Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SomewhereInTheMiddle

I've already explained several times, why am I here - I have friends and relatives in both Russia and Ukraine, although I'm not Russian. And I'm really emotional about all of that.

So, according to your words, civilised western world is repulsed by Russian culture.

Why do you think then civilised western world didn't pay such attention to the Syrian, Afghan, Iraq wars?

500.000 people died in Iraq. 500.000 in Syrian "civil" war (warmed up by well known western guys). 60.000 in Afghan.

1M people just in last 20 years! (or even less?)

Why we didn't see Iraq/Syrian/Afghan flags on the European streets and bus stops? Why nobody supported Iraq just like that? Because Western people are more important than Eastern? Or western people are repulsed by eastern culture too?..

I still haven't received any answers on this question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There were huge protests in Europe and the US over the war in Iraq, as the invasion was flagged up in advance. In Dublin alone, 100,000 people protested against the invasion in the hope of trying to stop it :

It's a complete myth (often repeated by the Putin propagandists) that various military interventions in the Middle East by western nations were hugely popular or not seen as deeply controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

Think you are mixing me up with someone else there my friend. I never said any of those things. The closest thing in your list to me would be when I stated that Kiev was a decoy attack and that it kept Ukrainian forces away from the South until Mariupol was cut off from the rest of the country. Everything else there is someone else's claims. You can go back and check.

Minsk 2 was signed by Ukraine and Russia with co signatories. It was considered by all parties at the talks as the best way forward for peace. Then, suddenly, in pure Boris Johnson U turn style, the Ukrainians led by Zelensky decided they wanted to negotiate a new agreement that would allow them to join NATO. This set the path for escalation. You can't sign an agreement and then years later suddenly say "No. that agreement isn't fair" just because you have neo cons from the states behind the scenes telling you to. Its an international agreement for gods sake.

And I think the Budapest memorandum was initially violated when the Far Right/CIA orchestrated coup in 2014 left the fate of Ethnic Russians in a precarious state to say the least. Crimea was annexed due to a breakdown in the Ukrainian Governmental Structures that up until that point had safeguarded the interests and culture of Ethnic Russians within Ukraine.

Well, forgive me my "whataboutery" approach. I'm not so educated in public media terms, so I can't manipulate with them professionally. You see - now I'm training with you, and eventually maybe... ;)

Anyway.

So, millions? Protesting? Maybe I really missed something, but don't remember "millions of pretesting". Maybe some hundreds of unknown people enough that they didn't fit into camera's objective? And we definitely didn't see Syrian flags on every stick that pops from the ground, on the bus stops, embassies of European countries etc.

But yeah, I should admit, Europe took Syrian refugees - that is true (although all we know, what price was paid by EU and how Germans were "happy" about that. Also, how many Syrians did you see in Ireland?).

Also of course I understand - you're talking about the European territory, so well it's really scary, sovereignty is under risk etc. Thanks for answering.

What about Iraq? (sorry:)

Why we stayed apart from Iraq when US militaries bombed them? Scary to argue with US?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I've edited my previous post, but it is still a pack of lies.

You continuously posts Russian propaganda lies without any substantiation.

Evidence offered for these outbursts of Russian propaganda about what was happening in Donbas between 2014 and 2022 - deliberate shelling of schools etc. Zero.

Do you accept Russian has some responsibility for the deaths of civilians in Donbas in the conflict between 2014-2022? Or are you assigning all responsibility to Ukraine?

Evidence offered for Russian compliance with Minsk treaties. Zero.

Russian was never in compliance with Minsk, it never withdrew its forces from the regions covered by the accord. It denied ever having military in the disputed regions, of course it would say that, it sent them there illegally in the firstplace.

Evidence of Ukranian violation of Budapest agreement. Zero.

Russia has done exactly what you accuse Ukraine of doing. Classic Russian propaganda lie. They violated an international agreement with Ukraine to respect Ukrainian sovereignty in return for Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The answer is I hate them. They are bastards and geeks

First they came for the geeks...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is WhatsApp banned in Russia? I've noticed a few times Telegram gets mentioned (which is Russian owned, right?) both here and across other Russian sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Whatsapp is almost totally user-to-user messaging, whereas telegram can be used for twitter like broadcasts.

