Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Hopefully with much better reliability. My Scenic was in the garage for 5 months, until the mechanic realised that yes the fuel pump was the problem, and the 3 replacements he had put in were all faulty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The jets may be cheaper ,but we've none of the infrastructure , pilots , crew , maintenance staff , radar .. it's starting from scratch ..

In saying that , planes -funnily enough can operate over land and water ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Sure they would…

Even leaving out all the necessary other bits to make use of them, second hand fighter jets…

LM want the service contract, a nice easy money rip off. FFS a basic private jet is causing issues due to reliability, but somehow jets that have been used far harder are somehow “cheap”? From memory other nations that have picked up Boneyard 16s have spent a lot more than the sticker price getting them into service even with existing capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

SC said on RTE radio this morning, he has finalised proposals for cabinet regarding a substantial increase in budgetary requirements, he hopes to have it passed in the next two weeks, he is in Helsinki on an engagement and was speaking with partners there. Political wording, so I assume he lead us to read between the lines. Rubber is touching road now on this LOA 3 by the sound it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I thought that buying a squadron of fast jets was firmly off the agenda for many years? We need them yesterday IMO.

• Advertisement

They have been but programmes for government are a bit like sales brochures, sounds great, hits every audience member but when you get the product the “landscape” changes deeming it redundant.

The difference between now and then is that the landscape now requires us actually invest in equipment which they should have done a long time ago and may have been cheaper too

Bring on some decent aircraft I say! Now!

Much as I agree it’s the only real option I can only see a great announcement with little delivery and even that will fall prey to the usual budgetary ambushes and the invocation of The Recession. They’ll sort out the pay and staffing issues, hype the PR machine and the media poodles into overdrive and stagger on. It’s the Irish way at this stage. I would dearly love to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I always thought a well-specced drone squadron would be better and cheaper. I am talking about the serious drones, not those we currently have. It's the way of the future in my opinion. 2nd hand jets, well, they would spend more time in maintenance than in the air.

Dan.

There has been nothing suggested in the language that “LoA 3” is on the cards, all the well flagged comments from Coveney and other Ministers point to “LoA 2”, and a reminder that even under 3 Fighters were still a long way behind everything else. LM is trying to add to its order book and get a nice easy service contract.

Post edited by sparky42 on

• Advertisement

Name me a drone that currently has the capabilities to get on station with either an unresponsive Bear or Air liner off the West Coast and name the price tag for them.

I’ve read the comms report is there another document? it was a radio show that I heard this from now….not a document, maybe confusion on your part. I was merely suggesting it could be LOA3 given the “substantial” increase in funding and recruit drive of the AC

Not being pedantic....but I think SC spoke about LO2 + more recently.

I agree that pay rises have to be top of the list, otherwise none of the other desirable items are going to happen. Who needs a navy with no crews or a squad of shiny new jets with no pilots or technicians or bomb proof hangars or radar to support em? Time to start on building them hangars now though, as it's not staff dependant. Ditto the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The TF30 were a very reliable bomber engine. The development path from the original use on the F6D thru the F111 and F14 uses morphed from an engine designed for sustained specific performance thru to a fighter engine that would be "flown" much more aggressively with throttle control response a vital part of the F14's usage versus the high speed cruise foreseen for the F111.

They weren't a great fighter engine and were very prone to compressor stalls. The F14B and the F14D were upgrades that swapped the TF30 for the F110 and by all knowledgeable accounts had a transformative effect in the airframe performance.

The original F14 required fairly precise and careful engine handling to exploit it's full performance. The F110 upgrade made it a far easier plane to fly and far more lethal.

The TLDR is, the F14A was massively hampered as a fighter by its engines. The upgrade to F110 engines undertaken transformed the aircraft's effectiveness but fell to budgetary concerns in the post Cold War environment.

Knock that one off the shopping list then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Everyone watching Top Gun this week then, yeah?

It's showing tonight in the officers mess in Baldonnel. Free popcorn and an airfix model Gripen to all attendees!

People are speculating, but the CoDF is a roadmap, and to get to LOA3, we must get to LOA2 first. If we skip LOA2 we won't have the staff to fly the planes and drive the ships, nobody to maintain them, nowhere to park them, and most importantly, no active security picture of Air or sea.

And there are "some in government parties" who think that €500m is still too much, and will be seeking their pound of flesh before signing off on it.

Just watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

All this fawning over the F-14 - It suffered from some well flagged issues.

Flying through your wingman's jet wash would invariably cause a double engine flame-out with the subsequent flat spin almost always non-recoverable.

There were timing issues with the ejection sequence with RIO's known to catch up with the canopy if they had to punch out in a hurry.

Definitely had the upper hand on the Mig-28 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some lease arrangement like below could be the cheapest and perhaps best solution?

Oh I understand regarding speculation but his wording is suggesting it is passed committee stage and the monetary amount has been debated by the committee already.

Well spotted, I overlooked the recommendation section on 10.9 “That consideration be given to a step up to LOA 2, as described in this report, in the short term pending the more detailed policy debate and decision required for higher levels of ambition”

it appears we are going that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given how low our spending is and the couple of dozen million a year increase we’ve seen for years, anything in the hundreds of millions is “substantial”, doesn’t mean we are jumping to 3 billion however. There is no way a certain party in Government (who shall remain nameless, but has a certain colour to it) would back such increases, hell getting 500 million off them even over the next 2-3 years is going to be a pain in the arse.

I really hope this is the option that they take huge fan of Saab But I can’t see them doing that option I would think a lease with Lockheed M and getting something from used from The Netherlands, Belgium or Norway. The Dutch sold 6 to darken aviation recently to make room for F35s.

It definitely has not gone to Committee yet. It is to go to Cabinet this month, after which it may or may not go to the House, presumably in the form of supplementary estimates, in order to bring the defence vote from €1bn to 1.5bn this year and the coming years. It may get a debate in the house, after which it will go to Committee stage for further discussion.

The real question will be what can we start NOW, given the utterly shambolic implementation of the DF White Paper to date (a document which should be assigned to the bin, lest any more time be wasted on it).

When that certain parties leader falls asleep again we could probably sneak a by him, Yeah I think in my misreading of the comms report I never seen the LOA 2 was the most plausible option first so it’s probably gonna be 500 or less. Simon suggested on this morning morning Ireland that it was substantial (my mistake), I was in the emergency services for almost 10 years substantial to me was going from a focus an i40 should have known really lol

My money is on Brugha being sacrificed for housing to give bicycle man a win in Rathmines. Yet again, selling the family silver for short term financial needs.

• Advertisement

Something similar happened to stepaside garda station, which then reopened. He should learn not to do such ridiculous moves.

Advertisement