Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Superintending 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just got out of the car in Tallaght and I am back behind all the same people, in person this time, in a queue to get into the building! This is beyond ridiculous. There will be some who definitely turn away today and say 'feck that'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

This is some massive scuaine in front of me in Tallaght. A fire brigade just arrived for the craic and the guys are getting out. The only question I have is do I have to arrange for my kids to be collected at 2pm by somebody else at this late stage. Why is something similar happening in other collection points like Castleknock?

PS: The queue is now starting far further back than it was when I was at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

All very organised so far at the Talbot Hotel Clonmel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

My pick up was 9am in Tallaght and it was already chaos. I arrived at 8.30 but they didn’t let us into the building until about 930. Very disorganised inside then as well. As I was leaving about 10:30 the car park was full and cars were queuing all the way out to the main road to get in.

Absolute shambles from start to finish.

Queue to get to the basketball arena

Queue to get a carpark space

Queue to get inside

Queue to get white envelope

Queue to get examination boxes.

Lads helping with the carrying of the boxes were playing an absolute blinder though

Queue to leave the distribution centre

And then the unfortunate queue to leave the hellhole because of the ambulance. They are very very lucky that ambulance was even able to get in.

Get to my centre to discover that nobody except for one man was given any security seals. He didn't even have enough to share with us all and that was with only putting one tag on the boxes, which is pointless really.

Quality of stuff in boxes is poorer than in previous years (ink pads v cheap, stamps are raggedy) - it speaks volumes about how much importance the junior cert is regarded with.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Hontou

No seals or ink pad in my stationery box today. Can't leave advice slips, centre roll etc in it as a result. Got a text about it ......they are delivering seals later in the week. Parking problems in Athlone today too but all running smoothly inside. Mileage payment the same as last year, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Hearing reports of a school that only got the Irish version of the day to day instructions. No tags either. Absolute nightmare being had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Complete shambles in Castleknock. If it was raining I would say there would have been a national crisis, as many would have just turned away!

some important bits missing in my envelope too, including the General Instructions

Shortage of seals in our school too. It was flagged with us at training that we might be short and to make do with what other Superintendents had but we weren't expecting to have none when we opened the boxes.

Not a great start but hopefully all else will run smoothly.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Seems according to press there is a shortage of people to correct? Any particular reason for this outside or how boring it is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Depending on what your own level of income is the tax makes it hardly worthwhile.
    • Depending on how many re-works of the marking scheme happen you could be re-marking the same papers for no extra money.
    • The late payment.
    • In some cases the early deadlines are very tight.
    • Some advising examiners take the piss and text/email instructions very late at night or early in the morning.
    • People's previous experiences of examining are not always positive.
    • In the past you were never really given any sense that the SEC valued you.

It's 7days a week and depending on the subject can be very long days. LC English for example begins 27th June and doesn't finish until 25th July. That's a long enough commitment.

SEC inspections - they exist! 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Treppen

And they are short staffed eh !

My experiences of Tallaght Arena was always military precision.

Its should be obvious to everyone now it's a setup so that teachers are going to be blamed and roll on teacher in house assessment.

I applied once and backed out. Once it went online id never do it as in English you'd get a variety of different texts because as far as I know it's no longer exams from one school.

I think it takes a person who can handle those long days.

It's just a bit surprising with cost of living etc that the usual shortage has increased.

Though there are easier ways to make money in my opinion. They should pay you a good bit more after 2 years.

As to whether they are cynically running the system down i really doubt that.

Lads, this superintending is really starting to not be worth it.

Still no security seals in our place. Using cable ties from my car boot.

38 in my centre and an additional 5 separate centres, with 5 different sep. centre attendants to deal with.

SEC have made quite a few errors and there is contradictory instructions in gen instructions and day-to-day

With JC there are less days so less money.

I don't know if it's Covid or just the school I'm in, but they seem to need guidance on exam etiquette too

I know it's only day one, so we will see, but this is just not feeling worth the hassle this year. May be my final rodeo

Anyone have a PDF of the day to day instructions please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Near same here 36 in my JC centre - with 7 special centres - each with a special attendant. 2 students were down as higher - gave them the higher for the DP to come running in 3 mins into the exam with letters for them to take ordinary! Absolute madness.

Day -to-Day instructions contradict general instructions a lot.

• Advertisement

You'd swear the state exams had last been conducted a decade ago the way some are handling it

Teachers have been targeted, hounded and generally treated like **** by the media and some facets of the general public in a much more obvious way since the pandemic began. Some people are so burned out from the constant negativity that they've simply had enough.

Who dictates how large a centre can be? I would've thought similar ratios to classrooms would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I don’t think the day-to-day have ever been available in a PDF. Loads of bits and pieces missing in stationery boxes and errors on centre rolls etc. but common sense approach always best to follow in schools with exams, once the integrity of exams are protected

I have 45 in my LC centre and 2 in special centres. I found it really hard going today with such a large number.