Most local news and government officials in Ukraine and Russia post statements on it.

Yes owned by Pavel Durov however he is exiled to UAE afaik

• Advertisement

"You can't sign an agreement and then years later suddenly say "No. that agreement isn't fair"

It's beyond parody.

Ah good, bits of broken English come to the fore as you have to go off-script. "millions of pretesting" is a twofer, beautiful.

Can I ask where you live? I can't remember the last day (that I did more than go to the shop) that I haven't seen a Palestinian flag funny enough.

Also, here's a starting point for some research for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_February_2003_anti-war_protests Instead of denying they happened maybe you and your mates can try to pick out a sentence or two that you don't fully understand and use them to show the moon landing was faked.

"Evidence offered for these outbursts of Russian propaganda about what was happening in Donbas between 2014 and 2022 - deliberate shelling of schools etc. Zero."

Here is a report from the BBC. The attack happened within the city of Donetsk then held by the rebel militia's. The BBC refused to assign blame but I'm pretty sure the rebels didn't bomb their own schools with their own kids.

"Do you accept Russian has some responsibility for the deaths of civilians in Donbas in the conflict between 2014-2022? Or are you assigning all responsibility to Ukraine?"

I accept that the DPR/LPR forces were also responsible for civilian deaths during the last 8 years. Of the estimated 14,000 deaths, 6,500 LPR/DPR soldiers were killed along with 3,400 civilians. Considering the theatre of operations was in the middle of a majority Russian speaking area I think its safe to say the majority of these would not have been killed by the LPR/DPR forces as these were their own people. The remaining 4000 deaths were Ukrainian forces / militia's. Very few Pro Ukrainian civilians are listed as victims but I have no doubt there were many.

"Russian was never in compliance with Minsk, it never withdrew its forces from the regions covered by the accord."

Russia was never officially part of the war just as the US/UK weren't officially part of the war. Did they both provide training and weaponry to their proxies? No doubt both did. But that was not a part of the Minsk agreement. A ceasefire between the official active combatants (DPR/LPR & UAF) was attempted many times only to be broken by the Far Right militia's on the Ukrainian side who were always opposed to the agreement. They told Zelensky that they would never honor the agreement. When he realised they wouldn't he decided to abandon them completely. Here is an article on his attempt to implement Minsk by allowing elections in the Donbass. In it you will see the trouble he had with the Asov faction in implementing it.

"Evidence of Ukranian violation of Budapest agreement. Zero."

The 2014 coup and the ousting of the democratically elected President without a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So apparently the Turks want a 25% discount on Ukrainian grain as the middle man to get it out of Odessa. Talk about playing all sides and fleecing a country when it's being bombed to bits.

The more I see of these shiatty autocratic leaders the more I cherish our flawed but functional democracy.

So no actual evidence that Ukranian forces deliberately targeted a school.

The conflict was in a Russian speaking area, that says nothing of who was responsible. Many Russian speaking Ukranians want to stay Ukranian. Many Russian speaking Ukranians have been killed during Russia's illegal invasion and in war crimes.

Russia were in violation of Minsk which was signed by their ambassador. DPR-LPR contained Russian military after the agreement signed in clear violation. They never left. Ukraine complied with Minsk as much as they could do within their own power. Ukraine has implemented as much of Minsk as can reasonably be done while Russia still occupies its territory.

Earlier you accused Ukraine of violating Minsk by seeking NATO membership. You provided no evidence to support this. Ukraine did not sign any agreement precluding membership of NATO.

And nope, Ukraine have not violated the Budapest agreement. Russian interference with the President, turning him into a stooge was a violation of Ukranian sovereignty. And when the Ukranian people and parliament threw him out, as was their right, it had nothing to do with the Budapest agreement. What clause of the Budapest agreement have they violated?

We know who violated Budapest. Russia, by sending its soldiers into Ukranian territory in Crimea and Donbas.

Your posts are just exercises in Russian lies.

