Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There aren't unlimited resources say to provide for parents who wish for example a Jedi ethos school beside them wherever they decide to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The first line is perfectly fair and logical. You not accepting it doesn't change that.

The secone line is intentionally absolue rubbish to point out that the line in the post I was responding to was absolute rubbish.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Or I want my nearest GAA club to accommodate Soccer.

Now THIS is absolute rubbish. And you know it. It might be accurate if they're was only one sports team in a 20-mile radius and it was Glasgow Rangers from the 70s.

*might* be.

Sounds like the point your making. Old legacy institution with a monopoly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Rubbish. Education is a fundamental, in fact a legal obligation. The child can play soccer, GAA or whatever, it is neither forced or dissuaded from it. What you are arguing is that only GAA should be available, and not only that but your child should be forced to go the club but made sit outside while the GAA training is going on.

But you, and the child have a choice. They have no choice in education. If sport were mandatory, they you can bet that the local GAA would not be given sole access to the playing fields

That is exactly what I said. Either provide unlimited resources to accommodate everyone, or don't discriminate anyone and so go without religion. The answer is obvious, if you take your religious hat off.

Imagine arguing on the basis of skin colour or gender. That is the level you are at. The child can be discriminated against because of the belief of their parents, something they have no control over. This is perfectly fine with you, you see nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Unless of course it was owned by the GAA ... oops ... isnt that the case with church run schools?

You remind me of a caller to a radio station who bemoaned the catholic church for not having weddings on sunday in a particular church. After a few minutes of ranting, he claimed that the churches will be much busier with weddings after divorce would be brought in. 🤭

So you've set the limit as to how far you would go to facilitate your childs needs. Well done. Mark in the sand - done.

Now, you know what they say about a school which caters for all needs? It actually caters for none. Thats what you want.

• Advertisement

Isn't the point of the thread? Allowing an old lagacy instutuion to maintain a monoply and exercise their will via discrimination, despite it's declining influential power?

Again, the GAA can do whatever it wants, it is not education. You seem to be missing that very important distinction.

While the kid may want to play soccer, that option isn't there but that is fine. But they are not forced to attend the GAA club and sit in a different room while the rest of the kids get to play.

Not sure about the GAA - do you have to be a catholic to join a GAA club...? I'd be very suprised if if so, but then, yes: the GAA.

Beyond that you haven't actually challenged my point (I haven't read the second paragrpah beyond "you remind me of...." because snetences that begin like that tend to be little more than personal attacks - either I am or I am not and it's not relevant)

---

Also, you still haven't addressed the point I made yesterday: what is the problem with a school catering for religious and non-religious students at the same time, with the State teaching the non-religious and the church teaching the religious kids in the same building at the same time?

You read my post, and you still cannot get what I meant?

I think you should give up.

I mentioned nothing about religion when it came to joining the local soccer team. The child joins the team and then decides they want to pick up the ball instead of playing it on the ground.

It was an analogy of someone going to a school where they know what's expected and what's given in terms of education and instruction, and then decides they dont like it and kick up when they don't get their way.

Join the club which caters for your needs.

Still don't understand? I know you don't.

Resources.

Also people want to be both included and excluded at the same time, be separated and not separated at the same time.

You can home educate.

You can go to non faith schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Exactly, but of course one can't draw attention to the growing sacred elephant sitting in the corner.

That would be modern day heresy.

I was born and bred catholic, normal rural Ireland one must give deference to the local priests.

I gave up believing the mullarkey even before I finished National school.

Too many holes in the arguments and even then was probably a sceptical cynical old fecker I suppose.

But I can see some good in religion, it often gives someone hope and something to believe in even when the worst of life hits them.

What is the old saying "there are no atheists in a foxhole".

Of course I can also see the harm in religion and for that matter in any group think that forces conformity, unquestioning loyalty and does not allow for open discussion.

Not alone did we have unquestioning loyalty to the catholic church, but we had a very dangerous mindset where we were not meant to question our betters.

In Ireland and indeed in a lot of other countries, some people and institutions were above reproach and as can be plainly seen this allowed the worst possible people to getaway with some of the worst possible crimes against the most vulnerable in society.

