Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They had to drop the price on the last lot a few years ago. They were very expensive and yea, they suffer serious privacy problems (IMO, I'm sure the owners are happy enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The effect of investment funds and state purchasing would appear to have made new homes unaffordable for ftb's

Dublin house prices are currently 41pc higher than the rest of the country, the report found, while Longford has the cheapest property market at 48pc below national average. New builds are also averaging 48pc more expensive to purchase compared to existing homes

After demolishing a huge amount of good housing in the city. The state apparatus have found more housing that can be easily turned around and are consigning it for demolition in Limerick.

Yes, that is the town that we highlighted 2 weeks ago for only having 7 properties available to rent

When the ground works were done they were inspected and passed by an engineer. The blockwork is perfect in them, the slates, roof, frames are all perfect, there is a concrete staircase. It is all fire cert approved. The works to date would probably be close to the bones of €1m,” said Cllr Carey, who wants the interested developer to finish the apartments so young people / young families can get on the housing ladder.....

“Demolishing these apartments would cost the taxpayer huge money. There are people desperate for a place to live and I have to tell them we are going knocking seven perfect apartments,” said Cllr Carey

Consigning it for demolition on the basis of the council's structural engineer report and flood risk assessment rather than an entirely arbitrary decision. A fairly important detail, no?

On the other hand, the developer's engineer disagrees, but I'd bet you anything that if the council did sell them off we'd have outrage on here at them being sold off to a private developer. Just another case of it's impossible to win, whatever is done is wrong.

Conservative 100euro per night for 1 hotel room for 365 nights multiplied by 3 years by 7 potential apartments = 766,500euro

If these are 2 bed apartments which I believe they are, double it up potentially.

Every effort being made to find accomodation for refugees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

The site appears to be located in or immediately adjacent to an area marked as being at medium flood risk when looking at the site on the flood maps.

The fact is the site should never have been given planning permission in the first instance and is prime example of a dodgy celtic tiger era planning approval.

Its all well and good to say its still useful, but if that area then flooded severely and the house became uninhabitable, based on the quantifiable risk, Council will be sued and questions asked. Council will be seeing this as an opportunity to right a wrong. Also it could be difficult getting insurance on a site declared at flood risk.

Flood risk in this country was severely underestimated and/or overlooked up until the crash and it will only continue to get worse with the effects of climate change. To say it hasnt flooded in the past does not mean it wont be in the future. There are numerous examples of properties across Ireland being flood affected for the first time in living memory recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On the other hand this area has not flooded in the recent past. If it's not subject to severe flooding the. It's possible to install minor flood defences at a reasonable cost.

I do not know the site however it my ay be possible to get build a 600mm high mass concrete wall to prevent river flooding. Council officials/planners may have other agendas. They may want to remove it as it an obstruction to a clear view of the river.

One of the biggest issue prevention housing is red tape at present. To get housing comp LL eyed quickly we need a major renovation plan that will encourage those who own semi derelict and sub standard property to bring it back into use

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The best flood defence is not to build on flood plains in the first place - building walls to deal with floods just shifts the problems elsewhere.

Land needs to be allowed to flood, if you try and raise the banks or build walls you are causing flooding somewhere else. Council are right to try and knock this, uninhabitable buildings on flood prone land that should never have gotten PP in the first place - wont be eligible for insurance either so only choice is to knock it!

On the other hand this area has not flooded in the recent past. If it's not subject to severe flooding the. It's possible to install minor flood defences at a reasonable cost. I do not know the site however it my ay be possible to get build a 600mm high mass concrete wall to prevent river flooding.

Possible. But it is a corner site and driveway access is needed on the immediate side so water would simply be diverted to this point.

Council officials/planners may have other agendas. They may want to remove it as it an obstruction to a clear view of the river.

Its fairly clear what the Council officials/planners think: "Trevor McKechnie, senior executive engineer, said it has been designated by the planners as an area prone to flooding."

One of the biggest issue prevention housing is red tape at present. To get housing comp LL eyed quickly we need a major renovation plan that will encourage those who own semi derelict and sub standard property to bring it back into use

Generally agree with that point. But in this instance its not a case of red tape, but rather inappropriate development.

Yep.

If they built it and it flooded, you can guarantee the reaction that would follow. "Disgraceful from the council", "only care about making developers money", "typical corrupt Ireland", "should never have been built" yada yada yada.

• Advertisement

I'm originally from the general area, never heard of it being flodded before. Could it be salvaged as a homeless shelter/emergency accomodation

As above it would easily cover itself for Ukraine refugees for a period of 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Walls work both ways though so they can just as easily trap in flood water if there isn't some consistent flood defense strategy for the whole area to ensure that doesn't happen.

You're right about the red tape though, the biggest issue with bringing that back into use is that no sane engineer or architect is going to put their insurance and livelihood on the line to sign off on that building as habitable after some minor remedial works, you can see clearly the roof timbers are rotting, so right now its all " But what about the refugees!" but in a years time when it burns down, floods or the roof collapses it'll be all "Who's going to prison?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

The ratio is not with people who want to own their own house but with people who can afford to buy a house.

I wonder who originally gave permission for it to be built

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It looks like the construction of new builds has taken a big hit in the UK. It'll be interesting to see what the figures are here when they become available, it would appear there is a similar trend emerging within our own industry.

LONDON, June 8 (Reuters) - Construction of new homes in Britain almost ground to a halt last month as builders feared the cost-of-living squeeze and rising interest rates would constrain demand, a closely watched survey showed on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I disagree due to the fact that there are a mass of people who have a home to go to and they cant afford it, its called the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Now 515k over asking. Must be a few Foxrock fans out there somewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

UK on the brink of recession on paper probably worse in reality, I'd say by Q3 they will be on paper in a recession. Who knows what the future holds for Ireland, could be a slowdown could be a wallop

US heading the same way. Business investment is taking a massive dive which may translate into less FDI here by the MNCs. Jobs growth and consumer spending there is still positive but the question is for how much longer.

If the UK & US are both in recession then I think that bodes much worse for us when compared to what ever happens on the mainland. Although it is worth noting our exports to the EU have ramped up significantly since Brexit at the expense of the UK.

In terms of the effect on the property market, it may well depend on the severity of any recession. The Economist published an interesting take on this last week:

Not long ago recessions seemed to strike America roughly once a decade. But only two years after the first lockdowns, the business cycle is turning at a sickening speed and another one already seems to be on its way.

If you are like most people, your memory of downturns will be dominated by the past two—the financial heart attack in 2007-09 and the pandemic-induced collapse in 2020.

Both were severe and highly unusual. By their standards, America’s next recession will almost certainly be milder and more pedestrian. But because the world economy, asset markets and America’s politics are all fragile, it may yet have nasty and unpredictable consequences.

For me, the two big unknowns this time around are the fact that inflation is being driven in part by supply side shocks and financial markets are starting to have withdrawls from a decade of the free money drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

If there is a slowdown in construction that to me means ultimately the price of buying a house will continue to rise in the not too distant future regardless of economic slowdowns etc .... unless something like a world war breaks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Not necessarily especially if growth slows big time and as a result jobs losses start to become the norm, that will hit the demand side. Personally I think the Tech MNCs in Dublin city centre will start the paring first, smaller ones more so than the Googles, but nevertheless the contagion may spread.

Agreed. Credit availability also is probably the biggest factor influencing prices growth. If its harder for buyers to borrow as much tomorrow as they can do today, then developrs and vendors alike will have to accept lower prices if they want to sell.

If its a mild recession as I spoke to above, then potentially yes. But if the global financial system is put under serious pressure, don't expect the banks to be in a postion to keep lending as they currently are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

what I mean is we only have one stock of houses for both rent and to buy and even now a lot of people cannot afford to rent or buy a house but the left leaning government are handing them cash to make sure they can afford it so the affordability factor is not an issue. The over riding ratio is people who want to be living in their own home (either renting or buying) vs the amount of houses that we have available for rent and to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

In the short term yes but the demand will still be there and a shortage of supply down the line....I'd see prices spinning back up within a couple of years of even a serious downturn

Unless there is somewhere to emigrate to or proper gamechanging societal/political upheaval.....which I'm not sure will happen on that timescale as we are too wedded to current ideology. Would be like taking a blanket from a baby.

Maybe WW3 or some major unforseen crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think it's more of a 'Celtic Elephant' situation, it's already here in the room, but nobody is talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I wouldn’t assume that banks will stop lending because of a recession…what stops banks lending is a lack of capital and liquidity…. Capital gets depleted with bad debts but unlike ‘08 banks are in a very strong position capital wise due to banking regulations introduced after ‘08. Where banks will struggle as they have done for the past 10 years is finding people to lend to within their risk appetite. Nobody on a fixed rate is going to refinance or move mortgages because rates will be higher…you can see this already in the US market.

Where credit will become more difficult to access is from the likes of private equity funds as investors will invest less when they see that the market value of their investment has fallen in value due to rising rates. That’s Not saying that the investors have actually lost any money if they hold till maturity but on paper it will appear so and this will also impact the fund managers and their bonuses so expect London to be hit harder than most.

Unless there is some big shock to the system that causes massive defaults banks will still be lending and especially for mortgages because their is low risk thanks to LTV/LTI constraints by the central bank and good margins to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Co Council planning department.

Yes but this dose not seem a flood plain. Looking at the photo there is a house on the LHS in good condition. As well the old defence is 600mm-1m below the existing walkway. This brings me back to a council agenda. The green growth on the lower defence suggest that there was not serious flooding there in the last twelve months( this would have washed away the earth whee the growth occured. So it only has the lowest defence not been breeched the footpath the higher defence is in place as well.

Inside the security fence is a small wall. If this was a mas concrete wall it would secure the area.

It's look like an excuse from the LA with an agenda, it smells like it .....

I am just a stupid peasant. I no senior engineer. Then if you want to solve housing you really need to red tape out of the loop.

I do not know the site although I have often been through Killmallock. However as you say flood defences work both ways. From looking at the photos it depends on how you access the site.

A major cost in any developments at present is getting a site to building stage. Replacing a roof is a minor cost. It looks more like external timbers are an issue. Was it mentioned as an issue in the senior engineer's report

Slava Ukrainii

Medium flood risk is between 1 and 3% risk of flooding annually, that's roughly a 1 in 50 year event. We've had a few of those events in the 15 years this building has been standing and no flooding occurence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

D1 Ber rated bungalow in Kerry on 1.5 acres, 900k?

Just back from Italy. 900k would get a very very nice house there on the Italian riveria. How long can this last?

Advertisement