Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

Was thinking the exact same myself. Thought he would have at least got 30 mins considering how came panned out, think he only got about 15 mins and would imagine he won’t see any time with last two games unless Jonny or Ross pull out injured. Also assuming we get to final! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Keenan back training. No update on Lowe or Johnny rugby! Furlong to be assessed later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Think I'd go for:

1. Porter
    2. Sheehan
    3. Ala'alatoa
    4. McCarthy
    5. Molony
    6. Murphy
    7. van der Flier
    8. Conan
    9. Gibson-Park
    10. R. Byrne
    11. O'Loughlin
    12. Frawley
    13. Henshaw
    14. Larmour
    15. Keenan
    16. McKee
    17. Healy
    18. Clarkson
    19. Baird
    20. Doris
    21. McGrath
    22. H. Byrne
    23. O'Brien

Need Molony's ball-handling to unlock the defence, and McCarthy for his power in the maul and dynamism around the park. Ryan doing his C.J. Stander impression and running into everyone won't work against these guys, I feel.

O'Loughlin has been a valuable player while some others have been injured. Who replaces him next season if there are similar injury absences? Russell? Cosgrave? Smith? Comerford? There could be an opening anyway.

I could see Baird doing well against these South African teams. They're maybe not as technical as some of the European teams, so they won't be as likely to stop him at source and his athleticism could come to the fore.

• Advertisement

Baird will be on the bench? Doris at 6? McCarthy will bench and Ryan and Molony will start.

I think it would be a terrible mistake not to start McCarthy.

Baird at 6 they seem to looking at. We could see that.

RB makes the urc dream team! I suppose that could be a confidence builder.

If Sexton is out this week I'd be interested to see how Ross fares against a S.A side? The Bulls will be a step up from Glasgow and will not capitulate. Part of me wants HB to start. I think he's stagnated this year with injury and lack of opportunities. I reckon Keenan comes straight back and Larmour will drop out to the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Larmour has to start after this weeks performance. So O'Brien either stays at full back or is dropped to the bench if Keenan is back. Unless he can play 11 and Lowe hasn't returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

JOB has started 5 games at 11 for Leinster including 2 European fixtures (1 of which he was motm against Bath scoring 4 tries)

JOB, Keenan and Larmour would be a mighty fine back 3

• Advertisement

Great. Had a brain fart there thinking he only played 14/15.

I think he's deserved a start at 11 over Lowe with Lowe on the bench maybe, if he is coming back to full fitness. Cullen may opt for Lowe if he's fit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

It’s astonishing how many were saying Moloney had his best ever game against Toulouse and now are writing him off. Ryan I believe has his shortcomings, size and muscle mass being the obvious one. McCarthy has greater size than both but is relatively new to first team.

McCarthy is potentially the heir apparent to Moloney’s position but why not Ryans? What about when Jenkins comes in. There’s going to be some fallout from the final but I don’t think McCarthy has surpassed either of the incumbents yet. Then there is the rewarding youth.

I’m not sure Joe is ready for two games in a row against SA packs but I might be wrong. I hope I am because I think it’s an area we have short comings if we want silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

On the one hand putting mccarthy in might show him what level he needs to be at to match the power of a SA or French lock for that matter. But also he's 2 or 3 years ahead of him so now is too soon and he may not mature enough physically, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Watched the game back again there. Apart from two early penalties, James Ryan had another very good game.

I don't understand the criticism he gets. What's he not doing that people think he should be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

What's going on with the attendances were getting zebre/dragons on a cold November's night for knockout matches, Saturday was abysmal and this week's semi final looks just as bad on Ticketmaster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Crowd fatigue after the Champions Cup ended. It's crap having the European final a month before the individual leagues wrap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Crowd fatigue, lack of casual fan interest in URC, assumption that we'll make the final anyway, short time to sell tix

Apathy towards the URC might be the biggest factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Time of year doesn't help for families with kids doing exams, Games at home week after week, Since Easter weekend there has been a lot of home games.

Last weekend was a bank holiday too which doesn't help.

Connacht

Toulouse

Munster

Euro final was well attended

Glasgow

Bulls

Potential Final

I reckon a lot of people are waiting on the final now. Energy bills eating into disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just took a look at Ticketmaster. The ticket sales are looking a lot better than they were last week. It’s worth noting that last week was a bank holiday weekend off the back of a SF and Final that would have cost a good chunk for those who went to both. There are 2 more knock out games to go and Leinster would be all but sure of getting to those. Plus it was an awkward time on a Saturday for families who may have had stuff on. There’s probably a load of reasons why the game was poorly attended. For example our gang of around 15 STHs who go to basically every game we’re missing several due to a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It was a bank holiday, people would have made plans long before that game was organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm sure a lot of it is down to a large glut of home games all on top of each other as well.

Yeah. From the 6Ns to the round of 16 to the QF, SF and final of Europe and the Munster game and then 3 weekends in a row of league knock outs. There’s only so much time and money people have. We skipped the Munster game because we had to find time for something other than rugby at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The game at 3pm Saturday kills your day unless you are living fairly close to the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd chalk a lot of it down to this.

While I stayed in Dublin I felt I'd have to switch the lights off if I left lol. Most of my rugby group and colleagues who'd be safe bets to go seemed to be away

Yeah, we’re 30-40 mins drive from the RDS and when you factor in a little one (who we brought) and the need to get lunch into her before we left and dinner when we got back that was 1pm to 7pm all told. Other than a couple of hours in the morning that’s the whole day gone.

But as well as that we have a 6 week period with 5 home games, only 1 of which is covered by the season ticket. And the week that was away was the HEC final which a good few went to as well. That’s a lot of time and money that people would need to put in to getting behind the team week after week. And when you have a family or even just an other half, it’s a lot to be building weekend after weekend around rugby like that.

Hopefully this week is well attended and if so then there’s nothing to see with last weeks attendance.

It's unusual for rugby to be played this late in the year! People have spent a lot of money to travel to Marseille and with amount of home games, it's easy to see supporters picking and choosing which games to attend.

I think this week's tilt will have a bigger attendance. But, it's been a long season and fans have to budget their finances this time of year!

I'm chuffed that the Bulls have made it to the sf! I think this side will be a tough ask this week. This is the kind of team that Leinster need to face, if they are to be able to stand with the more physical teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd bring Henshaw in for Ringrose and leave the back row as it is for Friday. 2nd row and front row I'd keep the same. Keenan in at 15 with JOB moving to the wing (if Lowe is out). Sexton for Byrne obviously, if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Last weekend's attendance was very very poor for a sunny Saturday playoff game I thought. But hopefully for the reasons listed - so many home games in a row and the bank holiday factor. Plus the relatively early Saturday kickoff.

I'd assume the final will definitely sell out if its in the RDS, and this week will hopefully be respectable. Both games likely being against the new, good Saffer, sides might give them some more novelty value than 'just another game' against a Welsh/Scottish side too. A bit more expectation of exciting rugby.

It is a shame the European season ended so far in advance of the league, but the June games definitely make for a far more pleasant day out weather-wise at least to be fair.

• Advertisement

As noted, the short turnaround, bank holiday weekend, relatively awkward time and quantity of home games likely dissuaded people.

Add to that, a lot of fans probably expected Leinster to wipe the floor with Glasgow and probably planned to make the semi-final and final (should they qualify) and maybe some predicted that Leinster would field a 'second string' team post final too so made alternative plans.

I wouldn't read into the attendance at all though.

Advertisement