Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

You honestly trust American Intelligence? The American intelligence that came up with WMD's? The American Intelligence who fooled Zelensky into thinking that they had his back?

They're selling stories to keep people believing that Ukraine have a shot at beating Russia. Its not their men who are dying. Its their arms manufacturers that are milking this propaganda. Its a win win for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Your claim was that the Russians committed their entire forces to Ukraine leaving themselves completely undefended from Moscow and St Petersburg to the borders.

When called on to provide proof of said claim, you could only post an article from the National Review quoting unnamed sources which claims 75% of forces are involved in Ukraine. Which already refutes your claim.

It was nothing but hyperbole and bluster from yourself and yet you cant admit you were wrong.

Like..The Americans admitted on CNN a few weeks ago they were training the Ukrainians for this war for 8 years..there's footage of John Mccain saying they would go on the offensive in 2018 etc..that Arestovych guy (a fairly sinister individual tbh) said in 2018 that in 2021-2021 they'd go to war with Russia to get into Nato..

This war is a result of years of provocation around red lines that were set out 20 years ago..

And please, calm down with the "shithole" stuff..Ukraine is a shithole too..you just come across as childish..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's "footage", just none you can actually provide. Any footage provided on examination will show you've deliberately taken it out of context to deceive.

Take this pack of lies to the conspiracy theory forum where it belongs.

Russia invaded Ukraine, another soveriegn country. Ukraine can provoke Russia, but you don't allow Ukraine to be provoked by Russia in training to defend itself against illegal invasions and occupations.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Ahem what?

Did Ukraine invade Russia in 2017? or 2018? You can't even get your lies straight.

Ukraine will go on the offensive - in 2017. Clearly talking about driving out Russian forces still fighting in Donbas region in violation of Minsk agreements.

Russia started this war when they invaded Ukranian sovereign territory in Crimea and sent Russian military into Donbas. Territory they recognised as Ukranian in the Budapest agreement.

Ukraine as a sovereign nation has the right to join NATO. It was the invasion by Russia of Crimea that propelled them along a path they might otherwise not have taken. If you want to know why Ukraine wants to join NATO, it is obvious. Because it is their only way to be free of Russian domination.

As predicted, your posts are nothing more than out of context information deliberately misrepresented to deceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

And yet, who invaded Crimea? Who invaded Ukraine? I'll give you a clue, the answer is not Ukraine.

C'mon, you can do this, I give you three guesses, you can even google the answer, there's a good chap.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

You constantly ask for evidence and when incontrovertible evidence is supplied as above you fly off on different tangents to distract. Its pointless debating with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

Perhaps I am misreading your intent with this post, but it appears to be gloating about the likely destruction and occupation of Ukrainian towns and cities such as Lysychansk, with the consequent suffering and deaths of innocent people.

If that's the case, your post is disgusting and sickening.

If I'm misreading the post, what is your intent?

Nothing could be further from the truth. What disgusts me is that young and old Ukrainian men are getting sent to certain death and injury in their thousands in a battle that cant be won. The extra men he is throwing in as cannon fodder to keep the optics up is also disgusting. There was no counter offensive as reported last week. His frontline visit last week just smacks of desperation to keep the lie alive.

Negotiations are the only way forward not more cannon fodder. But none of you want to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

Lots of warnings being given out. SomewhereInTheMiddle, CQD, correct horse battery staple, odessy06, BurgerFace and Pussyhands have all been posting well below the standards of civility, content and debate that are required by the charter. There are a lot of allegations being made on thread that should be reported instead.

Bans are imminent for these posters if they persist in derailing the thread and it will be no excuse to point to another poster's behaviour if you are also involved in derailing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Looking at this link, we are very much seeing point 3 in action on this very thread:

Fact 3: military aggression is just one element of Russian hybrid warfare against Ukraine

Military aggression is just one element of the Russian hybrid warfare against Ukraine. Other elements encompass:

1) propaganda based on lies and falsifications; 2) trade and economic pressure; 3) energy blockade; 4) terror and intimidation of Ukrainian citizens; 5) cyber attacks; 6) a strong denial of the very fact of war against Ukraine despite large scope of irrefutable evidence; 7) use of pro-Russian forces and satellite states in its own interests; 8) blaming the other side for its own crimes.

We should not lose sight of this and nevermind the people who have spend countless hours and wrote hundreds, if not thousands of words trying to convince us that Ukraine is to blame for this war or should have surrendered immediately. Who would spend hours upon hours writing endless reams of text, trying to desperately convince us otherwise? Just one piece of advice guys. Don't accept payment in Roubles. Whatever you're selling guys, it doesn't matter if you write the equivalent of the Library of Alexandria every hour for the rest of eternity, we're not buying it. If you do nothing else for the rest of your lives, we're not buying it.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Agreed that negotiations are needed to halt the destruction, killing and maiming being inflicted by the Russian military on civilians in their own towns and cities.

But how do you negotiate with a mass murderer?

The infamous phrase used by an Irish politician in a different context, springs to mind: "Don't feed the crocodile"

Would you turn around if you were succeeding in your objectives albeit at a slow pace?

+1 to this ^

The war in Ukraine is 100% Russia's making.

No one else, absolutely no one, bears any responsibility for the destruction, maiming, torture, killing and horror being suffered by the innocent Ukrainian people.

