Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Apologies you're right Kenny has managed 7 Nations league games in which he has managed ZERO wins and ONE goal truly magnificent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Travers

Festy Collins O’Shea McClean

Smallbone Cullen Knight

Ogbene Obafemi

Hogan

Hogan the target man, Ogbene and Obafemi playing off him. Festy and McClean with instructions to hit the byline or hit Oba/Og asap with the ball. No poncy passing around the back for the sake of it. Mixture of direct passing and getting forward quickly and long balls looking for the breaking ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Shows how poor our options are on the left but McClean should be starting ahead of Stevens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was surprised that Manning was dropped from the squad tbh. I would have had him as a starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

No I agree. But it's symptomatic of his poor judgment in my opinion.

Kenny got everything wrong on Saturday. You can't be losing to Armenia. His "Macedonia" was the defeat at home to Luxembourg. He's used his get out of jail free card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

How in the name of god would you pick that back 4?

He’s played there very effectively for a poor Derby team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's a wind up I assume given a number of players aren't even in the squad

It’s the non selection of Duffy or Egan that really makes no sense but yes I assume it’s a wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If Ukraine make changes and rest people it would suits. Not that they'll have a weaker starting XI, but the fresh legs will want to impress and play ball which should leave gaps to attack when we get the ball.

.........................Kelleher

..............Collins - Egan - O'Shea

Christie - Hendrick - Cullen - McClean

......Robinson - Obafemi - Knight

I'd go with that front three because I think we'd do better with Knight and Robinson playing narrower and allowing our WBs room out wide. You've also got the pace of Obafemi to make up for the pace you'd lose from Ogbene. Would like Obafemi to start because I think he's someone that would do better starting rather than being thrown in when we're chasing the game.

That was Duffy's first game since the last internationals and Kenny did talk about getting him in early for the training match as Duffy is someone that feeds off momentum from playing regularly. He looked rusty at the weekend and it's no surprise with the lack of games. Hopefully he does move if Brighton now view him as cover. We need him playing regularly to be at his best. Could leave him in to get those run of games but think we could do with one change in the back three.

If Obafemi was to start could make a good case for maybe giving Manning a start at LWB. If Christie starts then you'd have the two WBs used to playing with Obafemi, and it was Manning who put the ball on a plate for Ogbene against Lithuania who couldn't keep himself onside. Manning would be the better at crossing and picking out long passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

@Fandymo

Really wouldn’t fancy that defence to not get cut apart. Ebosele played primarily RM last season (Nathan Byrne was Derby’s nailed down starting right back - Festy started only 3 times at RB in the champ to cover Byrnes yellow card suspensions)… throw another CB in there and make him a wing back and it’s alright against a deep lying team, but making him a full back in a back 4 totally negates his strengths, and exposes his weaknesses.

Wouldn’t fancy Hogan as a target man at all either - he plays with a big strong strike partner at club level… being a lone back-to-goal ball winner is just not his thing.

And Smallbone… again, 2 hours and 20 minutes of senior football this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I’d love to go back over previous posts by some here looking for McClean to play given the slagging he’s got here.

Fandymos selection is unreal

Think McClean is another that does better when he starts rather than coming on and works better against teams that don't sit in defending.

Saw when he came on he whipped in a couple of crosses and if the strikers were 15ft tall they might have got to them. Had no room to try get in behind his man and just hit them in hard hoping for the best.

Should have gotten him on earlier, as well as Knight to add fresh legs and pretty sure Armenia scored just after both came on and then just sat in deep defending.

Manning isn't in the squad but may come in if Coleman has to drop out

He’s in the squad?, didn’t make the bench vs Armenia

You sure? Thought he was dropped with Festy and someone else

They didn’t make the match day squad but they are in the squad of players called up. Unless I’m going senile

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Duffy has done nothing wrong. Why would he dropped for this? Just because he’s an old fashioned type centre back?

Duffy should start. Still a threat for us from set pieces.

