Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Field east

It

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

why has Putin committed his whole military to Ukraine opening up to NATO unprotected paths direct to Moscow and st Petersburg?

Source on that claim?

If Russia has nukes which it will use to bomb any attackers of its soil then that also throws a spanner into any claims of being afraid of NATO

At some stage in the future there may be active defenses that intercept nuclear weapons, and every nuclear power is very aware of this possibility. Sure the US had nuclear weapons too, it didnt stop them drawing a red line at the USSR having missiles in Cuba. Nuclear weapons are a powerful deterrent but not the be all and end all. A nation cannot relax simply because they have them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭josip

That hasn't turned out very well for the cretin in the Kremlin now that Sweden and Finland have applied to join.

I agree, it hasn't. Regardless, expect espionage and frosty relations between Russia and Finland going forward if they succeed in NATO membership.

Post this war, it will be a decade of very poor relations between Europe and Russia (and its friends further east). We were warned by western diplomats for decades that NATO expansion eastward would be a "red-line" and that the Russians perceive it as an active threat - so this result was not surprising. Nor will the cold war-lite state of affairs for the next decade or more be surprising.

So you have no source saying the Russians have left Moscow and St Petersburg undefended? Right

There is no contradiction there, the point is that no country can relax because at some point in future the means to intercept nuclear weapons may well exist and they will simply be taken out of the equation, its for this reason the Russians (and the US and other "powers") all still consider territory and proximity to hostile neighbours as strategic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Field east

How come that Russia has threatened Ukr/ the world that ‘ all hell will break loose’ if Ukr is starting to think about/ making efforts to join NATO, yet Finland and Norway have their applications already lodged with NATO and apart from a small few expected comments from Putin, there has been total silence. So why the VERY DIFFERENT responses?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SomewhereInTheMiddle

Sorry, but you sound just like typical Ukrainian, who drunk with Ukro-propaganda.

Because you're painting everything into black-white colours, and seems you don't want to widen your mind just a little bit. Also you firmly believe like last hundred years Ukraine was a separate country and a great nation made out of different material than Russians (seems because of that there are so many Ukro-Russian and Russo-Ukrainian families in both countries, lots of relatives and others). Finally, so much hatred to all the Russians and blind proudness with Ukrainians.

For this reason, the Ukrainians (not just "Ukraine") will face the hard fate of deep complacency with their "nation" in future decades. This trait won't let you raise your country as you described above.

And Europe and the rest of the world will see what Ukraine really is.

Sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭josip

In this post it looks to me that what you are doing is reflecting. Every characteristic you apply to the Ukrainians, is actually what the Russians are actually doing. Have you watched your own state TV lately? Or is that more Ukrainian propaganda?

An estimated 75%, not 100% not undefended Moscow and St Petersburg.

Also if you had read my posts I explained that the threat of NATO on their border is less of an imminent threat and more of a long term threat - the real threat is when nuclear weapons are widely interceptable. So while they will keep pushing with hypersonic missile technology, eventually the defense mechanisms may catch up with them and then the nuclear deterrent is no longer a deterrent. If at this stage they have NATO on all their borders then they are in real trouble.

So why the VERY DIFFERENT responses?

I dont know, my direct line to the kremlin has been cut off by sanctions so I cant ask for you. 🙄

Maybe because of some historical attachment to Ukraine, maybe because strategically Ukraine is much more of a vulnerability than the Finnish border. Also its Finland and Sweden, not Finland and Norway

• Advertisement

I would like to learn your opinion first - why is it so? I'm sure you won't be able to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭glen123

Ukraine has  oligarchic system of its own. Poroshenko is a prominent oligarch. The man behind Zelenkiy's presindency is Kolomoisky (you can read on Privatbank saga and how it's all linked)

Russian set up looks painfully Soviet Union type (I cannot look at these old faces swollen from the drink sitting nodding to every single Putin's word) , and while Ukrainian set up sort of looks more modern (young faces in the government, newly elected president after each election and this is because people are so desperate, they are prepared to vote for anything as long as it's smth new that maybe, just maybe won't be as corrupt), differences are still minimal when it comes to the overall picture in both countries where an average citizen is concerned - wages are poor, standards of living too, corruption is through the roof.

I also agree with SITM - Crimea and the East of Ukraine are gone for good now. Not only because there is a lot of support for Russia there (only recently Alex Crawford of Sky News was interviewing people in one of the basements of Severodonetsk and people were refusing to leave - they were waiting to be freed by the Russians and a man crying of how he was called by a Ukrainian soldier a "separ", short for separatist) but also because of the anti Russian language moods in the West of Ukraine getting re-activated with the new force as well as growing opinions amongst the population like to hell with Crimean and Donbas - they are traitors, etc, let them go to mother Russia, we don't need them.

I am a Ukrainian from the West and this is what my lads (we are talking about educated people, teachers, etc) had been saying even before the big war started on the 24th - to hell with Crimea and Donbas. Not only they are saying this between themselves, they are spreading this around, in their work places like schools, universities - places where you can easily influence other people, especially, younger generation.

Nothing justifies what's happening right now and for me personally what's happening is very sad, but it's not just Putin's fault for sure even though I blame him first.

As for Crimea, having been on holidays there many times as a child and teenager, I also studied with the group of about 30 in the 90s - they came from Crimea to my university in the West. They were pretty different to us and the whole 5 years they stayed studying they struggled - they kept together as a group and only made friends with those that spoke Russian to them but they never really became part of our large student community and even after 5 years, they never learnt Ukrainian properly (only basics that they would use to buy goods in the shop). The minute they got their degrees, they went back to Crimea (not a single one stayed in the West). I've zero doubts that every single one of them voted to become part of Russia when the Referendum took place, especially after 5 years in my city (in the 90s nationalists were regularly flooding our main square with their anti Russian and pro Bandera slogans which was probably scary for an average Russian speaking from the East to watch). And this is younger generation we are talking about. Older generation is even worse when it comes to support for Russia and the return of Soviet Union. After all they are ethnically Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is there anyone on this thread who thinks that a nuclear exchange is unthinkable?

That the development of hypersonic missiles is making this moreso.?

This is madness.Even an exchange with NK could be a global catastrophe

Why are nuclear possibility mongers not just locked up for their own and our own good?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

I'm sorry but much of what you wrote is incomprehensible.

What on earth does this mean?

"For this reason, the Ukrainians (not just "Ukraine") will face the hard fate of deep complacency with their "nation" in future decades. This trait won't let you raise your country as you described above."

On the substantive point you made about Ukraine (at least this is what I understand you were addressing):

It is true that Ukraine only gained independence after the collapse of the Soviet Union; nonetheless it is a sovereign state which has the right to choose which alliances it joins, without the threat of war from it's more powerful neighbours.

Do you agree that Ukrainians have the right to choose the path for their country?

Hold on, sorry, but you've not finished. You said above: "Intelligent" Russians.

What can you say about the Russians themselves? Are they silly? Bad? Evil? Stupid? Elaborate on this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

If NATO were the concern, the 2022 invasion of Ukraine wouldn't have happened. NATO was "brain dead" according to the French, Finland & Sweden weren't joining, & Ukraine would never have been allowed in given its disputed borders with Russia etc.

Invading (the rest of) Ukraine changed (and was always guaranteed to change) all that - which the Russians would have fully understood (they aren't stupid).

Thank you for this informative post, it is interesting to hear a Ukrainian perspective on the horror that is unfolding there.

I fear you may be accurate about the loss of Donbass and Crimea to Russia, what is more worrying is that the occupation has taken vast swathes of territory in the east, along the Sea of Azov, and along the Black Sea. It is probable that Russia will no relinquish these gains either. Moreover, the Russians will likely try to take Odesa and surrounding areas as well.

All very pessimistic, I know, but the seizure of land is continuing with no end in sight.

Do you think that Ukraine will survive as an independent country after this horror ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

My god man. A quote from an "unidentified U.S. senior defense official" in the conservative National Review is the opposite of evidence. it is pure narrative affirming propaganda. Are you aware of how biased your sources are or do you just whack them in there hoping no one notices that they are written by the Pentagon?

Russia has over 1m soldiers and 2m Reservists. Do you honestly think there are 2.25 million Russians in the forests outside Sievierodonetsk?

I don't believe that a nuclear exchange is unthinkable unfortunately.

All I can hope is that, as Sting (The Police) sang: "I hope the Russians love their children too"

The Russians will not come close to Odessa. At best they hold they lands they currently have east of the Dnieper, along with Severodonetsk/Lisichansk. They will not get as far as Kramatorsk either in the east.

If they manage to close the encirclement around Lisichansk (which would take months more at this rate), thats about it. After that they dig in or negotiate.

