Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other tenants hassling me

Options
  • 07-06-2022 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

This isn't a huge issue but it's bothering me. I moved into an apartment a few months ago. It's an apartment within a house and there's two more tenants in the other two apartments.

I have a bicycle that I use for getting around town and I knew the apartment might not have space for a bike when viewing. Considering the lack of available properties, I had to choose between a roof over my head or continue looking for a place that I might be able to keep my bike.

I choosed the apartment over my bicycle. But I still have my bike because I lock it up inside an indoor car park and it still hasn't been stolen. It is a risk but what can I do. I could have ended up homeless if I choosed to wait it out and get a place with space for a bike.

Now when I say there's no space, there is probably a small space towards the back door. We also keep the outdoor bins in this small space. I literally struggle every week with getting the bins in and out because of how small this space is.

When I first moved in, I got chatting to the other tenants. You know how these initial conversations go, I tell them a bit about myself, work and I also mentioned that I cycle to work alot and I keep my bike in the indoor car park which is fine with me.

One tenant took it upon himself to help me out a bit, and actually tried to make space in the small area that had bins, so I would be able to keep my bike. At the time, there was an old ironing board and he took it away, so it looked like I could maybe fit a bike. I didn't ask him to and knew there was very little space when moving in, so I don't expect anyone to make changes to accommodate me. However, it's impossible to fit a bike. With the bins that I struggle with anyways, I can't imagine myself fitting a bicycle as well.

A few weeks ago, I was tired and sick after work that I cycled home and locked it up outside the house. It was vandalised at night. That's the risk I took. It wasn't nice what happened but one tenant started shouting and ranting at me, telling me it's common sense to bring the bike in. It did not affect him in any way, so I don't know why he was shouting at me. I cut him short and told him I had to get to work.

I got my bike fixed and got it back a few days later and I went back to locking it up in the indoor car park. It's been a few weeks and it's been good in the car park. However, the other tenants keep asking me about my bike. I have told them that it's still in the bike shop as there is a shortage of bike parts. But I can't keep going with this.

I literally struggle with getting the bins in and out, I really don't know how I can fit my bike inside. But I knew this when moving in. Where I keep my bike, doesn't affect the other tenants, I just want them to stop asking me. I don't want to cause hassle but it's bothering me. I have back issues as it is, I struggle with bins, and now they want me struggling with my bike. They want me to keep my bike inside but they aren't the ones struggling with it. How do I tell them to leave it.

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

Neighbour: "Where's your bike?"

You: "I've sorted an alternative space to lock up my bike at night, I won't be keeping it here, thanks for asking".

End of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BagsOfGold

Telling them I keep it in the car park wasn't enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you are struggling with your bins, presumably they are as well and adding your bike into the mix probably makes it worse. Do you have permission from the landlord to keep your bike there? Did you ask the other tenants if they minded???

It's not me that wants to keep my bike inside. It's the other tenants wants me to, that's the problem. I knew about the lack of space when moving in. I knew adding a bike into mix will make it worse.

Would I have to ask the landlord to keep my bike inside? I could blame it on the landlord alright but I don't think the landlord cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you bring it up into your apartment?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not. The stairs are narrow as it is and I also have a fold up bike and I struggle getting that up and down the stairs, so I don't fancy a full size bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

Just tell him to piss off. No need to over complicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

It must be some shoe box of a place if you can't get a fold up bike up the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pistachio19

Just say you got sorted - no further explanation needed. If they press for any more information just repeat - 'no need for you to worry, I've sorted it' And maybe give them a wide berth from now on if they are so bloody nosey.

What do you mean you could blame it on the landlord? You knew there would be a problem with your bike, you are now cluttering up public areas and complaining about others not accepting it. Take your bike into your apartment and stop annoying everyone else.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

This sounds bizarre. Why do your fellow tenants give a rat's a$$ where your bike is kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Sorry OP, what exactly is your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

Could you install a hanger inside the hall or above the bins. Keep if off the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

There must be something else going on here. I don’t see why strangers who share a building with you want you to crowd up a tiny space with your spare bike to the point where they won’t stop talking about it? If they are separate flats how do you keep having to talk to them anyway?

And you’ve definitely said ‘I don’t want to keep it here I’m sorted, seriously’

I don't know. When I had my bike vandalised, one of the other tenants was red in the face with anger about my bike. Not because it was vandalised but he completely ranted and shouted at me telling me it was common sense to bring the bike in. This same tenant who tried to make space for my bike in the first place. And I went and ignored him and done what I want. Not exactly done what I want but like I said there's very little space and I'm struggling with the bins and I don't want to add a bike as well.

My bike being vandalised did not affect him in any way but I'm guessing he might have some control issues after his shouting episode towards me. Guessing that's why his marriage failed. But not only that, he went and talked to the other tenant about this.

But really not sure how to tell them to fuk right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

THE OP DOES NOT KEEP THE BIKE IN THE APARTMENT NOR WANTS TO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

OP I think the other tenants are just making small talk with you by talking about your bike. It would be way worse if they were ignoring you.

They are just trying to help you by offering advice. You seem to be overthinking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

He went to the bother of sorting out space for you and you still did your own thing. He's exacerbated I'd imagine

Did you meet any of these people before moving in? He sounds like a nut job if he was shouting at you over your own business.... how did he even know it happened - did you knock on his door to tell him?

• Advertisement

Oh I appreciate he does not want to, but inconveniencing other by leaving in shared spaces is not on either. His problem, he has to solve it and not make it everyone else’s problem. He did not even check with the landlord if it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I still don’t know what your actual issue is, but it might be better suited for the accommodation and property forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's something missing in this story.

Didn't know anyone before moving in. He knew it happened because he saw me carrying my bike to a bike shop. I didn't tell him at all.

What kind of things did he shout at you???

And he lacks spacial awareness. I struggle getting the bins in and out with how little space there is. I am going to struggle with getting a bike in and out as well. But I knew this when moving in and I am ok with it. I just want them to stop hassling me and shouting at me because I had it vandalised. It didn't concern him in any way. I think he's more upset that I didn't take his useless advice.

Nothing missing. Unless I say that I get the feeling that they are watching my money. One tenant, not the tenant that shouted at me but the other one mentioned how expensive the bike shop I took my bike to was and then my made up story of bike parts are hard to get so the bike shop is just robbing me.

They both don't work, so they must think I need to manage my money like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

This is a very strange story indeed. Why not just chain the bins up outside. The problem seems to resolve around bins. Are they not pure stink having them inside anyway. Leave them out

Why are you interacting with them so much? You have your own apartment and just share a main door/bin space. How are they constantly chatting and nosing???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

He said I lacked common sense, just pure ranting. Over something that wasn't my fault.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement