Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There is no rivalry between Mayo and Kildare, if you think anyone gives a toss about Newbridge or nowhere, you are very much mistaken, Mayo V Ross would have drawn twice the crowd.

Re 2004, ive already said my piece, easy draws happen, and anyway if there's one thing i learned during the pandemic its not to waste time arguing with idiots and their baseless conspiracy theories. Not that im calling you an idiot btw, im sure you are not but on this issue i'm done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd hazard a guess that Cork and Limerick arranged to flip a coin to see who gets to play at home. In 2010 the R4 Cork-Limerick qualifier was played in Limerick after they agreed to toss a coin for home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Whatever the case it's an awful pity that it worked out that Limerick had no championship games at home this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

If you draw Mayo against Roscommon though, who are you putting Clare against? Limerick are already playing Cork. Mayo & Kildare have played recently in controversial circumstances with some tabloid coverage.

Easy draws can happen but I don’t think we have ever seen one as ridiculously weak as the opposition Dublin faced in one of their only years in the qualifiers in 2004. I’ve asked you twice now to name a county who has received as easy a draw with 20 years of data but you can’t. As I said, I sure wish Cavan got even one year of Dublin’s “luck” in the last 20 years.

You can continue to call it “baseless” but I’d love to see an actual study of the draw over the last 20 years because I find it strange to say the least that people are often able to call these draws before they happen once the teams involved are confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

limerick and Cork tossed a coin for home advantage. Other games in Croke Park because of SKY sports pulling power it seems.

• Advertisement

The whole Kildare thing was media hype, i dont know one Mayo supporter who was bothered about it. Personally i think they were dead right. There is no particular Mayo Kildare rivalry however much the media might try and crank it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Just going back to this post, as a Cork man i'm always delighted when ye beat Kerry, and i was a fan of that early to mid noughties Tyrone team as well. Down are my favourite Ulster county, so i didn't want to see Tyrone go level with them on the role of honour.

I suppose i probably am bitter towards the current Tyrone team for last years all Ireland final, but Mayo have had more than enough chances to win the all Ireland at this stage. Mayo have played in thirteen all Ireland finals since 1989 and the lost eleven of them and drew the other two. I would prefer anyone but Kerry and Dublin to win the all Ireland really, but that probably ain't happening.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well I don't think the venue has anything to do with Sky.

As someone said on another thread they have regularly enough in the past gone to provincial grounds for double headers.

I would not be surprised if it was the teams that wanted Croke Park.

Mayo like playing there and would not miss the opportunity to play there in the round prior to the quarter finals.

Roscommon are the type of team that could see themselves benefiting from an outing in Croke Park at this stage, same goes for Clare.

And it's no bother for Kildare either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Obviously this is just how it rolls but kinda sucks for the likes of Derry who've beaten Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal to reach a quarter final while Cork only have to beat Limerick to make it to the same stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

As a kildare man I couldn't agree more, any of the Mayo fans that were there that day couldn't care less, the newbridge or nowhere thing was kildare vs gaa hq, not kildare vs mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

4 or 5 Ulster teams in the last 8 of the All Ireland each year if it wasn't for all this draw fixing? That's based on league form or representations is it? And because the league can't be fixed?

Cork have been in a league final more recently than any Ulster team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Are you forgetting we had to beat mighty Louth at home too?!

Cork and Limerick delighted with that draw. Each will fancy themselves.

Think though there is a serious recency bias in this thread when talking about Cork. Have been v poor the last few years but clearly not comparable to other lower half second division / third division teams. Probably have more senior footballers than any other county, have won an AI only 12 years ago (and won four leagues in a row then too I think) and have been in, by my calculations, 9 AI finals (more if you count replays) in the last 35 years, so in more than 1 in 4. Clearly potential to improve rapidly is far higher than for other counties.

Ridiculous point when there were no League finals in 2021 (and 2020 perhaps) and given Cork have spent the last few years in either Division 2 or 3. My own county Cavan were Div 1 in 17 and 19. Cork haven’t been up there since that.

Speaking of which, there were that many Ulster teams in Division 1 in 2021 that the League was like a mini Ulster championship for them with the geographical split.

You seem to be honing in on my comment re Mayo & Kildare recent rivalry and ignoring everything else. So I will ask two questions a third time:

1. If Mayo are playing Roscommon, which you want, and Limerick playing Cork makes more sense, who do you pit Clare against?
    2. You have 20 years of data. It’s widely accepted that in 2003 the GAA lost huge sums when the cash cow that was the Dubs went out early to Armagh. In 2004, they lost early again in Leinster and commercially the GAA needed them back in Croke Park. The qualifier draw they got had never been seen and has never been seen since: London, Leitrim & Longford. Your point that there was only “pure dross” in the draws has already been discounted so can you please, with 20 years of data, confirm a team that has received as easy a draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

This thread has taken a turn towards madness.