We have abandoned the catholic church, but have leaped headlong into following some other group thinks.

Why dispose of one overriding unquestioned faith to install others.

It is like an addict giving up heroin to go on crack.

For instance nowadays one faces censure and ostracisation for adopting questioning positions on say the trans agenda or on gender statements much like one faced censure and ostracisation for making the wrong statements on the catholic church in 1950s Ireland.

And it isn't just Ireland this is happening.

I have said this many times, kicking our old christian institutions and in particular the catholic church has become a sign of how modern or hip one is these days and the biggest mental gymnastics I see is the very same liberally minded are the excusors and welcomers of adherents to probably the biggest most backwards religion currently on the planet.

Yes you are, you will hide under such mantras as "they are not all the same", "they have done nothing bad here", "they are just normal people going about their lives", "all religions are just as bad", etc, etc.

You fail to acknowledge the overriding control, the absolutism, the completely backwards outlook and control following ancient creeds, the inbuilt unquestioned discrimination.

I just don't get it.

You can see a splinter in the eye of an old Irish catholic, but not the 2x4 in the eye of a guy listening to someone preaching hatred in Clonskeagh.

I am not allowed discuss …

I think you are missing that every thread that mentions the Church is about school places in the local school, not about the Church.

Of course, nobody is denying that. But is that right? Is it right that the education system carries out discrimination on religious grounds?

Would you accept it if it affected you? The local school should facilitate the education of pupils. Teaching them in one type of religion is not doing that. What would accept if the school became a SF/FG/FF party run school and held classes in how great the leader was? And if you didn't agree you were forced to go to a different school?

No, nobody would accept that. But somehow we accept that excluding kids, forcing others to go to different schools etc is perfectly reasonable because of religion

We have enough school places, it is just that a certain religious order wants to use those publicly funded spaces for their own ends.

• Advertisement

Well if it wasn;t abotu religion (as is the subject of the thread) can yes, I have misunderstood the analogy and can you please explain the anaology to me, or is it one that doesn't make sense and you won't admit it?

Why doesnt he play the sport that caters for his needs with the club?

But there are enough resorces to cater for all - THAT'S my point.

No one wants to be excluded or seperated - where do you get that idea? People just want different things - why is that such a deal-breaker?

What if theres only one school in the district. It's big enough to cater for all the kids, but it's all-girls school, but the school board says sorry - no boys unless they transition. And if they don't to transition then, then they just want to be seprated or excluded?

Or, to put it another posters way ah sure the boys are just being lazy.

Yes, I know that makes no sense - that's my point:

Segregation, exclusivitiy and prioritisation all make no sense when there is enough resources for all.

I or my kids have never gone to the nearest school. or the school assigned by "catchment".

I choose to do something about my choices.

There really aren't the resources to cater for every different thing people want. That's just ridiculous.

Separating State and Religion is a different issue.

I accept we don't live in a utopia - but my point is, we have the resources to give everyone the basics, don't we?

And if we don't, then what resources we DO have should be distributed evenly, should they not?

Why is iit a different issue?

Because separating religion and state isn't going to happen overnight. No matter how desirable that is. So you are left to deal with what resources you have not what you haven't.

If the local school is crap. I'm not going to wait 20yrs for it to become better school, and put music on the syllabus. I'm going to go somewhere else that does what I want now.

Well done you. You got to choose. What about the family living on low income, no car, no public transport. What then? There is a perfectly viable school down the road, but because you demand that the school help you with their religious education they are forced to travel.

Do you really think that is acceptable? I actually can't believe some of the responses on this thread. The lack of empathy for children is staggering. I'm all right Jack, screw everyone else seems to be the line.

I have still seen no justification for religion being in any school. It serves no purpose, except to give access to the church to young minds.

Get rid of it and there is no need for any solutions, because the problems all go away

I'm not justifying religion in schools.

I'm lambasting Parents who don't plan 4-5yrs ahead for school if they have strong opinions on it.

• Advertisement

So non religious should either move or get used to a commute purely so that some parents can subcontract their religious duties to teachers?

That or not have any kids of course. You do see the extremes you are going to don't you? Children have no say in the matter, yet are being told to suck it up?

Advertisement