Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way to force the mobile version on browsers?

Options
  • 06-06-2022 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance if this question has already been answered - the Search function being what it is, I can't find anything useful. It's a pretty simple question - is there a way to make Chrome on Android serve up the touch/mobile version of boards?

I set up an 8" Android tablet for someone today and the version that's coming in is the desktop one. Using that on a smallish tablet is not the nicest of experiences and it would be much better if the mobile/touch version was served up. I can't see anywhere to force Chrome to do that. Unless there's no other option, I don't want to go down the road of installing another browser on the tablet in question. Space is tight...

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Chrome has a responsive view mode simulator, but it's probably unusable. option options, more tools, developer tools, and there's a button with a small phone image to a larger monitor symbol. But if you close the developer tools, the option ends making it pointless.

Firefox has a better implementation of this, where it stays on on the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Thanks. It looks like I'll have no choice but to install Firefox on the tablet and hope for the best. I don't know why I'm surprised that this basic functionality isn't on boards. Nor will it, I expect.

I wonder are people with 7" tablets also affected by this? Desktop Boards is bad enough on an 8".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The old vbulletin based platform made the choice easy with a single button that set a cookie, but Vanilla lacks that option, like so much other basic functionality.

Advertisement