Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭rightmove

Doodah7 wrote: »

She is a journalist and a news presenter not a fashion model.

Which one is she trying to be though!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Doodah7 wrote: »
    What has what she wears got to do with anything? Do David McCullough's suits generate the same interest? No.

She is a journalist and a news presenter not a fashion model.

Then it would be nice if she acted like a news presenter and dressed accordingly.

Nothing wrong with McCullough that a hair cut wouldnt fix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Then it would be nice if she acted like a news presenter and dressed accordingly.

How should a female news presenter dress? Is there a dress code that they are meant to follow?

How should a female news presenter dress? Is there a dress code that they are meant to follow?

Well my only point of reference is watching other news channels and I would have thought that business attire, just like the men would be standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Nothing wrong with McCullough that a hair cut wouldnt fix!

It would take a lot more than a hair cut.

Well my only point of reference is watching other news channels and I would have thought that business attire, just like the men would be standard.

I don’t notice what other news women wear so that probably means you have a point.

I had always assumed the apparel is RTÉ property. Some of the stuff Sharon wears on the news can’t be what she wore going into work.

Maybe they are being told to “dress up”?

I don’t notice what other news women wear so that probably means you have a point.

I had always assumed the apparel is RTÉ property. Some of the stuff Sharon wears on the news can’t be what she wore going into work.

Maybe they are being told to “dress up”?

Honestly I don't know but I suppose I am consuming a lot of CNN these days and everybody, male and female looks well dressed. I am sure they have budgets for that.

I realize that not everybody will agree. I just thought it was a distraction that was taken away from the gravity of what yesterday was all about.

(says he who has hardly gotten dressed in a couple of weeks);)

Honestly I don't know but I suppose I am consuming a lot of CNN these days and everybody, male and female looks well dressed. I am sure they have budgets for that.

I realize that not everybody will agree. I just thought it was a distraction that was taken away from the gravity of what yesterday was all about.

(says he who has hardly gotten dressed in a couple of weeks);)

I agree with with what you say - it should “business attire”.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

What's with yer man McCullough and his lip smacking? Head wrecking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What's with yer man McCullough and his lip smacking? Head wrecking.

Wrecks my head too, that and the looking down and the eyebrow gymnastics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

Think David McCullough looks like he’s lost weight lately. I’m not a big fan of him presenting the news. I think Ray Kennedy would have been a better choice. He seems to present it mostly at the weekend. One thing I notice about Caitriona Perry (apart from her extensive wardrobe) is that she always tries to get the last word in at the end of every bulletin.

I must admit I felt sorry for Emma O’Kelly (Education Correspondent) today. She was walking through a school, following a cameraman whilst recording her package, in the style of an episode of the West Wing, where everyone’s marching around the White House, discussing something with Jed Bartlet.

I think she’s a good reporter, but whoever suggested she walk around and record her report ought to be reminded they’re not there to be “creative”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I must admit I felt sorry for Emma O’Kelly (Education Correspondent) today. She was walking through a school, following a cameraman whilst recording her package, in the style of an episode of the West Wing, where everyone’s marching around the White House, discussing something with Jed Bartlet.

I think she’s a good reporter, but whoever suggested she walk around and record her report ought to be reminded they’re not there to be “creative”.

It was a bit of a disaster... The camera operator couldn't keep the camera steady. I felt a bit sea sick watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Catriona is wearing zebra-coloured high heeled shoes for this evening's bulletin.

Agree, McCullough seems to want to speak through his eyebrows , or from under his eyebrows.

Completely lacks any kind of presence that Kennedy and folks like Dobbo and even Eileen Dunne have.

Bad mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

"Even Eileen Dunne" ???

Even for you Dude ...that's a bit low ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,613 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He often seems just bored with the whole thing to me.

Absolutely…just going thru the motions.

About as lively as a six day cow pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He definitely seems like he is just phoning it in. Though Id wonder why he left Prime Time for the 6.1, surely the easier number was Prime Time just two nights a week rather than a 6.1 schedule spread over 7 days

• Advertisement

Personally I feel he is not a good performer in front of camera, seems much more comfortable as an academic or something like that.

Doesnt inspire any gravitas., bit like poor John Murray.. just reading stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Agreed regarding McCullough. I enjoyed him on Prime Time. I'm guessing he was sick of the late evenings and wanted an earlier finish.

He looks like he has 0 interest in what he's doing.

I don't like Perry doing the news at all. I really dislike when there is a "feel good" segment and then the camera will go back to the studio and there is Perry and co smiling for a few seconds and then "over to Joe for the sports news" with a big smile on her face. It's similar to another poster saying she always wants the last word. She'll add a comment after Sean Whelans report from London etc. like "Well there's certainly a lot to work through in Downing St, thanks Sean". She wants to be seen as a personality rather than just a newsreader.

Ray Kennedy should be in the 6.1 slot. It's a travesty he's not. He is the stud of news reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Just been listening to RTE Six-One. I thought they had a new presenter, but it sounds like existing newsreader Brian Finn has been to elocution lessons.

