Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

nobody disagreeing with this

whats it got to do with whether kenny is performing his role to an acceptable level

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

a media spoofer

tactically inept

won 5 out of 23 matches

him and his cult can take a long running jump….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

its 2022 , more is expected of forwards now. hogan offers very little out of + in possession. but i doubt you really care about that youd be crying if he made the squad over someone else anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

More might be expected of forwards, but for most forwards the main expectation is that they score goals.

which he hasnt done since january. people were moaning about obafemi not making the last squad and hes here now. theres always something. hogan hasnt done ANYTHING in an irish shirt to warrant this sort of fawning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

england fail and can ask themselves how?, they have a great league, great facilities, great players, great history.

Ireland fail and we can’t ask ourselves any of those questions. We get the appropriate return to our level of investment

irish football is small time, Kenny is a manager who, apart from the Europa league group stages, has only managed at small time levels of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sign of the times I’m afraid, we are discussing who is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's the failure against Armenia, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan and Qatar I think is the issue. We're not taking about failing to win world cups or even qualifying for tournaments. If beating teams of a much less rank and quality of us isn't a key factor for determining managing success then we really are lost.

As I've said failure to win tonight and we could be out of the group at this early stage. The Nations League is a backdoor into the Euros and something we shouldn't ignore. We need a win tonight.

failure is relative to fair expectations

kenny has playing resources available and is failing relative to managers with similar playing resources

whatever complaints one has against the FAI generating irish talent are separate to that issue, again why it keeps getting thrown up is a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You are correct

The playoffs will consist of the best teams from the Nations league that do not qualify directly, I believe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I didn’t mention the FAI, they carry some responsibility but it goes deeper.

in terms of Ireland’s playing resources; you may see them as good players because they play in England. I really only see Seamus Coleman as a player who’s gone against the best in the PL and regularly come out on top. For the rest I’d see them as players at PL level that were rarely decisive, rarely came out on top; hendrick, duffy, Stevens, callum robinson McClean. The rest are kids or lads who didn’t even make it to the PL.

they should be capable of beating Armenia but I’m not surprised they haven’t. They aren’t decisive players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What has Kenny done in the Irish dugout to still have disciplines fawning over him?? Obafemi hasn’t made previous squads because of Kenny. Not anyone else. Not his form, he’s one of the only Irish players scoring. Just Kenny

he hasnt made previous squads because his hamstrings are made of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Stop trying to make Chris Hughton happen. He is a dinosaur and he has been found out everywhere he's gone. We have no good players, there's some potential but no one really is a top player. Scotland and Wales have a few each and that's why they're doing better than us now.

We can try and play football or try and grind out draws as we had been doing since the class of 2002 got too old. I'd rather we just gave up playing football than to go back to the MON and Trap and Mick 2 days.

That's only partially correct to be totally transparent about it.

lets be honest, it was a whole lot better for him to get a run going at club level with the injuries hes had especially sinces hes a player built on his agility and quick turns of pace. better for swansea to look after him and manage him game by game to see can he manage the load of a sat-tues/weds-sat in championship than put more pressure on him to play a few more games with us. he seems to have held up well thank god because we all know we need him desperately at this point. being a bit cautious aboit the situation wasnt wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

It is amazing the entitlement that some Irish people who follow the Irish team have!

What gives Ireland the divine right to think they should beat Armenia. Armenia have defeated Iceland, Romania, Greece, Bosnia and North Macedonia recently. These are teams at Irelands level and higher.

Do people not realize that the neglect of the game by John Delaney over the last 20 years as lead to this point and Ireland have not produced a quality player who can hold their own in the premiership in a long time. The squad is of a average championship quality, yeah some people still look at Ireland and think we should be competing with better nations.

It doesnt matter if it is Kenny or Klopp in charge, the results would not change because you cant just go out and buy new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Chris Hughton was not "found out everywhere he's gone".

That is such complete bollux. Every club he has left were greatly improved from when he took them over, barring Forest.

He has one failure on his CV - the Forest job.

Kenny got Dunfermline relegated, never hear anything about that. He took LOI champions Shamrock Rovers to 4th and got booted for it.

Don't know why I'm arguing with some utter armchair idiot who would rather not play football - than have to suffer through competing in international tournaments and play-offs. Some going when we have no good players.

What the f*ck do you even mean by saying we can try to play football or try and grind out draws - it isn't one or the other. And certainly anything that Kenny is doing isn't working. I'm also interested in what your definition of football is - passing it around the back for extended portions of the game? Riveting stuff.

The problem isn't Stephen Kenny. The problem (or question, rather) is why aren't we producing top quality players anymore? Where are the next Keane's, Irwin's, McGrath's, etc?

Something has gone south at grassroots level. Our current team is shite, it doesn't matter who coaches us.

We should beat Armenia because we have better players than Armenia. Glad I could clear that up for you.

The Championship is a better league than many European top flight leagues. Even if we were to use this as a guide - Championship rated as the 11th best league in the world. https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/ Can't quite find the Armenian league on there where a bunch of their players play - wierd.

Why would it not matter if Kenny or Klopp was in charge? You think managers have 0 impact on their teams? Why even have them at all? You expect identical results with a League of Ireland veteran vs a Premier League, Bundesliga, Champions League winning manager? Christ what an embarrassing comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean like you're getting a bit angry there with the name calling etc over a discussion about football, relax ffs.

Based on absolutely nothing.

Try a different sport because you haven't a clue about this one.

If you want to provide some sort of argument as to why that will be the case, fire away. I'm sure it'll be riveting.

We'll see after tonight's game. Hopefully we win. If not there could be a lot of LOI Kenny fans quiet here tonight and tomorrow. Out of another group in the early stages.

I really feel Kenny needs 4 points at the very least over the next 2 games or as Ive said it's a long road to 2024. That's what losing to Armenia does to you.

false dichotomy between "**** football" and "results" serves neither side of the argument

Hughton is decent, and would most likely do a better job than Kenny.

But the manager isn't the issue, imo. It's the country's ability to produce talent. Something has gone rotten in Ireland.

The problem is Stephen Kenny.

There other problem is quite easy to explain. A criminal ran the FAI into the ground, neglected underage football in this country and outsourced development of our young players to a different league.

That league has since become the richest league in the world, the most competitive league in the world and Irish players are having to compete with people from nationalities they never had to before for a place. It means that they aren't breaking through like they did before, and are often breaking through at a lower level when they do so.

That will take time to correct. But Stephen Kenny certainly has nothing to do with it. His job is to win senior mens international football matches, and he is failing spectacularly.

only if you are saying we have worse talent than armenia, qatar etc

I'm not concerned in the slightest with the short term, because the longer trend is what worries me most. That's the part that you seem to be oblivious to even though I couldn't have been clearer. But I'll try again.

We had a talented squad in the 90s, with underage teams performing well or winning international tournaments, with that generation (Duff, Keane, etc) feeding the senior squad.

Now look at us. A very poor squad and not much coming through. Certainly no Robbie Keane's or Duffs are coming.

This means we are in a long term decline, perhaps for decades to come. This is the issue I'm more concerned about.

Do you understand my point now? I'm predicting a straw man response. Let's see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You need pragmatism and flexibility to be an international manager and definitely when you are dealt a poor level of standard. You can go out and buy players at club level to suit how you want to play, you can't at international level. He is hopelessly out of his depth

The Irish national team have the most deluded bunch of supporters you'll come across though. Trapattoni was hounded out for his style of play yet he was the most successful manager in decades. You have clowns like Dunphy then thinking we should be playing like Pep's Barcelona.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement