Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe both, and take the Hunt From Red October route: where the Russian submarine crew spoke Russian until a point where the camera pushed in on a characters lips, the language switched and the camera pulled out, everyone suddenly speaking English.

Remains a fantastic way to answer that problem of a cast who just shouldn't be speaking English. IIRC Valkyrie did similar, Tom Cruise switching from German to English midway through narrating a letter...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the TV series Warrior did this too so solve the problem of why the members of the Chinese community in 1800's San Francisco spoke English !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

My hope would be that the Predator ends up getting scalped and have his liver/heart or whatever equivalent eaten by the Comanche warrior that kills it...none of that will happen.

I also read that this initially has an R rating but Davis (producer) said they could edit it to achieve a PG13 rating 🙄

The ending will be the Predator will have our female hero in a choke hold ready to disembowel her when we cut to his POV and just like in Predator 2 we see our heroine is pregnant. Predator lets our heroine go <insert some token gesture of two cultures appreciating each other> fade to black....Q long tall sally sound track (native american pan pipe version) The End

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

It would be cool if the movie went full 'Apocalypto' but I have very little faith that this movie will actually be any good, when it comes to endlessly sequelized 80's IPs, only Terminator feels about as badly abused as Predator.

As stories go Predator is pretty limited in its scope, so you just get a re-tread of the same plot over and over with increasing levels of stupid added. This latest cash in seems pretty low budget too. I think going 'historical' is the right move, especially after Predator 2 hinted that they had been visiting earth for hundreds of years. Imagine a Pirates of the Caribbean Vs Predator or Aztec's Vs Predator (rather than the lame AVP allusions to such). Predators Vs Indians works too, but I'd rather see an Apache war band V. Predator rather hen some girl wondering around a forest, which sound like they're cheeping out. Also. PG13......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Full trailer: looks like everyone is speaking perfect English lol

• Registered Users Posts: 60,634 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks absolutely muck

It doesn't look great; maybe it's just how the trailer is cut, but you can see the PG-13 rating coming through in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There'll be a Comanche dub performed by the original actors available on day 1. The director says they never figured out a satisfactory way of doing the whole Hunt for Red October thing, so went with both English and dubbed Native versions. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I like how the Warrior tv series does it with Cantonese. All speak perfect English when speaking to each other, Cantonese when in the company of non Chinese and accented/broken English when required.

I know Danny Glover beat one so will see how this girl beats a Predator.

• Advertisement

That's pretty cool, fair play for making that effort.

Yeah, I think the producer (who is Comanche) went so far as to say it would be the first time ever for a movie to have a full native language version at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Looks better than the last release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh now I am looking forward to this! I was hyped before but I really liked the touch of making the bear scene so much like Predator 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is it true it's going to be rated PG or for over 13s? If so I'll give it a miss at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quite like the look of that actually, back to basics after the disaster the last one was. Looks in a similar vein to 'Predators' - just taking it back to nuts and bolts survivalism against the Predator. That puts a ceiling on it, but means it'll probably be decent fun at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

lol no was my first reaction 😁 but that's more because it helped me join some dots..

even the idea of a pg-13 rating helped me clock something. Grace reacted to the trailer earlier and was surprised it wasn't going to cinemas.

Seeing the age discussion even come up filled that in for me.

PG-13 might make some bank in a Cinema release but this ain't going to cinema so your post go me with a straight AAaaaaaaah Of course! moment.

Sure enough, wiki confirms the R Rating:

this:

Former 20th Century Studios Production president Emma Watts fast tracked the development of the film prior to her resignation in January 2020.[9] It was conceived as an R-rated film.[10]

and this:

Rating

Despite being conceived as having an R rating, Davis said that the film could potentially be cut to achieve a PG-13 rating.[10] In June 2022, Tranchberg revealed that the film would be rated R.[18]

I'm staying positive for that reason. Make it a simple nuts & bolts story and it might work out OK. I don't think the trailer makes it look especially great, but I do rate Dan Trachtenberg.

Then again, I rate Shane Black even more, and look how that turned out with his Predator movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The idea is great. But yeah, I was a bit put-off by the VERY American accent on the main actor. But again, it can't be some PG/family-friendly diet-Predator movie.

I actually didn't "get" predator the first time I saw it. Had missed it in the cinema. Finally saw it on a portable black-and-white TV. Hah. So I didn't get the hype initially. It's only later that it grew on me. It truly is a classic of its time.

I know times have changed and I'm all for it. I have ZERO problem with the protagonist being female. But some things SHOULDN'T change in a predator move. There needs to be blood. There needs to be violence but not CGI-Starship-Troopers type stuff. I don't want to see some CGI rag-doll human being ripped in half... But I do want to see spines :)

I know that sounds like I should seek mental health 😀 but you know what I mean. I want to see old-school Predator violence. Not family friendly shenanigans and not an OTT CGI-fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why is the main star a women , its literally token Hollywood look we are not sexiest,

Is this R rated ?

Is it true there will be a version in native American

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Why shouldn't it be a woman?

Have you read the thread?

Everything Predator should & will be held against the master piece of Predator 1 ,

There is no way you can convince an audience that a teenage girl with no advanced weaponry can kill a Predator ( based on the Predator from Predator 1 )without the Predator losing all credibility ,

Guess who else just lost all credibility?

Arnie didn't defeat the Predator with advanced weaponry, in fact the first film made pains to show how ineffective it was. By the end it wasn't Arnie's brute strength that won him the battle, but his hunting and trapping skills. Which ... yeah, a nomadic tribe like the Comanche might understand.

the Predators tended to fight you based on what you bring to the fight.

Arnie falling in muck and hiding his body temperature played a part in killing a predator and arnie out smarted it and then trapped it before blowing it up and to be honest arnie being covered in muck was the moment the predator franchise lost all credibility because this super advanced race lost to man covered in muck.

You just reaffirmed what i was saying ,

I said the audience wouldn't buy a teenage girl killing a predator without advanced weaponry & you replied that Arnie did it with "brute strength" something a teenage girl would be missing, hence the need for weaponry ,

Read what I said again 🙂 I didn't say it was his brute strength, I said it "wasn't Arnie's brute strength" that worked but hunting smarts and using the terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The very first line of the trailer is:

"Why do you want to hunt?"

"Because you all think that I can't".

Its crystal clear why we are looking at a female protagonist, and it sure isn't for historical accuracy.

It's disgusting that the libtards in Hollywood are ignoring historical accuracy in this film about an alien coming to earth to hunt people for sport.

• Advertisement

More to the point, has nobody here watched movies before? The whole "young [women|man] proves their worth while authority scoffs and says OH NO YOU DON'T" is an established trope of Hollywood, it's not modern at all. Sure, maybe back in the '50s it was tinged with a fair bit of "gosh-gee, ain't it crazy, a dame working on a car!!!" energy, but ... eh, I dunno. It's 2022 I suppose.

I mean, it doesn't look great, and the age rating is a problem straight out the gate, but Midthunder is a good actor, and Trachtenberg a proven director. This is unlikely to take over as the nadir of the franchise.

Advertisement