His pronunciation of words is now markedly different. For example, Russia now sounds like 'Rasha', farmers are 'fawh-mers', sun is 'sahn', draft is 'drawft', global is 'gloh-bal', counterpart is 'cown-teh-pawht'.

Either he's trying to emulate that snooty former newsreader Anne Doyle, or he's gearing up for a move to BBC.

Great to hear a lad who makes an effort to speak properly.

Unlike a lot of scobies with their “Nooze’ and ‘munny’ and ‘Roosha’.

Kudos to the lad for making an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He sounds like he's auditioning (badly) for a part in 'The Crown'. A telephone voice on steroids. Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He's always used that very unnatural and forced accent. Very annoying to listen to.

• Advertisement

I would much rather listen to Brian Finn that some of the scones who giving the financial reports up to now.

Conor Brophy comes to mind……..

As an aside can I compliment the Traffic reporters on excellent diction, all these ‘rhyndabyte’ and ‘Nooze’ merchants are gone.

Was surprised that Sean Whelan went for the Washington job, iirc he is married with kids and it can be a tough gig. That said living in the States with an RTE funded credit card must have its perks. And then the switcheroo with Brian o'Donovan who now has some makey-uppey title like Work and Technology correspondent, he obviously wasnt willing to take Whelans position as the London correspondent so they created a position for him at home.

Will Goodbody was Work and Technology correspondent previously, not a new position.

Right, but Goodbody was made the Business correspondent in 2018, so who was the Work and Tech correspondent since then and before Brian o'Donovan? Did they have one? They had Ingrid Miley till she retired last year but her title was Industry and Employment corr. not Work and Technology as Donovan is now and as Goodbody was previously. Did that position remain empty from Goodbody leaving it in 2018 and o'Donovan taking it up just recently?

• Advertisement

The 6.1 has dropped it's watchability with Perry and McCullagh.

McCullagh has a pure non interested look about him. Perry is not a natural and always has to have the last word or make some witty comment.

But the most annoying thing has to be the "feel good" item they have just before the sports news. There might be some item about a singing donkey and then the segment will finish and the camera will go back to studio and there will be a wide pan shot where Perry and co will have a smile for 2 seconds and then "over to Eamon for the sports new"

I agree 100%. From being a fixed event in my daily schedule, it's now become so banal and touchie feelie that - with the exception of the weather forecast - it's no longer worth watching. (So I've stopped!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

John Kilraine has been appointed as the new RTÉ News London Correspondent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd be surprised to see Caitriona Perry on an outside broadcast again, after she fluffed her lines a couple times yesterday

Yeah what went on there. And she even needed a mat to stand on the grass while the guests being interviewed didn't get one...

She made a balls of the whole thing anyways, didn't even know the names of the two men off hands.

Great news that Perry is up the duff again. We'll soon be seeing the stud of news presenting Ray Kennedy back in the 6.1 slot. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Has there honestly been a more boring, bland and disinterested reporter/correspondent working in RTE's news room 🤔 the rare time he actually does a report it seems its being forced out of him and rarely does he complete a report without fluffing his lines, Just awful 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Philip Bromwell.

Boring english accent. And his news segments are all boring filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I've noticed Fiona Mitchell covering a few bits of late. Thought she'd retired and that's how Whelan ended up in London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

It’s likely that Sharon Tobin will stand in for Caitriona Perry when she goes on maternity leave. She is the regular stand in presenter for the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Tobin is a good competent news reader...with sufficient gravitas to handle the job.

Always seems to be trying to suppress a grin....mebbe no bad thing these days ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭RoTelly

And he will have to get that book written also.

No sign of their NY correspondent.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I think she was brought in for the London job and later left and is now a freelancer AFAIK.

______

Yesterday

Definitely got to write a book, goes with the territory.

NY correspondent though? Thought RTE just have a US correspondent who covers the entire country? Or is there usually some freelancer who covers NY?

RTÉ were to get funding from the Dept of Foreign Affairs for NY, Eastern Europe and Asia. Due to Ireland sitting on the UN security council. It was open to all broadcasters, I think VMTV's reports got to go to NY under the scheme. But it was supposed to be for the duration of the security council, which ends this year.

Washington correspondents have been the worst to deal with any major news from the US IMO. RTÉ sent a sports jorno to NY for the Katie Taylor match, I know you'll all say but its a major sporting event and what would the Washington correspondent know about sport, do you really need that much knowledgeable to put a report in that will be edited by the Sport desk?

______

Yesterday

yeah I noticed that about the sports journalist at the Katie Taylor fight. Sports journalists are fans with typewriters so no way was he missing a chance to go to New York and Maddison Square Garden. It was actually pretty pointless sending him as he didnt get an interview with Taylor before or after the fight, instead his report was him standing in the crowd well back from the ring and behaving like a fan. Waste of a trip if he wasnt able to get even a 15 second interview with her, it was pretty pointless without that.

There must have been extra funding or something so because Virgin Media sent a reporter to America for the first Garth Brooks concert...

• Advertisement

Brian O Donovan is supposed to be workplace and technology correspondent yet conor hunt took the apple story today.

Mary O regan was sent off to strasbourg for the revealing of a bust of John Hume. Where is Tony Conneely? How much annual leave do they have??

Advertisement