Yes Manning, Festy, Lenihan and Hogan just didn't make the match day squad. Festy might come back in with Coleman out but could see Ogbene starting and dropping back again if he needs to cover Christie. There's also the option of O'Shea covering RWB as he played their for West Brom when he broke into the team.

Both McClean and Stevens were carrying injuries coming into the training camp so could see Manning coming in for Stevens who played for over 70 mins the other day.

I'm gonna assume you read the line up and straight away replied "wHy Is DuFfY dRoPpEd", and didn't bother to read the anything else.

• Advertisement

Made a likely goal saving block in the second half, was competent in every thing else he done. Don’t see how the idea of dropping him would come up unless he’s fatigued.

He's also struggled with injuries this year and as mentioned hadn't played since the last internationals. Four games in ten days could be asking a bit, and I'd rather him being fit to start for Scotland than play another 90 mins and end up knackered after two games as he isn't match fit.

Smallbone is the only one not in the senior squad and could easily be called up

This nations League is over after the first game. What are we going to learn from Duffy and Egan that we don’t already know?

Literally Kennys only plus point is “blooding” young players. I do it and it’s blasphemy. The cultists are hilarious.

the nations league is over? With 1 game played and 5 remaining? Just sit Duffy and Egan out for the remainder and play youngsters. Have you any idea how ridiculous your opinions are?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yup. We're probably not going to win the group, but we don't want to get relegated either for various reasons.

Even second/third might be the difference between getting a Euro 24 playoff spot or not.

As ridiculous as those opinions are , David Connolly suggested on OTB that 20 mins in was the time to throw on Will keane to fulfill a Niall Quinn role for Ireland on Saturday because you could tell after 20 mins it “ wasn’t working”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Stephen Kenny's little finger would have more football knowledge than some people on here. He has the full pro licence ffs, he eats, drinks, sleeps football. He took over a complete basket case, throw in a bankrupt Football Association, no national league to speak of. A raft of League One and championship players.

Big Sam mentioned.....fcking laughable. Yes last Saturday was a phish poor performance but shoiit happens despite best plans.

Wow, he paid FIFA for a piece of paper. He must be up there with Cloughie and Fergie then. Shiite happens, but when it keeps happening, and the manager keeps doing the same things over and over, then questions have to be asked.

We could get the Armenian manager in for probs 1/3rd of what we’re paying Kenny. If he can outwit the Messiah he must be amazing.

• Advertisement

Well, no, it's not blasphemy - you're just making questionable points.

For justifying your call to start Ebosele at right back in a back 4, you said he; "played there very effectively for a poor Derby team.", which is just not the case - Nathan Byrne is Derby's right back, and starts nigh on every game there. Festy covered for 3 games at RB last season. He played primarily as a right mid, and can manage wing back. But right back in a back 4 does him no favours, and stops him playing his natural game. He got some great press this season, so I understand the desire to shoe-horn him in, but he's much better off being played in his own position further up the field where he's actually been playing and impressing this season.

Elsewhere, Hogan is just not a lone back-to-goal target man, and it'd be doing him a disservice to play him in that sort of role. Put him in a partnership - like he plays in at club level - and he might be an option.

It's great to give young players who are impressing some game time - we've seen plenty such players come in and do well. And Smallbone has tonnes of potential and with a bit of luck will have a career we can all look forward to - but what are you starting him on the back of? He's played 2 hours of football this year after bad cruciate and calf injuries - what is your reference point for why he should be starting for the senior team right now? Surely the decision for him to be in the U21's for this window has been justified by him finally getting a bit of time and space to impress at a (much) lower level. It's exactly the sort of stepping stone he needed to start finding his footing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whats the story with tickets lads? Seems to be a sellout looking on Ticketmaster, well apart from premium. Ive an East Stand ticket im looking to get rid of if anyone interested

I’d see him as a TAA type player. We aren’t exactly stacked at RB, Christie has had a few games and been poor, so why not try something different. I think Festy has the attributes to get up and down on that side and has decent delivery, so I’d give him a shot what’s the worst that could happen? We’ll more than likely lose to Ukraine anyway. Why did Pep play Lahm in DM for Bayern when he was probably one of the best LBs ever?

