Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So what. This it's happening in other places so its understanding is crap. What is happening in those has no bearing on what the DAA do.

The DAA made an absolute arse of last Sunday

Imagine an authority whose top echelons are on the pay scale that they are on,only thinking to making the basic surge mitigation changes that are now in place having been hauled in before a Dáil committee and separately 2 government ministers

It was a lack of doing their job

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Sorry just rereading what I wrote and it does look like I am blaming the people who showed up early. Was not my intention. As I say they were right to do so to be sure of making there flight. Made by the panic that issued due to the DAA ineptitude in the job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So no drama today???

Flying back home on Friday for Pats v Rovers which is now postponed so its just an excuse for a piss up. Flying back to UK Saturday afternoon. If things are still bad, I'd probably give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Sorry should have clarified, not my experience at airports that aren’t Dublin. Always found security personnel at Dublin Airport particularly unfriendly and downright aggressive at times compared to other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You mean you’ve never been shouted at to stay behind the white line by US border police at Shannon or in US?

After 40 yrs of regular travel I have realised that staff are the same in every airport, some nice, some not so nice. I’ve had good and back experiences in every airport I have visited more than once. In the US they just roar at you and you better do what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It's a sign of the times, all over the world.

I'd put the Dublin airport security staff well above average on the officious and unnecessarily obnoxious scale

French can be pretty bad too.

The most effective, professional and yet courteous airport security would be up in Scandinavia imo (Sweden, Denmark, Norway)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's just excusing crap service. Don't excuse it.

They can barely even do basic hygiene in Dublin atm. Toilets are disgusting

• Advertisement

Not excusing it, explaining it. You have to be a bit of a moron not to understand the disruption caused by Covid and the difficulties afterwards when people started travelling abroad again en masse. Difficulties being experienced worldwide apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Hows it lookin today ?

Dublin is far worse than other airports (outside of maybe Manchester which was always a car crash). I go through Heathrow frequently and it's nowhere near as bad as Dublin is. I at least get clean toilets in Heathrow, and the security queue has never been as long.

DAA management fcuked up and us customers are suffering for it. Only an idiot wouldn't think air traffic would rebound quickly after 18-24 months where most couldn't travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah they fcuked up. They should ahead recruited earlier and more aggressively. They'd risk looking foolish if there was another variant of concern this summer and travel was restricted again. Costs would have gone up and revenue would be down. Nobody would ahem called them clever of thst had happened even though it would have nlbeen out of their control. So there would have been risks to either decision.

I find airport staff pretty similar. I'd say it has mpre to do with whether the person is having a sh1t day than anything else. Dealing with the public all day can be grating. I try not to get thick about it.

Daughter flew back from Bristol last week, she said it was absolute bedlam, far worse than Dublin which she had flown out of a week earlier.

Tbh I think unless there was a serious variant that actually started to increase death rate, people were done with Covid and restrictions in general and travel would have been busy this summer.

That's how it turned out. But the decisions needed to be made before that had happened.

If you watched the covid threads from last September and October, posters were saying the same thing. Lots couldn't countenance the idea that anyone would accept restrictions over Christmas 2021 and lots thought very few people would get the third covid vaccination.

It's easy to say you knew it was over. People knew it was over last summer too. It's been over more times than its been on. Declared dead and arisen like Easter Jesus on crystal meth. Hindsight is great, but not terribly useful 6 or 8 months ago when the decisions needed to be made to recruit aggressively.

That's interesting. I flew out of Bristol 2 weeks ago and it was absolutely fine (the same weekend it all kicked off in dublin). Flew out of Newcastle the last 2 weekends and it was no bother either time. And dublin T2 was very quiet on Friday morning at about 6am. Got through in 10-15 mins in all 4 instances.

Theres no predicting how it will be. Presumably the staff are staff are all working very long hours to make it work. That isn't sustainable. Hope the recruitment is going well ahead of the summer rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Apologies if it has come up already, but has anyone heard how the DAA compensation mechanism is going for those that missed flights?

Think it has a lot to do with airlines cancelling flights due to staffing issues, TUI and easyJet had cancelled flights that day, she said she was actually scared with the atmosphere/hostility in the airport.

• Advertisement

Gatwick was fine flying out today. But then saw that easyJet had substantially cancelled today’s schedule. So hardly a surprise I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Is that the Heathrow that had 6 hour queues yesterday?

and the Heathrow where it was taking over 2 hours for baggage to get into the baggage hall at times?

UK government still does not give a toss. At least here all the stops were taken out to prevent a reoccurrence and it has worked.

Airlines have to take some blame too. All were saying in Jan, Feb, March and as late as april (BA/Aerlingus) that business would not recover to 2019 levels until 2024 and gave stockmarket predictions that this summer would be 20%+ below 2019 figures. Now it seems they will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I hope you are getting paid for your time posting to tell us how bad all other airports are and engaging in the old whataboutery every time issues are raised about Dublin.

Although if you are employee of DAA then there is a fair chance you are very well paid, of course assuming you aren't working in security. 🙄

Do you have any whatabout stories as to the hygiene of the bathroom facilities in other airports?

I am not allowed discuss …

It kinda helps to understand the reasons for it happening and that it is being replicated in many countries around the world. Otherwise people take the simplistic view that it is a uniquely Irish problem with an Irish solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

No I haven’t been shouted at by US security, although they are certainly obnoxious and slow. They do have arguably a more difficult job though, and have to do it for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Came back through Dublin Airport over the weekend. Guy at immigration must have been new - never had it taken so seriously (except for the US, I suppose..).

"Ooh, you're a lot hairier, this will be a challenge. Stand over here so I can see you better through the glass. Take off your glasses. Try to keep a straight face like in the photo and stop laughing so I can compare.."

But no delay once we got off the plane, and baggage was out on the carousel almost as quickly as I was through.

I mean I flew through Heathrow Terminal 2 yesterday and there was no 6 hour queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

So sad that you need to go down the pettiness route of "you must work for".

I mean it really shows phenomenal pettiness.

I just cut though the sensationalism claptrap.

There was an issue for 8 hours for one day. A back up plan should have been in place. Lessons were learnt.

The sh1te that it is causing "reputational damage" as you hear from mouthpieces such as sinn fein is just that - utter sh1te. If anything the fact that they created aback-up plan and implemented it within a few days unlike dozens of other airports that still have issues (avoid manchester at all costs) actually enhances the reputation as it has run smoothly ever since.

Yeah that's all pretty true. The plan publishing was delayed from Tuesday to Wednesday last week and I thought it meant they didn't have a plan and it would be a disaster last weekend. But in actual fact it went very well.

I presume the staff are working overtime to make it work and I hope they're being well compensated for their additional hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Its a scandal and Mr Ryan and the other transport minister are spectators. what are we like.

Are there any on-line reviews of Airports as be interesting to see what the tourist nthink of Dublin Airport experience.

Advertisement