Russian military increasingly going for the Mad Max style

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

BIG statement from Simey, 3.5 months after Russia invaded.

Is it really that hard for you to understand that a country whose leadership is threatening us in Europe daily with nuclear Armageddon (and threaten world with starvation) and have started a full nazi invasion of a neutral country (they promised protect) is a bigger concern for us in Europe than shithole regimes in middle east or Africa??

As I said above - I understand this. But still - it is a hypocrisy. When there's some country oil interest in another middle east Africa, then UK/US/European militaries are growing there like mushrooms in the rain. Isn't it?

How do you feel about this genocidal war?

I do not like to cling to words, but when you're saying "genocidal" - do you mean what western media says? (like Ukrainians are raped by Russians, how Russians are stealing microwaves and kid toys?), or an alternative point of view which can be proven with real interviews of real people from Donbas? I'm not even referring to my own friends from Donbas and Luganskaya regions - you don't trust me, and that's understood. I could share interviews with Ukrainian civilians accessible in the Internet.

BTW earlier I shared a video of how many people in Melitopol (Luganskaya obl) are staying in the queue to get their Russian passport. And here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkaJePSs2I

But would you trust them? Or you'll still say it's a propaganda? Or finally would admit an inch of truth there? Well, then the only proof here would this: you'll see pretty soon how these regions will become a new part of Russian territory, attached to Russian economy system (Russian Ruble is already there).

So how do I feel about this genocidal war?

Seems I've already explained: it IS "genocidal". But I would put the blame for that "genocidal war" on all the parties of this process - on Russian gov, on Ukrainian gov and on the western world, including Europe.

Because as I stated before - Putin started this war, Ukrainian gov agreed to it, explaining to Ukrainians that war is Good, "we will win". Europe and the rest of the western world - support it.

And since Europe supports this Ukrainian regime, I'm afraid it will end up pretty ugly:

• big part of Ukraine will become part of Russia
    • the rest of Ukraine formally will become EU country (actually under Polish supervision)
    • Europe will pay war bills and buy US shale gas at exorbitant prices
    • thousands and thousands of deaths and ruined lives

That's how do I feel it. And that's what we'll see in the next months/years, I think.

Post edited by SomewhereInTheMiddle on

"The conflict was in a Russian speaking area, that says nothing of who was responsible. "

It was in a rebel held city. By your rationale here you would also have to be open to the possibility that the Bucha, Maternity Hospital & Mariupol theatre attacks were shelled by the Ukrainians. Are you willing to do that? Probably not I would wager.

"Earlier you accused Ukraine of violating Minsk by seeking NATO membership. You provided no evidence to support this."

This article appeared in the Wall Street journal but since its behind a paywall you can access it through this link:

https://www.realcleardefense.com/2022/03/05/the_two_blunders_that_caused_the_ukraine_war_820181.html

from the WSJ article:

In November 2021 "the U.S. and Ukraine signed a Charter on Strategic Partnership, which asserted America’s support for Kyiv’s right to pursue membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization."

Here is the actual agreement between the two countries:

https://www.state.gov/u-s-ukraine-charter-on-strategic-partnership/

It was this agreement more than anything that influenced the decision of Russia to invade as according to Robert Service in the WSJ article above:

"The pact made it likelier than ever that Ukraine would eventually join NATO—an intolerable prospect for Vladimir Putin. “It was the last straw,” Mr. Service says. Preparations immediately began for Russia’s so-called special military operation in Ukraine."

You keep calling me a liar and I keep supplying you with proof from western media sources which you refuse to believe.

It's obviously not genocidal in reality..

It's just emotive propaganda for the western audience..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Could you explain how on Earth you drew that from my post? I was talking about chess. A pawn is a chess piece.

What are you on about?

Utter lies.

We have seen Russian troops dont care about the lives of civilians in Ukraine of any ethnicity. They have targeted civilian refuges deliberately. No such proof is provided for Ukraine either in Donbas or current war for targeting schools or hospitals or refuges.

Where did Ukraine sign an agreement that they would not join NATO?

Where in the linked article does it state this? Cos it appears to be the obvious deflection tactic of a poster caught spreading fake news.

