Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two motorcyclists killed today on M50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Amazing how people manage to blind themselves to the reality of road deaths and injuries.

The majority of road deaths and injuries involve cars, vans and trucks, not motorcyclists, certainly not eBikes or scooters.

So if you want to ban anything for safety reasons, ban cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I've giving this stat earlier in thread, for every 52 cars there is 1 motorcycle.

That was from 2014, don't believe it has changed much since then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's overly simplistic to the point where i feel dumber for having to point this out.

more people die in bath related accidents than in stabbings in ireland, so we should ban baths and not stabbing knives.

There was a big IF in there. I'm not really calling for banning anything, but if you did want to bang the ban hammer, the evidence would suggest that you'd start with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would be nice to see exactly what happened, i always fine the most valuable lessons are near misses I've had myself or something I saw myself. Obviously not much can be done in certain situations, but it would be a good resource to read exactly how certain crashes happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

It sounds like the driver made a crazy manoeuvre it would be difficult to anticipate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭horse7

Apparently they were 2 UK riders on holiday who,s bikes touched each other resulting in the riders falling off their mounts and then the truck 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Hard facts are you have very little protection on a motorbike .

What percentage of vehicles on the road are motorbikes ? 2% at a guess , and then what percentage of road deaths are motor bikers? 20%

The Isle of Man had 3 people killed in their competition FFS !

It must be on life assurance policies at this stage, do you drive a motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Its a bit insensitive using a thread about the death of 2 bikers on the motorbike forum to make cracks about people having a motorbike question on their life insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭TheRona

This is always the problem. No matter how careful you are, you can't anticipate everything. Even this morning, I almost had a collision with a car pulling out of an unsighted driveway as I was going along a 30km road with speed humps. Even at that low speed, if they hadn't stopped just in time, I would have been in trouble. It was early enough, around 6am, so they probably don't really expect much in the way of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hard facts are you have very little protection on a motorbike .

What percentage of vehicles on the road are motorbikes ? 2% at a guess , and then what percentage of road deaths are motor bikers? 20%

If you wish to go down this avenue, what percentage of those killed or injured were as a direct result of someone driving a car/van/truck/bus/etc?

The Isle of Man had 3 people killed in their competition FFS !

What has motorsport got to do with this discussion? Many sports are dangerous - why are you not mentioning these? It would imply that you are simply trolling.

It must be on life assurance policies at this stage, do you drive a motorbike!

Why? By that logic, so too should "do you cycle or walk on public roads?" but again the danger is not generally from the actions of the person on the motorbike - it is as a result of a driver's actions.

However, I really would prefer if you don't reply to my post as you're deliberately trying to be confrontational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was on the M50 last night, traffic moving at about 100kph, I'd moved to lane 3 to overtake and while doing so had an Audi on my reg plate. I moved back in after overtaking and the driver then sat on the back of the next car. Anyone would think they were in a BTCC race. Tailgating a motorbike on a damp road is w anchor behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm not a biker but in fairness the sound of a monster engine in a bike is a beautiful thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you mean the engine note you'd get on something like a harley? to be fair, they are a little less obnoxious than the high pitched high revving engines on sportier motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm sorry, but my first proper road bike was a 1991 Kawasaki ZXR-250. Hitting the redline on near on 20k RPM had it screaming like an F1 car. No better sound. My parents could hear that I was coming to visit for dinner 5 mins before I arrived 😂

yeah, that's the sort of sound i meant when i said obnoxious.

That must have been so exciting for all the neighbours.

Noise from road traffic alone is the second most harmful environmental stressor in Europe, behind air pollution, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). The harmful effects of noise arise mainly from the stress reaction it causes in the human body, which can also occur during sleep. These can potentially lead to premature death, cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, sleep disturbance, hypertension and, at the least, annoyance.

I very rarely visited them, and we had no neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I think anyone that has had to do motorcycle training to get their license. After also having to train and complete a driving test for a car/van are far more trained, disciplined and safer than the over arching majority of car drivers.

Why? because training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Good point on the training. There's also the enthusiast element. I mean enthusiast almost to a professional driver level.

Most car drivers aren't car enthusiasts, they may think they're great drivers but they don't aspire to be the best drivers they can be, it's a means to get around. However, the motorbike riders tend to have a knowledge on their machines, how they drive and what they're capable of. I bet you all of you know how many cylinders your bikes have, what the BHP is, what conditions are unsuitable for it and what brand of tyre suits it best. The bikes tend to be well maintained too.

Your average car driver won't know that stuff and without the NCT a lot will drive around with defected tyres, brakes & suspension.

Loud cans don't bother me unless I'm on a cycle bike, then they can give me a good fright but most decent bikers tend to clutch in going by me.

RIP to the road victims. My thoughts are with their families, it's a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

I'd second that, and add perspective. I've cycled around Dublin for years, driven cars and vans for years and now I ride a motorbike too. Having the experience of all those vehicles has increased my knowledge and given me a great perspective to hopefully have a lifetime of safe biking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Also I don't know many car drivers who went on to do further training. My first text after passing my bike test was to my instructor saying 'what's next sensei', waiting to dona RoSPA test now

also (and i say this not as a motorcyclist) being exposed to other people's bad driving to a greater extent than most, i suspect gives you a better grasp of what does count as good driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

Great analysis and i think that's exactly what happened, driver was doing something other than looking at the road ahead, though of course few would admit that. He hadn't driven regularly for a few years, had company in the car, unfamiliar roads, visiting and taking in the sights.

Accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

How many motorcycles have you driven and for how long to achieve that level of insight???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The loud pipes stop morons from walking out in front of an oncoming bike.

I've a hybrid car that goes into electric mode in built up areas and the amount of people that walk out onto road without looking is insane.

Its like pedestrians need to do a test before being allowed out near traffic. 🙊

Id take a bit of noise pollution over someone getting knocked down.

... Or just look where you're going, and anticipate things? If you need to have an audible warning to everyone that you're about to enter the street, then you need to look at your driving ability.

I've a Yamaha TDM900, and it makes feck all noise (thankfully). Before that, a Benelli BN251 (also quiet enough). I'm new to bikes (only at it about 4 months) and so far not had a single issue with anyone 'not hearing me' and walking in front of me, or drivers cutting across me (or at least, no more so than I'd experience when driving my car). Perhaps it's cos I'm new to bikes that I'm more aware of my surroundings, but as I say, if you need a warning message that you're approaching, you're doing something wrong.

So the fact that they made dipped headlights compulsory on motorbikes at all times is because the bike riders are doing something wrong?

You're very new to the game. Give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ah stop talking stupid now.

Have I knocked down anyone in 34 years on the road.

I get my driving assessed every two years for work so my driving is looked at on a regular basis.

Had it done less than 3 weeks ago and the assessor told me if anyone ever tells me I'm a bad driver he'll even hand in his own keys.

I better ring him up and tell him the bad news...... or wait maybe it's just some guy on the internet talking through his hole.

And yeah I know what bikes you have and had.

It was me the suggested the tdm to you.

You better sell it quick as I know nothing and you know it all.

Advertisement