Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The problem as they admitted was laying off too many and not restarting the recruitment soon enough. It'll be fine in due course, just the usual hell of travelling in summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

two years ago these "conspiracy theories" are coming to fruition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But this is not the usual hell of travelling in summer, tell me any other time when you weren't sure of making a flight when you turned up on time or a time when people weren't sure of what time they needed to be in the airport to make their flights. Yes the DAA made the mistake of laying of too many people, they were too greedy but they have done little to resolve it. Give it another few weeks when the spotlight is off them and this will happen again. Remember they said what happened earlier in the year was a one off and promised to put measures in place that it wouldn't happen again and low and behold it happened again. Wouldn't believe a word that comes out of any of their mouths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My understanding is that the PUP dried up and there wasn't enough work because air travel hadn't picked up. So loads of people across the airline industry resigned to find new jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Flew out out of T2 today at noon. Airport was very busy from 8am when we arrived to do bag drop (40mins Q) but security scan was a doddle at 10 mins wait.

• "Flew through" "No problems, what was the fuss about"

Can definitely see the same carnage as last weekend happening in the next two months.

RIP to the motorcyclist on the M50. A separate problem

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

If the airport is telling me to be there 3 hours if I've a bag to check in, what's the point if the Ryan Air bag drop doesn't open until 2 hours before the flight or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Yes, you are missing something.

Airport is saying do not arrive ANY MORE THAN 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 hours.

2 hours should be more than enough and has been more than enough with the exception of part of two days in the past 6 months. Even last Saturday you would have got through in 2 hours except for the very early flights where an extra 30min would have been needed. Even last Sunday you would have got through in two hours if you arrived after 2pm

Media has blown this way way out of proportion. But that's what the media do. They create a storm out of a breeze to get everyone to read the articles. People react and panic. Media loves it as they can crank up the catastrophic nature.

UK and other european airports have been far worse and consistently dreadful yet it barely makes the news in the UK or elsewhere. - Did you know that Manchester airport has had these issues on most days in the last 3 months? Schipol told airlines to cancel flights as they could not cope (Europe's best airport according to many)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What has Manchester and Schipol got to do with Dublin Airport and the DAA getting there crap together. Incase you missed it over 1,000 missed flight. Yes that was down to people arriving early also but that was down to panic created by the DAA with people in long queues barely making flights

Not blaming people arriving early to make sure they make there flight

Post edited by martingriff on

• Advertisement

Perhaps it goes to understanding that the problems are not unique to Dublin.

So what. This it's happening in other places so its understanding is crap. What is happening in those has no bearing on what the DAA do.

The DAA made an absolute arse of last Sunday

Imagine an authority whose top echelons are on the pay scale that they are on,only thinking to making the basic surge mitigation changes that are now in place having been hauled in before a Dáil committee and separately 2 government ministers

It was a lack of doing their job

Sorry just rereading what I wrote and it does look like I am blaming the people who showed up early. Was not my intention. As I say they were right to do so to be sure of making there flight. Made by the panic that issued due to the DAA ineptitude in the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So no drama today???

Flying back home on Friday for Pats v Rovers which is now postponed so its just an excuse for a piss up. Flying back to UK Saturday afternoon. If things are still bad, I'd probably give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Sorry should have clarified, not my experience at airports that aren’t Dublin. Always found security personnel at Dublin Airport particularly unfriendly and downright aggressive at times compared to other airports.

You mean you’ve never been shouted at to stay behind the white line by US border police at Shannon or in US?

After 40 yrs of regular travel I have realised that staff are the same in every airport, some nice, some not so nice. I’ve had good and back experiences in every airport I have visited more than once. In the US they just roar at you and you better do what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It's a sign of the times, all over the world.

I'd put the Dublin airport security staff well above average on the officious and unnecessarily obnoxious scale

French can be pretty bad too.

The most effective, professional and yet courteous airport security would be up in Scandinavia imo (Sweden, Denmark, Norway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's just excusing crap service. Don't excuse it.

They can barely even do basic hygiene in Dublin atm. Toilets are disgusting

• Advertisement

Not excusing it, explaining it. You have to be a bit of a moron not to understand the disruption caused by Covid and the difficulties afterwards when people started travelling abroad again en masse. Difficulties being experienced worldwide apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Hows it lookin today ?

Dublin is far worse than other airports (outside of maybe Manchester which was always a car crash). I go through Heathrow frequently and it's nowhere near as bad as Dublin is. I at least get clean toilets in Heathrow, and the security queue has never been as long.