As for Hogan I never meant to just pump long balls up to him. I said to switch it up with Hogan as the focal point and let him pop balls off to the other two. Get balls into Obafemi and Ogbene and let them run at the defenders and cut it back for the other/Hogan. Give the defenders something to think about instead of pointless tapping about around midfield and defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Smallbone has barely played all year, the idea of playing him tomorrow after already playing 180 minutes since Friday is just nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Yes, lets give a player a first cap in a position hes not use to playing so even more people can slate Kenny and the team. Best idea ive heard yet to solve all our troubles.....

Kenny is not going to pick him. It was the team I’d pick when asked “Who would you go for tomorrow lads?”

Anyone not slating Kenny already is neck deep in the sand. We’ll play the same formation, maybe with a few of the deckchairs (players) rearranged. We’ll pass pointlessly and slowly around defence and midfield eventually launching it when put under pressure and repeat ad finitum. Ukraine will score a few, we’ll continue to pass. Anyone with a football brain will continue to state that Kenny is useless and his way of playing is pointless. Those without a football brain will point to our possession stats and completed passes and believe we are the second coming of Peps Barcelona, if only Kenny is given “more time”™️

• Advertisement

Travers

Collins Duffy Egan

Festy Cullen abh knight manning

Obafemi Robinson

Id like to see Ebolese. Anyone but hendrick. He is truly pointless.

I had zero time for Hendrick a year ago, but in fairness he's been at the heart of a lot of the better aspects of our performances over the past 9 months. Been hugely improved in an Ireland shirt.

With his lack of game time more recently though, would be up for someone else in midfield beside Cullen and Knight alright, either Browne or Molumby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Derby County takeover has collapsed, again. Player wages for May are unpaid. Knight needs to get out of this clown club, surely if they're unable to pay him that's breach of contract and he can walk?

Me. I’m even more grassroots than Kenny, as an LSL manager. So give me €200k a year (that’s a saving of €300k a year for the FAI) and jolly’s to watch matches and I’ll pick a team that can’t beat Luxembourg, Armenia, Qatar, Bulgaria or Finland.

Make sure I get 25+ games though, you can’t put a losing mentality on a squad in less games than that. All I need is some time to turn it around. And if my backroom staff start abandoning ship, we’ll say it’s their character flaws that are to blame, definitely not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Let’s just hope he starts getting a few results. But to be perfectly clear on all of this: he absolutely needs some results. There are four games against Ukraine and Scotland, losing both on aggregate would be very disappointing. We will also expect a good win against Armenia at home.

All the excuses have been well worn. Time for him to produce the goods or walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Ukrainians will have taken quite a mental blow on Sunday. I think it’s a great time to have a crack at them. This is a winnable game and hopefully we get the three points with a positive performance.

Some talk that they were paid but not by the guy who was trying to buy the club so someone has probably just covered May's wages only.

Think when Limerick were at it they had to miss two months in a row of unpaid wages before players became free agents I think, not 100% sure and things could be different in UK. Either way I doubt Knight is sticking around in League 1 whatsoever. Think I read Derby fans talking about quotes from his recent presser talking about how he loves the club but needs to do what's best for his career

Hard to tell but probably wouldn't say so because we named five actual CBs. I'd say he was more or less brought as cover incase Stevens or McClean drop out as both came into camps with injuries. Have him around rather than at home on the standby list because other times he's been in the squad with both other LWBs fit we only named three or four actual CBs making him fifth choice.

A loss tonight will put Kenny under serious pressure after Saturday's debacle. Any goodwill he might have had after performances and results partially improved imploded after that. He had a campaign to iron things out I think we all accepted that to an extent. But it's not going to be acceptable to be out of a group again after two games.

We need to win at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bit dramatic, no?

Let's see where we finish in the Nations League competition.

Surprised Jeff Hendrick didn't get any blame already if things go poorly. Only one to actually make penetrative passes to get players in behind against Armenia but seems he's assumed the Glen Whelan role of "it's all your fault when bad things happen and sod anything positive that you may have contributed to".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement