Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

So you are predicting that prices will go back to pre-covid prices with a 20% drop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No bank is giving a mortage to people who are taking out loans to fund a deposit. Where are you getting that notion from?

If you need a loan to cover a deposit then you aren't getting a mortage, simple as really.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

What is interesting (at least to me) is how the market in the US and Canada is adapting (downwards) to a limited number of IR rises. It doesn't look like the end of rises as well so if they can get away without much more of a downward correction they will probably be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hard to see if inflation takes off that house prices will fall. If inflation rises all commodity prices will go up.aa well.

Really interesting off the cuff conversation with a women in her I say late sixties on Thursday in a cafe. She was reflecting on buying a house nearly fifty years ago.

She was newly married. They were short 7-800 pounds to buy a 4-5k house back then. They were getting a council loan and were short that money. Her sister worked in a bank and advised them to move in with an uncle who lived by himself.

In 12 months they saved the 800 pounds but the house ( estate being build by a small builder) was gone up by a thousand and even though there wages had increased and the council loan had increased the gap had not closed. She went to her sister and asked her to arrange a personal loan for that amount over five years.

Her sister was reluctant as she taught it would put them under pressure, however this lady and her husband insisted.

They got the money off the bank and struggled a bit but paid it off over five years. It got easier as each year went by as there wages increased because of inflation. By the time they had paid it off the houses being build in the area were costing 10k

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Initial evidence in the US suggests a few IR rises has resulted in many drops in asking price (probably too early to tell if selling prices have to adapt similarly). If the FED are truly hell bent on getting inflation back to target it would appear that another 3 rises of 0.5% are baked in with some more a possibility further down the line. Now I don't ever expect the ECB to have the same zeal in taming inflation but interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

You are reminiscing on a time when we were at or close to peak interest rates. We are currently at floor level for interest rates.

Could that possibly reverse the price trajectory of those elusive houses.

if house prices dont fall and rates rise, theres not going to be much activity in the housing market

If house prices do fall and we have inflation of 5+% there will not be houses build. It's call a chicken and egg situation. Which comes first

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Important point is that the Fed/ECB actually raising rates isn’t the relevant point. It’s the market expectations of rate rises that drives investor behaviour and mortgage rates. The only people actually impacted by the formal act of the rate rising is people on trackers.

I think arguably the irish banks have been a little slow to react and I would expect more to follow ICS in raising mortgage rates in the weeks ahead. But the ECBs well flagged hike in July will make no difference unless they hike 50bps instead of 25bps.

US markets have already priced in a further 2% rise in interest rates by the end of this year. Assuming the fed does this, there’ll be no further impact on the market (if anything the certainty will boost sentiment). It’ll be only deviations from this expectation that’ll have an impact

Assuming the market prices assets correctly can be a costly error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 MoneyPrinterGoBuurrrr

I'm predicting at least a 20% drop by end of 2023/early 2024 and probably an additional 20-30% drop over a couple of years thereafter. Property doesn't crash as quickly as other asset classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MoneyPrinterGoBuurrrr

It's rather reckless and naive to assume there will be no impact in the market, not everything is priced in and you will see there is a lot more despair to come in the stock market. Despite the worst start to the year for the NASDAQ, a huge amount of them are still over priced. There's layoffs happening in tech which trickles into other areas of the economy and when the numbers are released that the US is indeed in recession you will see markets panic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

I’m not saying the market is perfectly priced and I have 0 idea if it’ll go up or down…but nobody does.

What I’m saying is that major interest rate rise are absolutely priced in and have been for many months now. The next fed rate rise won’t do anything (unless it’s more/less than expected) nor will the ECB in July, because they’ve been signposted in Neon lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

3rd world debt crisis not priced in, food shortage and spiraling food price for the next 3 to 4 years not priced in, I really believe the food shortage crisis thats comming will cause serious problems for society as a whole whatever about wall street.

Nice to see my favorite bank Deutsche bank in the **** again with DWS raided for greenwashing. Nothing more I'd love than to see them collapsing.

So your saying the Irish housing market is exposed to 3rd world debt…please explain the link because a very small % of European banks/financial institutions will have exposure as there investment mandates won’t allow it and the only ones that will have exposure is if they operate a branch in theses countries. And if they do they are probably targeting high net worth individuals or using the branch to hedge forex…..I just don’t see the link.

food shortages will impact countries that import most of there food as it will probably be priced in dollars and as the Dollar strengths they won’t be able to afford it. You also assume that consumers will pay higher prices and not find cheaper substitutes or change there eating habits which will happen as they get squeezed with higher interest rates.

As for wishing a bank to collapse over a simple scandal you haven’t been following banks for the past ten years where there has been scandal after scandal and massive fines..yet again I don’t see the link with the Irish housing market.

The expectation of interest rate rises is already priced into the market and has been since feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I suppose just on that, it was all through last year and even the start of this year where the ECB insisted it would not raise rates this year and was not confident they would even need to do it. Fast forward less than two months and that narrative had embarrassingly (though predictably) changed so the actions of the central banks can be a bit unpredictable and therefore markets may be subject to a larger repricing than expected.

Ukraine Russia has not even been baked into our quarterly inflation data as of yet which might surprise people as it means the inflation to date predates the war and we are still feeling the effects of government lockdowns.