DAA management fcuked up and us customers are suffering for it. Only an idiot wouldn't think air traffic would rebound quickly after 18-24 months where most couldn't travel.

Yeah they fcuked up. They should ahead recruited earlier and more aggressively. They'd risk looking foolish if there was another variant of concern this summer and travel was restricted again. Costs would have gone up and revenue would be down. Nobody would ahem called them clever of thst had happened even though it would have nlbeen out of their control. So there would have been risks to either decision.

I find airport staff pretty similar. I'd say it has mpre to do with whether the person is having a sh1t day than anything else. Dealing with the public all day can be grating. I try not to get thick about it.

Daughter flew back from Bristol last week, she said it was absolute bedlam, far worse than Dublin which she had flown out of a week earlier.

Tbh I think unless there was a serious variant that actually started to increase death rate, people were done with Covid and restrictions in general and travel would have been busy this summer.

That's how it turned out. But the decisions needed to be made before that had happened.

If you watched the covid threads from last September and October, posters were saying the same thing. Lots couldn't countenance the idea that anyone would accept restrictions over Christmas 2021 and lots thought very few people would get the third covid vaccination.

It's easy to say you knew it was over. People knew it was over last summer too. It's been over more times than its been on. Declared dead and arisen like Easter Jesus on crystal meth. Hindsight is great, but not terribly useful 6 or 8 months ago when the decisions needed to be made to recruit aggressively.

That's interesting. I flew out of Bristol 2 weeks ago and it was absolutely fine (the same weekend it all kicked off in dublin). Flew out of Newcastle the last 2 weekends and it was no bother either time. And dublin T2 was very quiet on Friday morning at about 6am. Got through in 10-15 mins in all 4 instances.

Theres no predicting how it will be. Presumably the staff are staff are all working very long hours to make it work. That isn't sustainable. Hope the recruitment is going well ahead of the summer rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Apologies if it has come up already, but has anyone heard how the DAA compensation mechanism is going for those that missed flights?

Think it has a lot to do with airlines cancelling flights due to staffing issues, TUI and easyJet had cancelled flights that day, she said she was actually scared with the atmosphere/hostility in the airport.

• Advertisement

Gatwick was fine flying out today. But then saw that easyJet had substantially cancelled today’s schedule. So hardly a surprise I guess

Is that the Heathrow that had 6 hour queues yesterday?

and the Heathrow where it was taking over 2 hours for baggage to get into the baggage hall at times?

UK government still does not give a toss. At least here all the stops were taken out to prevent a reoccurrence and it has worked.

Airlines have to take some blame too. All were saying in Jan, Feb, March and as late as april (BA/Aerlingus) that business would not recover to 2019 levels until 2024 and gave stockmarket predictions that this summer would be 20%+ below 2019 figures. Now it seems they will be higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I hope you are getting paid for your time posting to tell us how bad all other airports are and engaging in the old whataboutery every time issues are raised about Dublin.

Although if you are employee of DAA then there is a fair chance you are very well paid, of course assuming you aren't working in security. 🙄

Do you have any whatabout stories as to the hygiene of the bathroom facilities in other airports?

I am not allowed discuss …

It kinda helps to understand the reasons for it happening and that it is being replicated in many countries around the world. Otherwise people take the simplistic view that it is a uniquely Irish problem with an Irish solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

No I haven’t been shouted at by US security, although they are certainly obnoxious and slow. They do have arguably a more difficult job though, and have to do it for less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Came back through Dublin Airport over the weekend. Guy at immigration must have been new - never had it taken so seriously (except for the US, I suppose..).

"Ooh, you're a lot hairier, this will be a challenge. Stand over here so I can see you better through the glass. Take off your glasses. Try to keep a straight face like in the photo and stop laughing so I can compare.."

But no delay once we got off the plane, and baggage was out on the carousel almost as quickly as I was through.

I mean I flew through Heathrow Terminal 2 yesterday and there was no 6 hour queue.

So sad that you need to go down the pettiness route of "you must work for".

I mean it really shows phenomenal pettiness.

I just cut though the sensationalism claptrap.

There was an issue for 8 hours for one day. A back up plan should have been in place. Lessons were learnt.

The sh1te that it is causing "reputational damage" as you hear from mouthpieces such as sinn fein is just that - utter sh1te. If anything the fact that they created aback-up plan and implemented it within a few days unlike dozens of other airports that still have issues (avoid manchester at all costs) actually enhances the reputation as it has run smoothly ever since.

Yeah that's all pretty true. The plan publishing was delayed from Tuesday to Wednesday last week and I thought it meant they didn't have a plan and it would be a disaster last weekend. But in actual fact it went very well.

I presume the staff are working overtime to make it work and I hope they're being well compensated for their additional hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Its a scandal and Mr Ryan and the other transport minister are spectators. what are we like.

Are there any on-line reviews of Airports as be interesting to see what the tourist nthink of Dublin Airport experience.

What do you mean by 'spectators'? Ryan is meeting with DAA to find solutions.

I'm a spectator. I do nothing to solve the situation. What would Ryan do to make him not a spectators?

He is "the boss" so i expect he in charge. he made a statement a few weeks ago to say 24 hours with a plan. If he was in charge there is no way something like 1000 important state employees would have being let go. Meeting a year after cannot solve the problem. I have not heard any statement from either of the two transport ministers since the statement i mention. I may haver missed it.

They managed to get through the bank holiday peak without major disruption. Wasn't that the objective of the whatever was in the statement? Isn't that the point above whether you or I saw any follow up statements?

"state" employees. Are we in russia now?

DAA is a semi-state company. It operates as a private company with ultimate ownership being the state. It operates on a commercial basis and staff are not civil servants or "state employees" as you put it.

They got it wrong on ONE day. On that day they had no back-up plan for sudden absences, huge early surge of people and some staff had still not been fully qualified. Unlike may other airports around Europe and particularly the UK, they immediately created a new plan with back-up plan and that, as anyone has experienced, has worked very well.

People love to diss something local, but DAA are considered a world leader in airport retail and also manage two airports in Saudi Arabia and are renowned for their expertise. That they created and implemented a plan within 96 hours of the problem arising is actually testament to that.

BTW, if you actually checked, the number of those taking redundancy was under 800 and that was throughout all of its operations

Now I sit back and watch for more of the "you must work for" petty jibes - the reality is I can see through the wild sensationalism of social media and the gutter press, especially Ireland's version of the daily mail - the indo which has really fallen into the gutter since the belgian owners took over

I'd largely agree with this.

I criticise government as much as anyone. But I find it difficult to listen to someone who can never recognise when government or services work well or react well to problems when they arise.

I'd say DAA and the government reacted well and solved the problem of the peak period last weekend. There are longer term issues which they're working to address and the test of that work will come later in the summer.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Advertisement

They got it wrong one day? from what i read here it seems wrong every day with security delays. So the Government/DAA made 800 people reduntant and people are taking 3.5 hours at security and its ok. In the last two weeks i was at 2 international airports and security at both was about 15 mins.

There is clearly no-one in charge at Dublin Airport...

I'd say your experience of the service working very well (mine was exactly the same at T2 last weekend, about 15 mins through security), shows that 3.5 hour queues were not considered acceptable. They did have some terrible queues which were not acceptable and they dealt with the short term problems while addressing the longer term problems.

Isn't that what we wanted them to do once the problem arose?

Its easy to turn Captain Hindsight and point out that they let too many staff go. It's true. They didn't have work for them, didn't know if covid would go away or re-emerge and suppress air travel again. My job involves investigating government spending. I can tell you that the only thing the public and politicians dislike more than acute under staffing, is prolonged overstaffed.

Imagine they retained all the staff (pay, holidays, pensions etc.), and covid re-emerge so there was little air travel again. You see a report about full-time security staff being paid to do no work, or even not come into work because there's no work. Do you think you would you say "God, DAA were very clever to retain all those staff on full pay, just in case covid went away and things were busy again"?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

I flew out of T1 on Thursday afternoon - took 45 mins to scan boarding pass / get through security. Plenty of staff in high vis jackets outside the terminal shouting & directing proceedings, but I couldn’t tell what value they added.

Most belts were operating at security, but frustrating to see only 3 metal detectors shared by all belts. This contributed to bottle necks of people queuing.

The current boss Daltonhas a salary that it would tale a person 0n what i read €14+/hour 15 years to earn, also board on big salaries €100k plus. Unfortunately they have failed.

Management is abouy foresight, failure is failure but you think hindsight. Politicians and management do not know or care. cost saving excercise. The employees were off on pandemic payment is what i read a year ago and were offered packages.

Out of interest do you know the salary of the security staff who were let go.

I've no idea of the salaries of the people who were let go.

Now, I answered your question. Would you answer the question from my last post?

• Advertisement
Advertisement