Centres seem to all be very large this year.

Teachers should not take the media too seriously. They will never love you and simply want to sell paper's

Pretty much all education editors never had a background in education.

The fact we haven't heard anything about discipline in the last ten years says it all. In the media.

In the end underfunding still is a major issue particularly for kids with autism etc but we only hear about that when somebody gets on prime time.

The only block on the bullshit express of the department and the media is the unions and in a strange way underfunding.

However most members won't strike which doesn't help.

However the department won't fund department heads in subjects or rolling inspections so that is a small grace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Layne

Do the SEC still give an initial payment to superintendents a week or so into the exams with the remainder paid later in the Summer??

Also when did superintendents get final payment in the past few years.

Haven't done it in a few years until this year so out of touch a little.

No advance payments anymore. But you also don't have the pay the attendant anymore, school does that now.

I got paid about 5 weeks after finishing last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I've 19 in my LC centre. The biggest LC in our school seems to be 24. Not sure about the Juniors. Depends if a school has space to fit a certain amount of desks in one place I suppose.

Just checking last year's payment as a guideline for this year. I sent my form in on 25 June, and the SEC had a superintendent payment in my account on 22 July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Anyone know the SEC employers tax registration number?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Motor rates from last year. No change

Can LC students who are in special centres complete the Irish aural in their main centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

That's amazingly fast compared when compared to correcting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My understanding is that they can complete all or any of their exams in the main centre but they have the option of the special centre for all exams. I requested extra day to day instructions for the special centres for the aurals as there's a lot of instructions for them.

I sent my forms in the day after we finished and was paid 19 August.

I was also left short of money I was promised for doing an extra (very ) early morning pickup due to someone else dropping out.

My advice is, if there is anything unusual about your work, extra pickup, extra days, different centre, DO NOTHING unless you have any of their promises in writing.

This is correct, but I believe the specific issue here is that the Irish aural is, unlike MFL, all part of the one paper. (Paper 1 I believe)

So, the Irish exam begins with the aural, then the CD finishes and the written immediately begins.

Issues that arise as a result:

1. Disruption in the main centre as candidates leave.

Solution? If managed correctly, there is minimal disruption.

2. Candidates being allowed to leave the center with a live paper in their possession

Solution? Ensure their separate centre attendants are at the main centre and ready to take the exam papers into their custody until they get their candidates back to the separate centre

3. The time lost moving from the main back to the separate centre

Solution? The candidates get that extra time at the end.

Some schools may not have the required number of CD players to facilitate aural exams in separate centres. Yes they should be prepared, but SEC have been approving RACE up to as late as the night before exams and that can leave some schools in a bind.

They have to sit the whole of the exam in the same location e.g. main centre or special centre. They can't move once it starts.

Yeah I thought as much. Just means double checking audio in another 8 rooms tomorrow.

Appreciate your advice in advance on this.

A close relative just passed away this morning. I would like to continue Superintending LC until the end - June 28.

When funeral details are finalised would need 2 hours approx off on morning of funeral. I would be able to set up the exam centre and supervise the first hour or so. Would just need someone to see out rest of exam and collect answer booklets from students and store securely until I return for afternoon exam.

My question is should I contact SEC directly and immediately or should I wait until I make contact with the school in the hope that they might be able to come up with a local arrangement. I will be in the school today dropping off LC exam papers.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

I would say see can you sort something out locally and then ring Athlone and say this is the situation, but I have a solution.

This is what I would do too.

They allowed for local arrangements as such last year when superintendents had to get vaccinated.........

Thanks for the advice Spurious and Bananaleaf. I did what you advised and it worked out really well.

Rang State Exams first thing to give them the heads up and said I was working with the school to find a local solution. State Exams seemed fine with that.

With the help of the Exam Aides in the school I located a superintendent who was free and willing to cover me for the day of the funeral.

Went back to State Exams with this solution and they had no problem with it. Tbf was nervous ringing the State Exams, thought they might go into immediate panic mode but they were very calm, supportive and patient.

Anyways, appreciate the advice.

I just got an advance. I thought the days of the advance were over

Me too. On both counts. Some good news of a Friday for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Oh weird, I wonder if there is an advance for the correcting too.

That €312 payment was out of a gross of €600 so 48% deducted before we get paid. Not exactly incentivising people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Tax has to be paid, and it's far less complicated to pay people for what amounts to 5 days supervision which is probably the minimum length of any centre, rather than not tax it and take it all off the remainder. People will have varying expenses.

I took a photo of my Superintendent's Form of Account last year to save me googling kms, etc again this year and I'm just noticing that they haven't raised the motor travel rates at all, despite fuel being so much more expensive now.

• Advertisement

yes, I posted a photo of last year's claim form a while back - it's a few posts up.

No increase for fuel. The advance has always been taxed though. Some people seem to think that's a new thing, but it's not.

Advertisement