Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Finding Grave

Options
  • 03-06-2022 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

Am wondering if any genealogy sleuths can help me find a grave. I am searching for Rebecca Jane Hunt (nee. Woods), died 28/6/1921 in Our Lady's Hospice, Harolds Cross, Dublin. I have found her death registered (see attached) but despite looking everywhere I have been unable to find where she was buried. I have tried the hospice, DC Trust, Internment.ie and also DCC's archives to no avail. I am presuming she was buried in Dublin as she was born and lived there all her life other than a brief visit to Surrey, UK, to visit her late husband's family in 1915. In other documents she uses Jane as her first name rather than Rebecca, her maiden name was Woods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Welcome to Boards sr-famresearch.

I did a search of the newspaper death notices and they've come up trumps.

Rebecca's death is listed in the Irish Independent of June 30th 1921 and it records that she was buried in Kilbarrack Cemetery.

The records for Kilbarrack are freely available at buried.fingal.ie but her surname has been incorrectly transcribed as Hurst.

https://buried.fingal.ie/wp-assets-bif/uploads/register-scans/Kilbarrack_1_087.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sr-famresearch

Hermy, I cannot thank you enough, I can see how it was transcribed as Hurst from the handwriting. I know the graveyard incredibly well and am surprised that is where Rebecca ended up, I'll be sure to make a visit this weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You're most welcome.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Hi OP,

I live next door to Kilbarrack Cemetery. Walked in today and checked the plot, (BA - 9). Whilst there was once a headstone, all that is left now is the foundation.

In addition to Rebecca, there is a Bridget Woods (died 1922) in the plot. I have registered the two of them on FindaGrave.com The Memorial ID's are 240401292 for Rebecca, and 240401378 for Bridget. You will find a couple of images of the plot there.

I have also released the management of the entries to FindaGrave. If you wish to, you should be able to take over the Management from them.

Rgds,

BW.

Edited to include link to site.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2270434/kilbarrack-cemetery

Post edited by Hermy on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sr-famresearch

Hi BW,

So sorry I'm just seeing this now and thank you for visiting. I too am very close to the cemetery and have been a few times since this post and yes just a foundation now, a man who was there at the same time as me said there originally would have been a wood cross in the hole which has now rotted, this backs up my theory that the grave had not been visited in decades, have never heard of a Bridget but have just posted looking for more information on her family, as Rebecca lived and died in the City Centre I had wondered what she was doing in Kilbarrack, maybe the family was originally out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement