Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You really think thats how Co Board meetings work? That club delegates express the views of club members and they are taken heed of? Come on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely.

The Mayo chair had a classic Marie Antionette/let them eat cake moment.

No word of dissent from our board (Roscommon) - bringing 3 teams from the West to Dublin of a Saturday is pure nuts at the moment, and shows how out of touch the officer class are, lads who have expense accounts to claim off, and who have never bought a ticket for a game - wouldn't have an idea how much it would cost to bring a family to Croke Park from the likes of Miltown Malbay, Ballina, or even Roscommon Town.

Croke Park is a monster and it has to be fed regardless I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

County boards dont care because they would only be fighting for a different neutral venue and not home or away.

Personally I think the provincial finalists should just get home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is this mess finished next season?

As I understand it, the round of Last 12 (i.e., this weekend's fixtures) next season will be 2nd in a group at home to 3rd in another group. But perhaps they reserve the right to move the fixtures to wherever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The minor semis had been fixed already and Sky have the two Saturday slots so too late to change now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Yeah there'll be an absolutely tiny crowd at this a lot of Kildare folk me included aren't bothering either 30 quid to sit in a souless Croker? No thanks.

And that's coming from the fans of the one county the fixture actually suits.

Even that is a mess to me. It should just be 1st vs 2nd and everyone else gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The GAA have really made a balls of it in the last week. Sure they put the Leinster hurling final on for a 7pm throw in in Croker with Galway playing. If you were on your way out at 8:50, you'd still have to get to your car, stop for food somewhere and then drive the rest of the way home. You'd be talking close to 1am at least by the time you'd arrive home. And then that doesn't take into account possibility of extra time either.

Heard on a podcast that the Antrim and Kerry development squads up to watch the first game had to leave before the Leinster final to make it home. Those games should have been either 2/4 or 3/5

• Advertisement

Loads of lads I've spoken to who normally go aren't going to this.

Ya ye must be sick of a half full Croke Park. It's not just the stadium either as a small crowd will just disperse and get lost in Dublin.

Not sure what the expected crowd would be but Portlaoise at 20k and Thurles at 40k are well situated for the teams involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Agree with all the above, but the local media in Clare are delighted with this game in Croke Park, trotting out the stupid line that its great that the team are getting a chance to play in the big arena. It's a grand all expenses paid trip for the media boys but these are the lads that should be making the noise to put the pressure on the county boards over this outrageous decision to drag 3 teams from the west to Dublin on a Saturday evening for a qualifier match. They are every bit as bad as the gaa in this in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is some weak excuse for not going to support your county in fairness! Look at the prices soccer supporters have to pay for matches even frendlies for comparison. Mayo support (no1 in country IMO) puts Kildare support to shame.

Now I know there are fair weather fans every county. But Kildare support particularly flaky IMO.

Reading between the lines bar a hardcore Lillywhite support. The Kildare fans only come out in droves when their team is doing well.

Huge support but only at the big games! Or think chance of winning etc

I remember the 90’s/mid 00’s CP used to be jammed with those white crisp jerseys.Hardly any fan without one. So the support is there but going racing instead these days?

Only at AI Semi Final / FInal would the hordes of Lilly white supporters return?

Would those missing Kildare supporters even find their jerseys in the drawer-after all these years?

If Kildare fans came out in force like they can more often. It could be difference between their team winning or losing a match.

Kildare has massive support - but the big support base is not loyal - flaky.

The expense travelling time argument is one I would have more sympathy for supporters from Mayo/Donegal etc to CP. But Kildare less so.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

trotting out the stupid line that its great that the team are getting a chance to play in the big arena

You see I think there is some truth in this.

The players and management would prefer to play in Croke Park.

It makes no sense that three county boards would all be equally tone deaf about the location of these games and accept what HQ tell them without question.

And even though county board bashing is a sport around these parts I don't believe that there are many CB members who flippantly say "to heck with the fans I can expense my trip to Croke Park, let's make sure it's on as far away as possible and at as inconvenient a time as possible "

I'd say many are as annoyed about a journey to Croke Park as the fans on a summer Saturday when it could be done closer to home.

I think what has really happened is that the teams themselves have pushed for, or either have no qualms about playing in Croke Park.

And the county boards are happy to support the teams.

Maybe your right. I hope the players and management enjoy the experience of playing in Croker to the backdrop of squawking seagulls and the sound of their own voices

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This line of thought amuses me. Why? Because basically the GAA will get criticised regardless.

Put teams outside Dublin in CP there is moaning about having to travel from cohorts.

Put counties in other smaller grounds. A cohort will say not treating competition seriously. Hardly ever get to play in CP etc. Or some will say CP underused.

Basically the GAA are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. As usual!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Playing in Croke Park should be achieved. The whole getting to Croke Park thing matters when it's a final or close to one.

If "getting to play in Croke Park" is a good enough reason to put a qualifier on there than fk it let's just put all the games on there.

Not on this occasion, they have got this wrong and are totally out of tune with the mood of the supporters. If this was played as a double header in Tullamore or stand alone matches in the Hyde and Tuam there wouldn't have been a murmur of dissent.

They are depending on the near fanatical support for Mayo to carry this, if a good enough chunk of that support say enough is enough it will be an embarrassing occasion.

I couldn't give a sh!t what soccer supporters pay and frankly if they're paying to watch the tripe Stephen Kenny and the league 1 boys are serving up then they need their heads looked at.

As for the topic at hand I'm not throwing away perfectly good money to go to a 3/4 empty croke park to listen to the seagulls and the players shouting for each other it's much easier for you to get on your high horse about going to games when you get to watch the multi millionaire all Ireland contenders for your money. If this game were in Tullamore with the minors or in the Hyde etc I'd have gone but I'm not spending my money on this sh!te. No qualifier should be in croker but the white elephant has to be fed eh?

A Dublin fan pontificating about flaky fans and ye get every game at home? Get the boat.

Post edited by Fattybojangles on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Only at AI Semi Final / FInal would the hordes of Lilly white supporters return?

Lol, that's fairly rich coming from a Dublin fan

Not exactly helping the "Kildare crowd are bandwagon fans" theory with your League 1 comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭kksaints

Kildare fans really are flaky aren't they?

With the greatest of respect I don't really care I've been to Páirc Seán, Dr Hyde Park, Thurles, Dr Cullen Park, Tullamore, Navan, Breffni Park, Castlebar, Pearse Park, Porlaoise, Nowlan Park, Navan and many more besides following Kildare since my first game in 2000 and do you know what I've decided no more will I waste money on this sh!te especially not a souless qualifier in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

Would have been a brilliant memorable day out with a packed double header Minors and seniors in Tullamore.

However,that couldn't happen as the minor result wasn't determined til Monday night around 9pm ( I was at it) and sky had the pick of two games for the sat at 4pm and 6pm,thats the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

There are only a very small number of "die-hards" in any county, who will travel support the team regardless of time, venue or any costs.

Everybody else just goes along when it suits, or is convenient, or when the team is doing well. That's simply reality.

Kildare are coming off a trimming by Dublin, hopes won't be especially high. Hopes don't seem so high in Mayo either this year after 3 poor performances in a row.

In another year, Kildare and/or Mayo could be genuine All-Ireland contenders, but not this year.

Clare or Roscommon won't bring many fans either. West Clare to Dublin is a long and costly trip.

I think it will be a very disappointing attendence.

Maybe Sky will spring for those fake crowd banners they used in the premiership for the behind closed door games during covid and while their at it they might give an option of fake crowd noise on their coverage as opposed to the seagulls screeching

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd say Clare support for their match will almost exclusively be made up of Family/Relationships and close friends

Clare to Croke Park

€2 x 2 toll M7 Limerick

€2 x 2 toll Portlaoise

€3.20 x 2 M50 Toll

So if driving, before fuel you're in for €14.40

Add in ticket cost (€30), petrol (probably €50), food (€10?); all of a sudden, going watching Clare very likely lose to Roscommon doesn't sound too appealing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭flasher0030

This is a good opportunity for Kildare. Not many people can travel from Mayo. They would love to but with the game on at 6, anyone with kids under, say 10 or 11 would need to stay over. And that's not really a possibility with hotel prices up around €300 minimum; and that's only for one room. With the possibility of staying over practically eliminated, that really restricts the amount that will travel from Mayo.

None of that applies for Kildare. Essentially anyone can travel. This is an opportunity for the supporters to get behind the team with the passion that they had 4 years ago with the "Newbridge or nowhere" stance, and outnumber the opposing fans now. Where's that passion now. We have a so-called supporter complaining about spending €30 on a ticket plus a bit of petrol money. Yet, the same person knows that he would have his paw out with an expected entitlement to an All-Ireland ticket if Kildare were there.

Why don't you stop moaning, get off you ar$e on Saturday and travel the few miles to Croke Park to support your team. The day is not about you and how you want to enjoy the atmosphere. The day is about your local team busting a gut to get to the All-Ireland quarter final. Surely you can try to do your piece to get them there. My own parents (in their 70s) are travelling from Mayo to the match, and travelling back down again. A 6 hour round journey.

Advertisement