Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

"Jaaaazus, Yeah could have killed somewan" 🤣🤣🤣 I'd have been more concerned about my gate and front door. Did the Gobshyte try to re start the bike whilst it was lying on top of him 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was he delivering pizza?😁

he's taking door to door deliveries to extremes

He did !! And beeped the horn for extra comedy value !! In my younger days taking drugs in the 90s we woke with a pony in the front room with the front door broken, but we had no access to scramblers in those days thankfully

• I’d love to learn the what the recruiting process was like at that care home in nordidden Ireland. Shocking stuff.

• Advertisement

Shocking number of Road Death's over the weekend, another today, I believe 😳

Just hearing about this now, utterly appalling. I fear we only know the half of what went on in places like this in the Republic.

• This site is non-stop scrolling to the top on me today, as I compose a post or tried to read another.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭DaTown

it's like a scene from the Royal family

• And what is CURRENTLY going on. All the bad people have not gone away, you know.

If you present a job availability where the recruit is tasked to look after people who are very disturbed by virtue of a medical condition, genetic condition, the effects of “unwellness”, or a disturbed upbringing, well it is not going to attract mild-mannered, shy types of people, who wouldn’t last a minute in such an environment. Of course the ideal candidate would be someone who is mature, non-narcissistic, assertive and understanding and kind, and sees that their role is a very important one in society, sone odd who can keep a cool head under some of the most unrewarding of circumstances, and at a public service type wage. Realistically, how many people are there out there like that?

The problem is that similarly disturbed and angry individuals, but with a lot more intelligence than those in their care, are attracted into the role. And even those who might start out with better intentions, but are flawed like most of us, will soon find out that one of the ways to cope is by shouting at the patients. They may even get to sort of half admire fellow staff members who start to physically manipulate patients into complying with instructions, and it all goes down into the abyss of continued institutional abuse.

That’s my read on it. Bullying type coping goes in in all types of organisations at the best of times, but much magnified when the environment is as chaotic as working with disturbed people. It really is like the lunatics running the asylum, so to speak, or like Mr Bean running Dublin Airport, people find themselves stuck in roles totally unsuited to them simply to pay the mortgage or get the pension.

Ongoing oversight, frequent inspections, and above all, support systems are needed for staff.

• Advertisement

I'm too hungover to read that caller

• Forgive me sociology essay mode 😁 I’m just doing what Joe must have done back in de day at Trinners.

You raise many good points Cawlur and one of the sad truths is, there are very long term employees who were hired into these settings under the radar when background checks didn't exist or indeed psychological profiling on candidates done .

There's definitely a vast improvement in how people are employed and indeed who's employed in these settings. There's also regular inspections etc but I often wonder are these inspections more focused on the institutions rather than who's running and working in them.

The sheer number of suspensions, staff involved, charges and potential further criminal charges is breathtaking, over 70 staff implicated in one institution is truly shocking.

• It’s the most flabbergasting number ever, just shows institutional throughout every layer, with possibly a moderate proportion of staff keeping their heads down and wondering what next to do. I’d say one of the newer staff formed a little circle and formed a strategy to report the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Why suddenly now the last two weeks there are many adds on RTE for liveline.?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Summer is quiet for advertising, have to fill that space somehow; and besides the hard-working presenters need a break-een too.

The premice of the Live Line advertising (On RTE's website mainly) seems to focusing on "Even More Ways to Talk to Joe" , yet more and more Joe only wants to Talk at, Talk down at people or ramble uncontrollably to himself, it's seems he's developed a similar challenge as that of his bowl movements a kind of Verbal Diarrhea, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Joe at one one of the St Annes concerts on Saturday night, complete with camp hat and camping chair. He hardly paid for the tickets, did he? Not RTE's style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Ceann Comhairle salary is higher than every other politician except the President

The Dáil speaker job comes with a €227,000 salary, more than €10,000 higher than that of the Taoiseach.

Will Joe have a slew of callers on about this today?

Why does Joe Tweet, rarely is there a positive response to anything he posts, this caught my Eye 😁

He's a glutton for punishment

Well considering MCD were one of the first to reply to his tweet, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I suspect Joe is going to go big on the Michaela McAreavy story today, or fairly soon

Curious NK Management not included in Joe's Tweets, perhaps an oversight, so to speak 🤔

• I see a LOT of people on their phones. One woman who didn’t yield at the sign in a car park and shot straight past me had a phone wedged to her head, not even talking on Bluetooth. I saw she wasn’t paying any attention to anything and I didn’t dare proceed. I would have booked my horn but I was afraid she would suddenly lose composure and run over someone in her effort to see where the beep came from.

Can someone post a picture of Lord Dollymount and his hat? I do be canned from viewing his tweets so to speak.

Delightful morning in the Midlands, after a dreary miserable weekend, Avoided Mountain Ireland, Brendan Courtney, Hair Byrne, might skip Dufferoon too 😉

• Advertisement

You mean have a Panic Attack Cawlur 😁, one presumes you mean Beeb your horn so to speak.

What intrigued me was the Go Slow day on Thursday which no one seem to be aware of and then assistant commissioner out yesterday doing a press conference on a bridge over pass. I wasn't out over the weekend but from what I've heard, not a garda to be seen Friday through Monday on the roads.

Advertisement