Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

You have a great player like Henry. But to ascend to the Kilkenny managerial throne requires a certain political nous.

Henry seems to have made some poor choices and was ill prepared for the mental warfare Cody was going to bring. He didn't know whether to stay or go or which group of players to embrace. He didn't come across as strong and in control. Like a boy lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭benneca1

Lbn -

Have to say as a neutral With equal respect for Galway Kilkenny Cody and Shefflin it was Cody who went down in my estimation after that. His team won. Why do that ……..

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

John Kiely Brian Lohan did not shake hands after the munster final Kyle Hayes nearly knocked a young lad down after the match did not wont to sign autographs nothing about these two incidents anywhere yesterday. The stamping on Ritchie Reid Saturday night was the worst case of dirt i have seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

What is the background to the animosity between Kiely and Lohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Good question. We all know about Lohan and Fitz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

Silly comment to make after one bad match. Taking over Kilkenny now would be no easier, judging by some of the posts here in recent times. Let the season play out fully and see where it lands. Henry, wisely IMHO, hasn't come in and changed things immediately, throwing out all previous players and starting with a new panel. He has to take stock of what he has and adjust accordingly, as time moves on. Imagine if John Kiely threw in the towel after his first season with Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Oh agreed. But I just thought Henry looked all over the place. I couldn't see Sheedy, Kiely etc standing there motionless.

Cody's behaviour isn't good but he's definitely bossing their interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

On that last point

Limerick bowed out of the 2017 championship in Kiely's first year with a tame 0-17 to 0-20 defeat to Kilkenny (who stank up Thurles a week later with a lousy performance v Waterford). The game was poor and in fact very similar to Galway match last sat, but here's the astonishing thing, 13 players who played for Limerick that night are now mainstays for this great Limerick side. If you told me that night Limerick would develop into the team they have, I'd have laughed at you.

Henry will be bitterly disapointed but Galway still have a core of really good players and 5 AI winning minor teams coming on stream. A forward line still including Whelan, Mannion and Conor Cooney along with Lee, Sean Mc Donagh and Liam Collins would be a very strong one in 2023. Also remember Kilkenny when they are really dogged can make teams look worse than they are. Cork will need to thread very carefully v Galway (assuming they avoid defeat in Belfast next week)

What IS silly is how quick the Galway folk, including players, turn on the manager. Just have a read if the Galway thread after the draw with Wexford and you'll see what they thought of Shefflin. Shane O'Neill was very close to defeating the great Limerick team and look what happened him. To say nothing about the treatment of M Donoghue.

John Kiely is an out and out Limerick man, managing his own county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have it on fair good authority that Cody never goes to the opposite manager to shake hands regardless of the result. They all have come to him in the past. If that is true then Shefflin should have known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

Don't pay too much attention to the threads after one bad result. No-one I have spoken to since Saturday has singled out Shefflin as the fault for defeat, they've laid the blame fairly on the players. In mitigation, the defence played decently enough, the problem was in midfield and forwards, where a number of players, in great form up to this, just didn't show up. They're not the first, or even worst, side for this to happen to this season. There's a huge amount of goodwill and hope towards Shefflin within Galway hurling circles all the time.

Donoghue left after a disagreement with the CB. O'Neill had a third year on his contract available I think, so not sure why he stepped away. There were no great rumblings of discontent last year, even though he got a lot wrong in his second season, team-conditioning in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

"They all come to him"?😯

The man who consistently claims he "never makes it about himself" is sure going the wrong way about it.

Can we all agree that in almost every team sport opposing managers shake ends at the end of a game, and if a manager chooses to shy away from that custom, it's poor form?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Just on the match itself if we can return to it;

Our full back line of Butler, Lawlor and Tommy did well.

Great to se Huw back and having Butler beside him covers an amount of ground.

Tommy scares me a bit when he is coming out with the ball sometimes. He looks too casual sometimes.

Carey, Reid and Deegan worked better with more precise deliveries coming from them. The one thing we need to see a lot more of is low ball well out in front of Eoin Cody and Billy Ryan. Galway's full back line were on our heels to be fair but we need to exploit this far better.

Fogarty in the middle is a defensive midfielder but for me wasn't in the game enough at all.

TJ made some excellent catches and distribution and his frees were immaculate. Mossy did trojan work in full forward winning possession but he needs to open his eyes to leave or hand out the ball easier. If he had handed out the half goal chance he had it would have been a certain goal.

These are the small margins that will make or break us and give us a fighting chance v Clare if they come through Wexford. (no disrespect to Kerry)

Id like to see Billy Ryan express himself more and come looking for more ball from our half backs.

Mullen was better v Galway and hopefully he can continue to improve.

Leahy and Cian Kenny weren't influential. Leahy got 1 point and Kenny was scoreless.

Mossy only got 1 point and Eoin Cody was scoreless so the message here is to make sure we use these guys and get them scoring. Scoring 22 points v Clare or Limerick wont cut it. I think we need at least 2 if not 3 goals if we are to beat Clare or Limerick.

Mossy is a genuine workhorse and gives 100% to the cause but sometimes we need a little bit of guile inside the 21.

On Padraig Walsh he scored 1 point when he came in but looked a little sluggish. Maybe he is recovering from some kind of injury, Maybe someone has some info on this.

Wally should have scored a point when he came in and also could have been handed a ball out from Mossy which would have been a certain score.

All in all we got the win but have to tweak a lot before the semi final. Its a great position to be in to be fair and anything can happen from here on. I have memories from last years semi final when we pushed cork and brought them to extra time only to lose shape and go direct which eventually beat us. Hopefully we have learned and some signs from Saturday show that we might be starting to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Wonder have Gain anymore of the contaminated horsefeed left .May get a bag dropped into Langtons😲😲🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

As the journalist Declan Lynch once said about Alex Ferguson

" angry when loosing- even angrier when winning "

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

probably have to attribute some of the problems in the forward line to galways willingness to foul rather than let anything develop. Was some excellent defending on both sides that didn't help the scoreline as well. Lots of positives in the way they tried to move the ball and didn't go back to lumping it after a few of the mistakes were made. Reasonably optimistic for the next game after saturday, another dire low scoring game will do

Nice to have the month off now to work on things in training, could have done without the league semi the way the calendar is

It was refreshing to see the bones of a plan being utilised on Saturday. Smarter passing and deliveries, better puck out strategy and players running into position to take a pass. If they work on it over the next four weeks in training and stick with it on match day, we'd improve our chances dramatically. The players seemed happier in themselves, playing with more confidence and encouraging each other during the match and it showed at the final whistle in the way they celebrated.

We have the players. We had no plan, but things are looking up in that regard, at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Don't think there is any animosity ,just think there was a pitch invasion in Thurles, they were meant to have shook hands eventually.

• Advertisement

Let's see what they guy who raised it has to say. He seemed to be equating it to Cody-Shefflin.

Be bringing in the pre match handshake nonsense they have in the soccer if this keeps up

They already have a pre-match handshake in the GAA, as in soccer, where the players are appropriately lined up already, at the All Ireland final for example.

Should we go with the team that started the last day for the semi final?

If padraig is fully fit and going well I would have him in for Kenny, he's not physically ready yet. I know some people would like Blanchfield in but I dont think he's ready yet either. Both will hopefully nail down a place next year. Donnelly is better coming on later, Wally has been very inconsistent. Be happy enough with just the one change

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

I'd like to see Padraig and Wally in for Leahy and Kenny. If Padriag has been carrying a niggle, hopefully he's fully fit by July. Leahy was good for 2 points but drifted in and out of the last game, and the game seemed to pass Kenny by. Better as impact subs. I also can't understand how far down the pecking order Blanchfield has fallen.

I wonder will we see R Hogan make the panel at all, or is his day gone.....although I think I know the answer to that.

would love to see him back but he cant catch a break with injuries, was it hamstring again a couple weeks ago

Edit: he was on the bench for the waterford league game, 20th march, must have been soon after that

Post edited by usernamethatsnotinuse on

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Ah right, I wasn't aware of that. I certainly still a place for him if fully fit. He'd be a great addition to come on for the last 15 mins or so in a tight AI semi.

Some say P Walsh looks sluggish but I think he always carried himself that way. Pity we didn't return him to the backs after the experiment in the forwards didn't work come championship. Deegan could have gone to midfield or forwards. I agree, the game last Saturday passed Kenny by. The harsh yellow card didn't help. Think it was Coen who got Kenny around the head later and no card shown. Leahy will have something to offer as will B Ryan but need to up it hugely. I think a running type game would suit both. So, hopefully Cody continues with the plan shown last Saturday.

• Advertisement

yeah, he looks like he has a bit of a limp walking, been like that for a while. He has lost a bit of pace, I'm not too sure about moving him back, think I would have Delaney in ahead of him. Stick with him in the forwards and work on getting better ball in

Advertisement