Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange order/Linfield FC

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭deezell

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

They were chanting their disgusting jeers whilst attending an orange order event, the entire orange order are sectarian. Trying to ignore that fact would be like trying to claim the KKK aren't racists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is like saying that the whole of Coalisland Athletic FC are sectarian because they were singing sectarian songs on a club bus, or the whole of the GAA is sectarian because they put up plaques to terrorists.

There is no doubt that there is a problem within the Orange Order with sectarianism, but the amount of stones being thrown around glasshouses here is ridiculous.

Didn't you call for them all to be fired from their jobs?

Did you call for the same for the Coalisland Athletic FC lads?

I'll just leave it there for your hypocrisy to be clear. So far as I can see, your position is that their sectarians are worse than our sectarians so that is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

No blanch it isn't like saying any of this pathetic whataboutery you are trying to spray. The Orange order is inherently sectarian, it is sectarian to its core. It was founded in 1795 during a time of extreme sectarian conflict, a masonic style society sworn to maintain the protestant ascendency in Ireland, the island of Ireland. It still adheres to the tenets of that backward age, and still adheres to them in the most vile sectarian manner. Adheres to All of it. It does not accept protestants as members unless they convert and follow the sectarian tenets, will not recognise protestants who are married to catholic people. Trying to equate any of that to sports clubs who adhere to none of these backward sectarian tenets is beyond laughable. Time to realise who and what your brethren are blanch, or else ask them to shut down their phones when they lounge about their drunken, sausage fest, $hithole sheds.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No I didn't call for anything blanch. That is more lies.

My position is (and it will be demonstrable in it's yearly expression soon) that it is much more prevalent in Unionism and Loyalism and that it predates and outdates the IRA.

Hate for Catholics (this incident shows that it is any Catholic) is sadly, constitutionally a part of being an Orangeman. Some of them don't hate but mostly that hate finds expression without anyone objecting or complaining.

You don't understand the definition of what it is to be sectarian.

Do Coalisland Athletic have any fundamental rules prohibiting membership of certain religions, same question for the GAA?

The orange order do, specifically the exclusion of Roman Catholics, and they've been known to expel members who have even attended a Catholic ceremony, eg weddings in a Catholic church, funerals, christening etc

You are on the road to nowhere here with this whataboutery and trying to paint a false narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

So prior to this incident you wouldn't call a no catholic, anti nationalist organisation sectarian?

The rest of your comments are unfounded fudging.

Can I ask why you are coming in here to defend the Orange Order as a whole? Because you aren't even just trying to keep it honest, you are making up claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭deezell

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck........

Seriously, Gaa clubs are modern family oriented sporting and hospitality venues. Did you see the state of that orange Hall? A decrepit wooden hut of a drinking den, hundreds of beer cans scattered along dirty trestles. A shebeen, like something out of the stone age, which about sums up the orange order ethos.

Yeah, I get it, their sectarians are worse than my sectarians.

Look at what you are arguing about.

A plague on both your houses.

• Advertisement

Never said that either. I said it is much more prevalent on the loalist/Unionist side.

You have sectarian partitionists too, but there are more sectarian loyalists/Unionists.

The evidence for both statements above will be presented to you over the coming months when thousands engage in it.

Have never met a sectarian partitionist. Perhaps you could point us towards an example.

'Partition' was established on the basis of a sectarian headcount blanch, didn't you know that? Therefore those who want to prolong it are inherently sectarian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Has it not sunk in yet with you that at this stage you are just mumbling this nonsense to yourself. Surely there's an orange lodge forum out there that you could post on that would have like minded contributors. Also if you're not a member already you could join a lodge, provided of course that you're not a Catholic and that you are a straight male( this of course is just window dressing so to speak as there are some very, shall we say, welcoming lodges out there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

your good self.

granted partitionists by nature are sectarian as the very thing they support is sectarian.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

There isn't a sectarian bone in my body.

I would love to know what kind of sectarian you think I am.

There is nothing sectarian in believing that the original division of this island was wrong, but that a solution 100 years later does not involve a complete reversal, but something new and different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You were literally just defending a sectarian organisation and are now claiming that you are not sectarian.

Does not compute.

Worth pointing out too, that the OO has an estimated NI membership of c. 30,000 (I can find no definite numbers since 2012), if it was that important to the rank and file Unionist, then it would be a much, much bigger organisation than it is. I think if ignored it will disappear within a generation, especially since a huge proportion of members are over 50.

In my search for the current total, I found this article, which may be of interest to some https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/07/11/the-orange-order-an-insiders-view/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

believing in a solution that equates to more partition, which is what you believe in and support dispite nobody wanting it, it being unable to work and being unaffordable, means one is sectarian because it is a very continuation of the sectarian partition of our island.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I am sure I remember you arguing that partition was legitimate.

• Advertisement

How about taking the thread topic for what it is without using it to further your own agenda? Especially considering the two sides here are the OO people on the video and the family of the dead woman. Absolutely nothing to do with any other group.

You speak ill of nationalist all the time. Just yesterday you referenced 'looking through drunken green spectacles'. You speak of Irish being a dead language when the Irish language act is discussed and when we discuss OO members mocking the murder of a woman, you have to attach it to nationalists.

And you use the standard disclaimer used by racists, 'not all' with your 'exclusionary nationalists' tripe. You are only short of telling us about your nationalist friend from work.

There is however, something inherently sectarian in defending the actions of a bitterly sectarian organisation such as the orange order.

You could have chosen to outright condemn what happened, but no, you had to get in a "themuns on the other side are bad too" dig.

And before you try and claim you weren't defending them, you did just that when you objected to anyone trying to label the whole orange community as sectarian, and to make matters worse you then tried to compare their actions with a football team you singled out, or the entire organisation of the GAA.

Advertisement