Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 housing units planned for Kindlestown area

Options
  • 29-04-2022 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Close to Lidl opposite the cemetery..

I honestly cannot see how this can be feasible, the town is simply full, 600 houses = 1,000 cars on roads that are already past capacity. 600 kids for schools that are already full... this will be as big a development as charlesland so 2-3 years of construction works with massive trucks carrying materials over the Bray-Greystones road all day

https://www.greystonesguide.ie/neary-urges-coolagad-submissions/

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is too much traffic for such a small road in my opinion. As usual greed overrules common sense.

Every square inch of what was a quiet costal village in the 1980’s is being built on. Greystones is rapidly becoming a large congested town. It is a truly lovely place but I feel it’s charm is gradually being eroded.

Greystones has already completed merged with Delgany village, Killincarrig and Charlesland. Before long it will also consume Kilcoole.

I was in the fields near Glenroe open farm in Kilcoole recently and I could not believe how close the Hawkins Wood cranes were to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Why can't everyone go and live in Co Carlow or Kilkenny or further afield?

Or better yet, go and live in the UK like everyone did in the 70s and 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I really think it's shocking that they are putting loads of houses there, in your back yard. Really they should go in someone else's. I mean after all don't that know you're all right, which is the most important thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Maybe they should go somewhere that has or can have the roads and infrastructure to support them. We have been down the road of building houses without any sort of a plan, safe to say that didn't work out well.

These homes on this little road already has too much traffic on it. Whereas Hawkins Wood which really is almost the same "back yard" is very well served by roads.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm my opinion the developers are getting away with murder. They are being encouraged to squeeze as many units as possible into their land banks and there is no provision being allowed for all the extra traffic, whether that be private, public, commercial, pedestrian or cycling.

And sticking a cycle path onto a footpath and reducing the existing road width isn't sufficient.

• Advertisement

It is not the developers fault that there are no roads, schools, shops - it's the planners and politicians fault for not having a proper action plan for developping infrastructure to support the population growth. Top level five/ten year plans all show the population growth and define where the growth will be but then the next level of planning is ignored and left blank

The government having planned for population growth, then fails completely to put in place the infrastructure to support the development needed to house, school, feed, nurse, etc etc the citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

It's been like that for years. Huge developments built around Dublin with nothing but houses - no schools, creche, miles away from shops, hospitals and bus routes. Isn't that what happened to small towns and villages all around the north and west of Dublin plus most of the neighbouring counties, lots of houses with thousands of extra people but no facilities or local employment opportunities. The extra three quarters of a million in the population in the past ten years need somewhere to live but they need services too, it's a crazy situation.

Agreed, it is crazy and something needs to be done urgently. What we need to avoid is building anywhere and everywhere with out any sort of a descent plan. We have been down that road before and it didn’t work out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

pull the ladder up behind you ​DEFINITIONS AND SYNONYMS

DEFINITIONS

1. to prevent other people from enjoying the opportunities or advantages you enjoyed
    2. I can assure you I never pulled the ladder up after me, I always put out a helping hand to those coming through.

planning contingent on getting roads upgraded, ill buy that. but NIMBYs gonna nimby.

Exactly. Unfortunately in this case it is not possible to upgrade the road.

As I don’t live in Greystones or Delgany it won’t be anywhere near my backyard.

• Advertisement

It is always possible to upgrade a road - whether it is politically feasible or economic is a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭prunudo

Absolutely, I don't blame the developers, they will build on every square inch they can to increase their profits. The planners and authorities should be stipulating more space set aside for transport. But even on a wider area, not just individual developments, I see no grand plan for how the residents of Greystones/Delgany are to get around in the future. I dread to see how bad the traffic will be in the mornings on Windgates in the years ahead.

Of course, if we do not want to increase our national spending on providing more infrastructure such as schools, roads, shops, hosiptals, there is always the option used in the 1950s, 1970s and 1980s when we "exported" our surplus populations to the UK, Europe, America, Australia and New Zealand

Use any term you like, the bottom line is we know it won’t happen. That is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're literally building a new secondary school in Charlesland, and they've just opened a large new primary school there. IDK if there is sufficient school capacity but it's not true to say nothing is happening (they probably need to build a secondary in Newtown as well).

Roads - there are plans for a new link to the N11 over the side of Coolagad, but TBH building more roads is not what we should be doing anyway and the N11 upgrade has been postponed.

The Dart is likely to be upgraded via the Dart+ project but the details won't be released until later this year and it will take at least 5 years.

AFAIK the lands at Coolagad are the last big residential-zoned land-bank in the area so there's likely to be a pause in major development in the next development plan. (though the Coolagad SHD doesn't include all the zoned lands, so there's likely to be more house on the land behind Waverley and Sea Green)

All good stuff.

However, none of the above charges the fact that the road that will serve the houses that this thread is about is insufficient for the current traffic levels. Now the plan is to substantially increase the number of cars on it. This will cause chaos on that tiny road and possibly worse.

• Administrators Posts: 53,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What tiny road do you mean?

As far as I remember, part of this development is the construction of a new road, which is intended to be the first phase of a new roadway through to the N11. This road will start pretty much directly opposite the cemetery.

The “tiny road” is the backroad to Delgany.

• Administrators Posts: 53,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There’ll be no access to these houses via that road as far as I know.

Also that road is due to be upgraded. I think it’s part of the Eastmount development. The main road will go through eastmount rather than round by the school.

As far as I know it’s to be widened as far as the Delgany roundabout.

I don’t think that it is possible to widen that road. Even though many of the houses off it have not been completed / occupied the road has too much traffic on it.

It’s good to hear that the 600 additional homes will not directly contribute to the traffic on this road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it is being widened, work starting this year - the whole road will be similar to the road past Lidl with cycle lanes on both sides.

As awec said, the section through Eastmount (which bypasses the bit in front of Laurence's school) is being built by the developers there and looks ready to go, the sections either side are being done by the council. The CPO notices for that were in the papers recently.

You are the second person to say that these changes will be made so I assume you are correct. I am glad that this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Looks like work has started in the land for this development...

I see what they are doing but serious bottlenecks will remain. I don’t think this road should have anything like that volume of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

The census is supposed to be for planning for families schools hospitals doctors surgeries etc. Doesnt seem to work at all a waste of time. They obviously use it to harvest data and sell it on they certainly dont use it for planning the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrybyrne

Is this development still going ahead? I thought it was blocked because of planning issues.

Advertisement