• Advertisement

Yes, ironically it's the East that will suffer and not the West of the country where all the nationalists and Bandera supporters are. On the other hand, there is nothing in the West that may be worth going after for Putin and it'll be impossible to control afterwards.

Question however for many, especially vulnerable like pensioners and especially in the East is when this European prosperity is going to happen. People's incomes vs low prices were at its manageable (as sad as it is) under Yanukovich. From 2014 onwards it has all become one big mess. You see, us in the West - you'd struggle to find a family there that doesn't have someone working abroad supporting the rest of the family and this set up goes back to 90s. As a result, for many living there it isn't that hard to be wanting to become part of EU, be very vocal about this or that when once a month they get a chance to collect their additional income at the Western Union outlet sent to them by their parent working hard in the EU.

On the other hand in the Donbas region - in the first 20 years of Ukraine's independence you'd struggle to find a Ukrainian from there working abroad in Poland, Czech, UK, the US. They were all working locally driving the economy and probably had little time to be thinking about EU, etc. They were more interest in cheap utility bills and better wages.

This is how different the two regions are - we've been working (legally or illegally) in the EU since early 90s, they haven't. We think once we get into EU our teachers will be on 40k+, they are not so sure.

Older generation on both sides of the country, especially now, just wants a decent life, decent healthcare and I doubt they care under EU or under what else this happens. My mother's pension is 120$ per month. She broke a hip. Under free medical healthcare she was offered to be put into plaster and go home and die. This is what happens if you don't have $3k cash to pay for the operation. I am afraid, I may not live to see the prosperity one way or the other.

Everything should have been done to prevent this war from happening but very little was.

I didn't put quotes around the Intelligent word. So are you saying that Russians are not intelligent?

I didn't quote any claims from Russia. That would lack integrity. I would never quote anything from Russian sources as they have an agenda and a narrative to push just like every other belligerent in the conflict.

And you didn't back up any assertion. You basically posted a link of the que cards from Blinkens morning press conference's in March.

Honestly Dougal, this is very basic stuff. Do you think there are over 2.2 million Russians running around the forests of Ukraine? If you don't (and I hope you don't) then the "evidence" you provided is obviously nonsense.

It will survive as an independent country, I am sure. The problem is if it looses all the valuable territories and access to ports, what is it going to be like to live there?

In the year before the war nearly 2 million (if I remember correctly) left Ukraine to work abroad (mainly in Poland where wages aren't great). Now during the war even more left. Many will not return.

People in the West of the country haven't felt yet the real impact of the war (life goes on as normal there with weddings, parties etc). In 6-12 months time when they start feeling the effects of what's going on, they may start leaving the country too.

I struggle to see EU taking on such a liability and accepting Ukraine as a member. They'll keep helping financially, of course, with half of the money going into the pockets of our corrupt politicians and we'll go back to continue living like before the war but with way less territory.

I'd love to be like Arestovich guy (Zelenskiy's advisor) who every evening in his Youtube interviews is winning the war, but even if we do, is there a person or the willingness to bring the two parts of Ukraine together so that they could live together in peace and mutual respect for their cultural and language differences? I don't know such a person. Surprisingly even Russian speaking jew Zelenskiy (who only learnt Ukrainian right before the elections and never bothered with it before) didn't think it worth giving it a go.

"In 2010 the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) estimated that the Russian Armed Forces numbered about 1,027,000 active troops and in the region of 2,035,000 reserves (largely ex-conscripts)."

Support in Kherson would be apprx 50/50. It's a farming region, pretty self sufficient. They may just decide to get on with their lives and not bother to try and breakout from under the Russians. I'd imagine at the moment they are simply busy working as it cannot wait until winter))

🤣 Broken CD-player?

I've explained that already. I told you - "Explaining only one time. Only for you". Remember? Please find that message and re-read. I've carefully explained my vision regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

@correct horse battery staple

That would be nice.He would suffer the fate of Caesar's enemies - the People's general /sarc.

Unlike his apparent hero Bony the First it would be Vlad the Last(twinned with Ceacescu let us hope)

• Advertisement

What an unidentified general in the National Review claims Russia has on paper and what Russia has in reality is very different.

Russia is slowly taking town after town while the Ukrainians throw what's left of their poor conscripted soldiers into the front line. Once Lysychansk is surrounded in the next week or two you will see a very different conflict. Zelensky is gambling a lot of men on a doomed defence of this town.

Advertisement