Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weather in London won't be too bad over the next few weeks, certainly alot dryer than Ireland and most of the UK over the next few weeks, even in bad summers London and the SE generally escapes the bad weather. However I don't think London will be as warm as recent summers although the odd very hot plumey day is very likely. London may also get some very cool days like what they had on Sunday if the bands on rain make it that far south.

The best we can hope for in Ireland over the next few weeks is a few isolated dry days here and there and make the most of any dry interludes that arise. It will be one of those Junes. I'm still feeling hopeful we shall see an improvement for July with a build in high pressure, even if just for 3 or 4 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at the GFS over the next 2 weeks, it won't just be Ireland and the UK under relatively cool conditons. Things don't look great for much of Portugal and northern Spain, could be very cool there also compared to what they usually get. Scandinavia also looks mostly chilly. Northern France and the low countries as well as northern Germany may also be prone to the cool Atlantic airmass at times as well as northerly shots.

To safely escape the wrath of the Atlantic probably best to head to southern Spain, Italy or Greece as most of the heat will be restricted to the south-eastern half of Europe over the coming weeks.

We may have to wait till July for a chance of the Azores high to ridge into our part of Europe.

Even towards the end of June things look generally cool and unsettled for a large part of northern and north-western as well as western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The wind is back with gusto today. At least it's dry so far but it's not pleasant in the blustery wind. East Cork.

Fairly windy here in Meath too and regular but brief heavy showers. Feels fairly chilly today too, very autumnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Maybe a few dry days…..Is this what were reduced too? Thanks for the update though Gonzo. I’m in Dublin today north side and it’s a horrible day frequent bursts of rain. And that f-ing wind.

• Advertisement

We had a year mostly warm and dry conditions, amazed it even lasted that long. That pattern couldn't go on forever and unfortunately for us it broke just in time for the summer and now the form horse is back in charge. We will have to wait and see will we eventually get a dry and warm spell or is this tone set for the entire summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dublin always seems to get more rain than the rest of the year every summer after the may/june nice period ends. July and August often seems to be monsoon season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sunny and breezy in Arklow

18.4c

Lovely day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seems to be windy everyday now, any half decent day is getting ruined with a nice breeze. Are we getting more wind than normal?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

I feel the exact same. I think Sryanbruen said Met Eireann reported no more windy then normal for May but I don't believe them.

We have definitely had a lot more extremely windy days here in NCD then normal.

Today is 8th June and its like a winter storm out there in terms of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to 😉

Just nudged 19c there

I'm in an exposed spot,it's what most people would describe as windy most days

Here's the current data which is a warm breeze today

Sryanbruen, I know you said you would analysis wind for May so will you look specifically at Dublin Airport if you can?

I don't care what Met Eireann said I have scientific proof from my school walks by the state of my hair when I got back that it was definitely more windy than normal in May😉.

Today is a weird auld day.

This morning was sunny but the wind put a stop to it getting warm

However it's more humid than other days even when sun not shinning if you know what I mean.

It's raining on and off all day and we had torrential rain here in NCD after lunch.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got some thunder and lightning today.

We may get another brief window of dryness from late Sunday to possibly early Wednesday. Fingers crossed. Could get 2 dry and settled days from this ridge before the Atlantic topples over us again.

Appears to be alot of groupthink on this thread and the pessimism appears to be contagious. I jumped into this and the Spring thread a few times over the last while during lovely spells of weather in Cork and it rarely exercised anyone but a few days of rain and months of good weather is forgotten and the revisionism starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I think you've made your point at this stage! Complaining about others complaining makes you just as bad :)

Just because the weather was decent for a while, doesn't mean people can't be disappointed / annoyed with grey cool rainy weather for almost all of the bank holiday weekend (Unless you live in the NW).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely bright fresh day in Kerry, a bit cool in the shade and breeze but great sunshine. Out working tonight and had to wear extra clothes for a while due to the cold wind but it died away later in the evening. Got up to 16.9C and currently 12.3C

Nice sun halo this evening in the cirrus ahead of the advancing fronts set to cross over the country from the early morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo Reporting

After day 2 was a miserable one with rain most of the day albeit 6mm day 8 was another with wind 8mm of rain this time little sun and a max of 12c. The other 6 days were OK and well get 2 good ones next week.

So far in NW its 6-2 to nice days.

Still no temperature over 20c in Sligo in 2022 though.

2 years ago we had reached 26.2c by now

Today could get quite warm and muggy after the recent cold spell with temperatures possibly getting to 20 or 21C in places, I wouldn't rule out a 22C in a favoured spot with some sunshine.

First half of today will be dissapointing, damp and wet, but once this clears away in the second half of the afternoon temperatures will lift up especially in sunny spells.

Friday could also be quite warm, up to 20C and sunny in the morning but showers will break out in the afternoon with a small risk of thundery conditons.

I've made it twice to be fair in about two years of reading the thread and not posting. The thread lacks balance IMO and has been taken over by those who just want to complain about the weather or who are constantly chasing unrealistic idealised weather which we rarely actually get.

We had another update from Cork on Tuesday which took a very negative slant on what was a fine day with a three hour window of drizzle in the afternoon/evening. It was warm, dry and we had intermittent sun for the rest of the day.

Anyhow, it's raining again in Cork. Probably won't stop until September ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain in Leitrim this morning. I am allowed to report this, am I?

Lol. Moaning about people you think are moaning. Hilarious.

Another stunning morning in Cork by the way. Just can't get enough of this wind and rain.

No. The weather police on here don't allow anything that they consider in any way negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

yeah another gloriously wet morning in the sunny south east. Isn’t the weather always supposed to be scorching when the leaving cert is on yadda yadda yadda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cold and damp so far in Sligo but I'll be positive and say it will be 18c later on.

I'll prob give this day a half on my NW Summer score card so it will be 6.5-2.5 after today. Unless it stays like this all day. Bad days will likely catch up as the month progresses

Miserable morning here in NCD, lashing rain and cold yet again.

I suppose the only positive thing I can say is at least it was well forecast and hopefully it brightens up later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah miserable here in SCD also. It didn’t stop me from getting out for a short walk though.

Advertisement