Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jack Nicholson’s a lot of fun in Batman, but it’s a silly, OTT performance in a silly, OTT film. There’s nothing particularly menacing or sinister about it - it’s a great actor having some fun above all else. The film itself is pretty flimsy in many regards, so there’s not really a whole bunch going on beneath its eye-catching surface level.

Ledger, on the other hand, created a villain that is equal parts funny, creepy and inscrutable. What particularly impressed is how it’s an actor really pushing themselves in ways none of us had really considered possible. Not that Ledger wasn’t a fine act, but to see this wild, unpredictable and captivating performance from him was startling. The tragedy of his death will always cast a massive shadow over it, but on its own terms it’s still a performance of remarkable power and depth (especially for a character with such cartoonish, absurd roots).

While Phoenix gives a strong performance here, there’s no surprise factor: we all knew he’s an actor of immense capability, and indeed the manic unpredictably associated with Joker as a character is something Phoenix had wholeheartedly channelled before in the likes of The Master, Inherent Vice, The Immigrant, You Were Never Really Here and others. He’s as good as you’d imagine here - especially the unhinged physical energy he brings to the table - but there was no doubt he’d be that good. I think that’s why the sheer surprise factor of Ledger will always stand out more for me. Also potentially that I feel The Dark Knight and indeed many of Phoenix’s previous films have more going on to support and enhance the performances than Joker ultimately does.

All IMO of course, and ultimately we’re all probably better off that we have these very different takes on the same character available to enjoy and scrutinise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Penn wrote: »
    There can be no real "Best Joker" argument, because each Joker suits the movie they were in and probably wouldn't have worked in any of the other ones. Even Leto's Joker suited the movie he was in, because he was dogsh*t and so was the movie.

It's not often that I literally lol at a post on here but you got me there. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Penn wrote: »
    Even Leto's Joker suited the movie he was in, because he was dogsh*t and so was the movie.

Can we get this quote on a movie poster....

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,682 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was only a matter of time.

Joker 2 Reportedly Being Written By Original Movie's Director
    Joker 2 will reportedly see Todd Phillips, who directed and co-wrote the original Joker movie, return to co-write the sequel for Warner Bros.
    A new report says that Todd Phillips, who directed and co-wrote the original Joker movie, has been brought on officially to co-write Joker 2. The first film, which starred Joaquin Phoenix as the titular DC supervillain, earned widespread critical acclaim and won several major awards, including an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Phoenix. The sequel has been highly anticipated by fans since the original’s release.

Co-written by Scott Silver and director Todd Phillips, Joker put a classic Hollywood spin on the villain’s origin story, with clear homages to films like Taxi Driver in particular. The movie took place outside the core DCEU canon, which allowed for drastic differences in tone and style, as well as an R rating. Phoenix’s performance as the Joker has generally been viewed as one of the character’s best portrayals.

According to a report from THR, Phillips will return to pen the script for “the next Joker installment.” It’s unclear whether or not original co-writer Silver will also be coming back for the sequel, but Phillips' return suggests he’ll also likely be directing Joker 2. Warner Bros. has announced a large number of new, relatively independent DC film projects over the past year, and it should be interesting to see how Joker’s unique style fits into those future plans.

Though it was a major critical hit, Joker wasn’t without its controversies. The film’s sympathetic story of a man who turns to violence after feeling ostracized by society was heavily criticized for perpetuating a dangerous message that such violence is justified. In an era when mass shootings and domestic terrorism are frequently in the news, many people were understandably upset at how sympathetic the Joker - traditionally written as a psychopathic character - was portrayed.

Whether or not the sequel decides to deal with those issues remains to be seen. The original film sets up some interesting new connections between Joker and the Wayne family, and that storyline could become even more important in Joker 2. It seems unlikely the film would dive too deep into the DC comics, however, as Joker isn’t narratively connected to any other DCEU films and likely won’t be in the future either. Between Joker 2 and the Robert Pattinson-led, Matt Reeves-directed The Batman releasing in 2022, fans will have plenty of opportunities to return to the cinematic streets of Gotham City.

https://screenrant.com/joker-2-movie-writer-todd-phillips-return/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jesus Screen rant really would want you to burn your eyes out with their thinking out loud.

Looking forward to what Phillips will do and it will be interesting to see how, if at all, he responds to the first film being a "copy cat."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a shame to read, though maybe not entirely surprising. I didn't like Joker at all, but can at least respect at least the genuine, creative intent from which it sprung. Something different was tried and even if the end result was (IMO) subpar, applaud the space it was given to happen at all.

Knocking out a sequel just reminds that as artistic as the pretensions might have been, Phillips was still playing with a valuable IP geared towards franchises and sequels as a default response to success. I'd still argue Joker's success was the Barbara Streisand effect in action, so a sequel would certainly put that theory to the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,412 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was best as a one off, given that the film is kinda heavy do you really want to repeat the experience? I know this analogy doesnt make any sense but I wouldnt have wanted to see Schindler's List 2

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Jesus Screen rant really would want you to burn your eyes out with their thinking out loud.

Looking forward to what Phillips will do and it will be interesting to see how, if at all, he responds to the first film being a "copy cat."

He'll just copy-cat another movie :p
    The Joker Part 2: Videodrome lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well we had Joker: King of Comedy, so presumably Phillips' sequel will be uhhh, hmm. Joker: Kundun? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He can just do the same as he did with Hangover 2 and just make the exact same movie again but in another country.

Joker 2: Clown Prince of Crimea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The Killing Joke

Finally got around to watching this. Relentless mediocrity really but Phoenix was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is on RTE 1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

watchin right now and so far its like a cross between Taxi Driver and The King of comedy 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So much so that they even cast Robert DeNiro lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Scorsese considered directing it too, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

No mention on Leto? Haha. An abomination of a film, absolutely brutal. Should be erased from history. I was actually blushing watching it. Certainly a case for "less is more", he was so over the top it was just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i presume he killed the psychiatrist at the end hence the bloodstained footprints ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I think I prefer Pheonix Joker over Ledger. The last 15mins of the dark knight scene at the abandoned building site was rubbish.

So it looks like the sequel has a script, and a working title... my immediate wonder is, will this inch closer to the Batman mythos at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Todd Phillips really loves ruining his movies' legacies with unnecessary sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How can it?

Bruce is a child to the Joker's middle age in 'Joker'. By the time Bruce reaches an age where he can be doing Batman stuff the Joker will in his 60's in this situation.

Not necessarily Batman; with Joker in the clink you'd probably get short odds on the possibility of Dr. Harleen Quinzel being the new shrink in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah ok. Sorry a "Batman mythos" without Batman just seems...pointless...to me.

In any case, I couldn't care less about this joker universe really. 'Joker' was just OK and nothing I hadn't seen before. Frankly, its success was a bit bewildering to be honest.

I still think there was a Barbara Streisand Effect going on with this, after it got scooped up in hysteria and scaremongering that it'd be a rallying cry for incels and whatnot. The press on this was insane, it was always going to get eyeballs. I don't think the final film was without merit - and I'm glad it exists as an example of a creative choice away from Generic Superhero - but not sure it was $1 billion worth either.

But at that kind of box-office, based on a comic-book character? There was always going to be something developed as a sequel. I'll keep an eye on it out of curiousity but a follow-up feels more than a little redundant.

You'd imagine Phillips will get absolutely free reign on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Love Joker, felt it was a great movie with a captivating performance from Phoenix.

I never really had any issue viewing it as a part of, or removed from Batman lore.

It's not often you get a sequel to a psychological thriller like this, so very curious to see where it goes. He left the movie in a very different place to where he started it, and I'd wonder where they'd go with that. I guess the Harley Quinn route is the most fitting, given the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Could the title be referring to Bruce ?

I do like your idea of it being Harley though - it would be good if the film was mostly in the hospital shows her slowly cracking in her dealings with Joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just feel Harley's more logical given the age difference displayed between Bruce & Arthur.

Killing the psychatrist after claiming "You wouldn't get it" is such an inviting line for HQ to come in on, someone that has the potential to get him over the course of a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭buried

Can't see the need for a sequel to this whatsoever. The only reason the first film works is the performance by Phoenix and the gradual character build up from a disturbed/abused albeit functional persona into a total psychotic chaotic murderer. A sequel would involve no character build up and basically nowhere to go, only 90 minutes of a chaotic character continuing to go cracked. Can't see Phoenix agreeing to retain the role either.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
Advertisement