The idea that all Russian actions to date are based on the whims of a mass murderer is pretty delusional.

Were Putin actually that unhinged so as to want to invade Ukraine simply to rack up the bodycount he would have been removed from power long ago, or else he would have deployed actual weapons of mass destruction. But yet neither of those have occurred.

The Russians have strategic and or political goals in mind, whether they will achieve them is doubtful, but the idea that any negotiation couldnt work because of Putin as a mass murdered is simply false. I dont know what the price would be from either side to agree peace terms, but every man and every nation have their price.

See this is all very emotive language peppered with unproven falsehoods. You wouldn't be allowed at the negotiating table with that kind of talk.

What is most likely to happen when negotiations finally begin is what should have happened before the invasion. Ukraine will commit to Neutrality. But instead of having the Donbass as an autonomous region within Ukraine as was stipulated in the Minsk Agreements there is a huge risk that Ukraine will now become a land locked rump state.

The US doesn't care about Ukraine. It just pretends to. It is a mercurial power. Look at the way they u turned on Venezuela and started crawling to Maduro for oil. They use smaller countries for their own benefit. And Ukrainians are the ones fitting the bill for this particular benefit.

You are mistaken. I did not claim that Putin is unhinged.

Putin launched the Russian army across the border with unspecified war aims, other than vague "de-nazification".

The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) verified a total of 4,169 civilian deaths during Russia's military attack on Ukraine as of June 1, 2022. Of them, 268 were children. Furthermore, 4,982 people were reported to have been injured. However, OHCHR specified that the real numbers could be higher.

The deliberate killing of 4169 innocent people, in my opinion, constitutes mass murder.

Ergo, Putin is a mass murderer.

Edit:

Death toll taken from:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1293492/ukraine-war-casualties/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is absolutely no chance of Ukraine committing to Neutrality unless it is backed up by NATO/Western forces. Which would be joining NATO in all but name anyway. They are obviously not going to allow Russia regroup and just come back 5-10 years later. Also the idea of Russia somehow capturing Odessa seems borderline laughable given the state of affairs over the last month so the chances of them being a "land-locked rump state" are negligible.

Also what happened to the Russian claims of denazification in all this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Ukraine were a de facto member of NATO they wouldn't be in this mess. Unfortunately for them they remain a long way away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

so sad to see the bread basket of the world turned into the basket case of the world, is this the price of decommunization?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

The was pretty much the plan all right..the economic sanctions etc would bring the Russian economy to its knees (the ruble is rubble etc) and mean the end of Putin..

When things didn't play out that way the West have been scrambling to save face, shooting themselves in the foot economically as a consequence..

lol that's pretty much the 2 polar opposite possiblities - russia loses and is balkanised and its territory taken, or russia wins and Ukraine cedes Donbass, Crimea. Not exactly narrowing it down.

How does any of that make negotiations impossible? Your original claim was a platitude of "how do you negotiate with a mass murderer"?

The answer then, is the same as anyone else. This particular mass murderer is acting in the interests of his country whatever they may be, and like any 2 parties in war there will exist a price that they would agree to peace for.

I imagine they would agree to stop with Crimea canal, crimean land bridge, and donbass (all of luhansk, most of donetsk). They have total control over sea of azov, water supply to crimea, and an easier to defend border slightly. As well as Ukraine's industrial east (they already did have really, DPR/LPR were Russian-backed separatist states)

To paraphrase Darth Putin, nothing speaks to Russia's commitment to denazification more than its treatment of its Jewish members.

Moscow's chief rabbi leaves Russia after regime demanded he support war in Ukraine.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/06/8/7351228/

"Civilised World". I think in this day and age you should not be using that phrase. Some millennial will bite your neck off for that if you're not careful.

Only about 15% of the world are behind the sanctions being imposed. The rest of "uncivilised" world (Brazil, India, China, Africa) etc countries don't view Putin in Russia in the "Dr Evil" way we in the west have been trained to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

Definitely, that will definitely keep him happy.I am sure they will be more polite next time too.

Save the rape ,pillage and genocide for countries outside Europe I expect.

I knew we could all just get along

I would not pay any attention to the Russian Duma - their actions are of very little consequence. After all, you yourself said that Russia was an "authoritarian shithole", if thats the case why would the Russian Duma dictate anything that happens? And certainly not at the highest level such as military invasions. Far too democratic a process for an authoritarian shithole, wouldnt you agree?

Perhaps I don't follow your (rather condescending, in my opinion) logic.

What does this mean:

"Your original claim was a platitude of "how do you negotiate with a mass murderer"?"

Platitude? How is a straightforward question a "platitude"?

Examples from European history suggest that negotiations with killers rarely end well.

Bosnia Herzegovina is an example, trying to deal with Mladic, Karadic or Milosovic merely prolonged the murder, until NATO bombed Belgrade.

The question originally posted is unanswered, how do you negotiate with Putin?

Can you imagine the Russian Duma doing anything that might remotely resemble criticism of Putin or Russian actions?

By the same token, if the Russian Duma are doing this, it must have tacit approval from those that dictate to it.

So it is a weather vane of how the Russian regime wants to be seen.

• Advertisement

This is very frightening, it brings to mind 1930's Germany

Advertisement