ignored by the British and the shelling of our fellow countrymen recommenced. That's what Ukraine basically did with the Donbass. Think of Derry and Newry as Mariupol And Donetsk if that helps.

You all seem to think February 24th was Year Zero for this conflict. It wasn't. It was just another development of a larger conflict. Putin didn't just wake up one day and say "You know what? I think we should start to level Mariupol next week." To read some of your posts on here it seems some of you do think that's what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yep.

I was trying to assume poster is actually genuine... Given little I know of Crimea + its history, what he/she said about personal experiences there was at least possible I thought...Especially as I imagine those who are unhappy and very angry with the situation since 2014 (i.e. Russia annexing it from Ukraine in a unilateral land-grab) will likely have bugged out if they could do so, further increasing proportions who were "alright" with Russia taking it over as they did.

It was more the whole mentality reminded me of some Russians I knew in the past than him/her deliberately employing the Russian govt.'s propaganda tactics + tricks. I can possibly understand such an utter lack of trust + faith in government, media, politics and all the information you cannot personally verify as a coping or survival mechanism passed on from one generation to the next given the horrible governance Russia has suffered from.

It's kind of sad that (some) people like that who may come and live in a Western country can't flush out the poison and shake such fear and doubt but try to spread it to + infect others here, or retreat into pretty much "my country right or wrong" during events like this (Russia's invasion of Ukraine).

Putin made the decision to arm fringe separatists in Eastern Ukraine and fill it with Russian soldiers ("on holiday") and weaponry, creating a conflict that didn't exist before. A chess move to make sure Ukraine could never join NATO, and to ferment a conflict in East Ukraine to create instability. 8 years of hybrid war later he just got sick of the lack of results and fully invaded Ukraine.

It's as black/white as you can get from a leader obsessed with conquering Ukraine.

I'm just wondering how many smart words you know. Proper terminology, facts...

Could you please explain, why are you so interested in topic of Ukraine so that you know all of that, residing in Ireland? (seriously, I'm not trolling)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

A criminal fiefdom? Much like the Donbas then. This area and Luzhansk were always famous for a culture of gangsterism and corruption (no surprise that it's the home region of Yanukovich). The hoodlums running riot there took the Russian incursion as a chance to consolidate a mafia state. The Donbas had the highest level of criminal activity in all of Ukraine. Even after the separatists achieved their aims the struggles between criminal elements, often synonomous with separatists continued. When the separatist leader Zakharchenko was killed by a car bomb many speculated that he was assassinated by internal enemies after he lost a power struggle.

Post edited by ilkhanid on

What utter lies you write.

The criminal fiefdom is in Donbas, supported by Russia, a gang of criminals, who you remember, is responsible for the shooting down of a civilian airliner with the death of all on board, by Buk missiles, supplied by the Russian military to the breakaway region. They then lied about their responsibility for the crime, and continued to lie.

Criminal fiefdom indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,469 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Here we go again, with another pack of lies.

Continuously posts Russian propaganda lies without any substantiation.

Evidence offered for these outbursts of Russian propaganda about what was happening in Donbas between 2014 and 2022. Zero.

Evidence offered for Russian compliance with Minsk treaty. Zero.

Conveniently forgetting Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons in a treaty with Russia, which Russia violated by invading Crimea.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ye can try to rewrite history all ye want..there comes a point where you have to deal with reality..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Eight years of genocide in the Donbass" comes straight from Putin and the Kremlin propagandists. Macron said that in his last telephone conversation with Putin before the invasion, Putin was ranting angrily for what seemed hours about "genocide" in the Donbass region and that he couldn't get him off the subject.

• Advertisement

One characteristic of this propaganda technique jumps out, and is particularly apposite in this thread by poster bobowen:

"...the "shameless" approach to disseminating falsehoods and contradictory messages".

Bobowen has been flagged to moderators as a troll.

Advertisement