Doesn't matter who they pit Clare against.

They have already maximized the round by fixing it so you have Donegal v Armagh, Roscommon v Mayo and Cork v Limerick.

75% of the games provincial rivalries.

Oh, but wait, that's not what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Do the provincial champions have home advantage in the QFs? Or will they be neutral venues?

They are all in Croke Park as two double headers, Saturday and Sunday.

It's been that way since the second year of the qualifiers system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

In 2009 Kerry got Longford, Sligo and Antrim in their 3 qualifiers. 2 teams from division 4 and the other finished last in Divison 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Putting Kildare Mayo and Clare Roscommon in Croker is absolutely madness there'll be no one at it it'll be a horrible flat atmosphere in a 3/4 empty stadium pathetic as usual form GAA. On the games themselves Roscommon will have too much for Clare and Mayo will have Kildare beat by half time.

• Advertisement

But maybe Croke Park is what the players wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Just looking at the odds there:

Kerry 5/4

Dublin 15/8

Mayo 9/1

Galway 11/1

Derry 11/1

Derry & Galway seem like decent odds considering they're guaranteed not to meet Dublin/Kerry until the AIF - Galway in particular as they have a 50% chance of playing Cork/Limerick if both Mayo & Roscommon win their games at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

100%

Anybody in my group were fully behind kildare and their right to play the game in Newbridge. As Mayo fans we would have preferred the novelty of going there anyway.We had a guaranteed amount of tickets through the season tickets which was more than half the capacity of the ground so no issues there either.

The GAA PR guy Alan Milton has had some clangers over the years and is a genuinely dislikeable person but nothing compared to his "there could be blood in the streets " comment,ffs.I think he might have been watching Green Street or something the night before.

I had bought 10 extra tickets because it was going to be a sell out,I sold some and ended up giving some of them away (to kildare fans as everyone who travelled from Mayo was already sorted) I travelled home with 3 or 4 still in my pocket.

There was no blood in the streets.

It was a stunning day right at the end of the 2018 heatwave and Newbridge (where most of us had never been before was hopping) a real throwback day in GAA terms.It was a great game and played a in a good spirit,a famous day and even though we lost it was a privilege to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Good synopsis. From Mayo as well, and it was a great day out. Great weather, great atmosphere. It was a tense match.

Mayo lost that day cause they could go to the well no more. I cannot remember the specifics but I think they had a massive run of games, I think they had injuries mounting, and they had lost the All-Ireland the year before. The bodies just couldn't take any more. I remember looking at Keith Higgins near the end. He went to make a run, but the legs just didn't have it in them to do so.

Sorry, don't mean to take anything away from Kildare; they were really up for the match that day, and played well. They had a point to prove. But that point wasn't against Mayo - it was against the GAA hierarchy in general.

Looking forward to the match on Saturday. Should be fairly open game anyway. May end up being the highlight of a pretty dismal year so far for GAA football. Mayo need to keep about 5 of the main Kildare lads quiet - Flynn, Hyland, Feeley, Cribbin, Brophy etc. Assuming no injuries picked up last Saturday, I think Mayo have the defensive powers to do so with Mullen, Durkan, Keegan, O'Hora (if playing), Hession. Not sure about Stephen Coen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I agree that seeing Kerry or Dublin win isn't ideal but from a Mayo perspective both are far more palatable than Galway winning it outright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

To make things even more farcical the GAA have decided that the Kildare and Mayo minors are to play in Tullamore on Sunday the day after the seniors play Mayo in Croker on Saturday sweet ever loving jesus like you'd swear the GAA don't want people going to games!! A double header in Tullamore would have been perfect.

There is widespread anger down here, i am quite surprised tbh, and it's not just on social media, never heard anything like it before and this is from genuine fans, people are really pissed off, i think we could see one of the smallest Mayo crowds in years. Mayo chairman then came out and said Mayo fans love travelling to Croke Park and he expects a big crowd. Talk about delusion. I dont think i'll be going, it's not the price or anything like that, and i actually had a hotel room booked for €180 for the night as id attended going to the soccer match but ill stay home and watch both instead of sitting in a 3/4 souless empty stadium with zero atmosphere. It's going to be an embarrassment for the GAA, why oh why do they insisit on so many games in a half empty Croker

• Advertisement

As we know from the Cork 2022 and Kildare(Mayo qualifier) debacles is that County Boards can speak out about where the games are played and enact change.

There has been silence from all four so while most fans won't want to go to CP your County Boards aren't backing ye up at all.

Maybe those involved with clubs need to start getting onto their delegates and expressing disattisfaction.

Advertisement