You alleged earlier in doing so they tore up an agreement. What agreement? Ukraine signed no such agreement or certainly you have provided zero proof of it. So it appears that was a lie.

You alleged Ukraine violated Budapest before Crimean invasion. That was a lie.

Russia violated Budapest. Ukraine did not. That is established.

Go back to your post where you put great stock in criticising countries for breaking agreements. Yep it is Russia who did those things. Yet no words of censure of Russia will come from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All of the claims about Russian people being victims of "genocide" in the Donbass become a bit hard to believe when you remember that the regime making the claims is a criminal and deeply corrupt one, which tells lies on an industrial scale (including to its own citizens), has a despot for a ruler and which has form for genocide itself.

Protests against Iraq were among the largest anti-war protests in history. In Putin's Russia, if you hold up a blank piece of paper you will almost certainly be arrested and could face years in prison.

There are air raid sirens going off over a European country, millions of refugees have been forced from their homes, global food and energy prices are hitting dangerous levels. The military forces of a totalitarian power are butchering European men, women and children on a daily basis. Their politicians are making fiery hate-filled speeches and threatening war on other countries. A regime using filtration camps and mobile crematoria. This isn't 1940, it's 2022.

It's so blatantly evil even the Russian bots and useful idiots can't support it directly, resorting to "I haven't made up my mind yet" and "Putin is bad but" acts.

Oh my dear Senate representative, if you're not a foreign bot, but a real European local, we'll feel your "Jesus Christ go easy on the vodka" in full growth this winter I'm afraid.

Did I call you "idiot", sir? Seems not. Why do you afford yourself this rudeness then?

Also, why do you want someone to take a black-or-white position? You can't live with your own mind? You can put everything in 2 baskets only?

Post edited by SomewhereInTheMiddle on

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

They've admitted to no less than a desire and a will to commit genocide out of their own mouths. When people promise things it's best to take them at their word. Medvedev-''While I am alive I will do everything to make them disappear''; ''Ukrainian children should be killed too because they will seek vengeance when they grow up'';''Perhaps two million of the Ukrainians are irredemable'' (and presumably must be dealt with accordingly...we can guess how);''The whole population is infected with nazism and must be re-educated. It may take twenty years''; ''We will have tribunals for all the politicians and journalists''; ''We shall have public hangings of the Ukrainians''; ''Ukraine isn't a real country...its not a real language''; ''Ukrainian nationalism is naziism by definition''; And don't forget the collaborator who fled Ukraine and now calls on Putin to use nuclear weapons on Ukraine. All of these statements from Russian TV personalities and public figures are a warrant for genocide. Before the Second World War people should have listened to what was being said and promised in publications like the Völkischer Beobachter and Der Stürmer.

But you see the likes of that rhetoric here on a daily basis..

They're not wiping out the civilian population..

These words have meanings that are important..

The excuse I've seen given is that it's "just rhetoric".

As that country is literally invading another and carrying out unspeakable crimes.

• Advertisement

First off, you don't even have a clue about Iraq wars protests in Ireland, yet still engage in whataboutery about them. Pretty big red flag as to your intellectual honesty.

By the same tortuous logic... was Poland 'genocidal' when it fought back against Nazi Germany? Despite not knowing how many people would still die if it fought? Was France not being 'genocidal' when it did surrender to Nazi Germany, despite as many French dying in Nazi camps and as slave labour as died in arms? Was Britain being genocidal when it fought on during the Blitz, as its cities were bombed?

I think it is safe to conclude, no they were not. Culpability for the genocide rests with those actively responsible for it, who will it into action. And all people still with functioning moral compasses will agree with me.

And wait, for it to be genocidal one side must be actively engaged in genocide. Because no, resisting an invasion does not make a country genocidal. So by your own twisted logic Russia is genocidal and are the ones actively responsible.

When you have to twist logic and distort language to make your case, as you have to to accuse Ukraine of being genocidal, it is proof positive it is false.

Your post is genocide denial. It is intellectually and morally bankrupt, you have descended into a sinkhole of moral depravity and falsehood and you can stay there. 

Advertisement