People were pricing in the impact of the Russian invasion since January when you were saying that the governments were only using it as an excuse and no war would happen.

have a look at the oil and gas prices and you can clearly see when the risk was priced in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Every western Institution will be affected negatively if there is a 3rd world default crisis. Trickle down contagion

I'm not so sure about that, alot of the January bounce was from news that omicron variant of covid was believed to be mild. A week before invasion the price of brent hit a low of 90.12 on the 18/02/22. That's a price that could be justified on the basis of pent up demand from a much less covid affected world

I filled my tank on January 5th as it was looking like that the falls were not been fully passed on like they were in Dublin (greater turnover of stock)

I would argue that the war effect has not been fully priced in yet. There is alot of naivety out there and strategic reserves are foolishly been drawn down, that could be a very costly error.

Govt's should be bringing in measures that reduce demand not increase it like pushing/ incentivising public transport staggered work start times etc

Be careful what you wish for.

If that happens in a country with a housing shortage at present there will be some serious fundamental problems in the economy.

Unless we have a collapse of MNC's ( I am not saying it will not happen) and mass emigration ( where will they go to) we will have an issue with an issue with housing supply for at least the next ten years.

I think some on here must be in public service jobs and think any crash will not effect them or they have massive savings. In 2008-10 public servants taught the downturn would only effect them tax wise. In effect they took a 15ish% paycut. That can happen again.

The biggest issue at present is people fail to understand we cannot buy, build or crash our way out of the housing crisis. There is no magic wand to solve it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

priced in by whom is the question.. professional investors or the average joe soap consumer who doesnt know their arse from their elbow .. it is the residential property market not the stock market this thread is on about .. not sure how far ahead most consumers are factoring interest rate rises in..

meanwhile...

'Big Short' investor Michael Burry warns the US economy is on borrowed time — and consumers will blow through their savings in a matter of months

Burry contends consumers have been absolutely burning their covid savings to cope with inflation .. this luxury is soon about to end and the real s#it will hit the fan later this year for the US economy as savings expire..

This works both ways and many property owners and politicians don't seem to get this

Which do you think is more damaging to a country

House prices rising/falling by 20% in an 18 month period?

Rents rising by even more, as Elon musk said recessions are cleansing mechanisms and its been raining money on fools for the last decade. Consider that that money has been going in at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

There will likely be a dip then bounce in house prices if they do actually fall 20%, you'll have demand from the people who have been waiting to buy seeing value and investors looking for a new rental property knowing more people will be caught in the rent trap long term by a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Some interesting takeaways in the BPFI Housing Market Monitor - Q1 2022 released today.

Property prices nationally have more than doubled from their low in early 2013

Rate of increase in average property prices declining on a monthly basis since the middle of last year, which may reflect increasing housing supply

Pressures building up in relation to construction input prices could have a knock-on effect on housing prices

Existing property transactions dominate the housing market

New dwellings completed

New dwellings commenced

New dwelling planning permissions

Transaction prices

Rents

Property Transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

Nobody has a crystal ball into the future. I'd say your guess at a few people waiting in the wings will transpire after a certain drop, but that's a small number.

After that dead cat bounce?

Sustainability is the word and overall you can pack as many people into a country as possible but the money is simply going to run out.

It's all well and good asking whatever you like in price/rent, but if the money isn't there, it isn't there. Affordability is a separate thing from demand.

A sweeping glance of the country's landscape reveals madness. The banks leaving, the housing costs, government subsidies, dependency on MNC taxes, inflation, migration, unaffordability/staff shortages, the Ukrainian situation, energy. Utterly unsustainable, right now.

The money just won't be there soon. How that manifests into housing in particular, who can tell?

From looking at the planning applications it’s all apartments that will be coming online in Dublin in coming years and hardly any houses

Considering the price of them, you would need 2 high or 4 median wage occupants with no notions of having children so I guess they are "looking after" a niche

It's quite obvious to me how that impacts on housing and you have touched on it with your word, "unsustainable". All the events you have listed there are starting to paint a picture of tightened belts around the State and the individual.

The squeeze on housing during the last 2 years is the dead cat bounce; it was based on extremely flexible monetary policy, elevated savings deposits and paused supply (from government-mandated construction shutdown). I don't see any other factor in the increases of the last few years; and I see these factors disappearing.

Without a loosening of borrowing, therefore, it is likely for me that the resulting tightening of belts will ultimately result in less cash available to allocate to housing. Probably outside of the scope of this thread but I would be surprised if housing prices in 10 years are higher than they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Given the time lag with the data, the Q2 report will be quite telling in seeing the exact impact inflation is having on this also.

Anecdotely from comments on this thread and talking with other sources, it seems housing schemes starts are being impacted with projects being put on ice, while apartment schemes are progressing on regardless as majority of these are BTR as the numbers still stack up due to eye watering rents.

The private homeowner is increasingly becoming an endangered species in this country.

• Advertisement

80% of under 34s weren't homeowners in 2016; I would say that the majority of the voting population won't be homeowners in the next ten years. What does this mean?

Quite simply, a rising rental/housing market is not something that the majority of people want so will actively look to vote with their feet towards parties and policies that seek to quench an ever-rising property market. This is inevitable as I see it.

Advertisement